Search Unity

Happy Holidays from Unity Technologies!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by HiggyB, Dec 11, 2009.

1. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

To help celebrate the closing of another amazing year and the holiday season, we'd like to offer everyone a special end of year discount of 20% off any purchase made in our online store! To take advantage of this offer just visit our online store and enter ENDOFYEAR2009 in the field labeled rebate coupon to receive the discount! Visit our online store today by clicking on the following link:

Unity Online Store

The end of year discount is only valid through December 31st so make sure you take advantage of this opportunity before the year comes to a close!

2. Lab013

Lab013

Can this be used along with a previous indie license to get a huge discount off pro?

3. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Yes, this discount can be applied against the existing discount offered to owners of Unity Indie 2.x to upgrade to Pro for even less! Translation: if you haven't done so already you can upgrade to Pro for only $880 (20% off the discounted $1100 price)!

4. mehware

mehware

Oh You guys have MADE my day! Happy Holidays. Thanks Unity.

5. Dreamora

Dreamora

Happy holidays to the UT staff too. Hope you all are going to take it a little easier for the week from christmas till new year :)

6. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Thanks all, it's been an *insane* year hasn't it? What's more is that it's been so insane because of all of us. We make great tech, y'all make great content, together we can all succeed and do even better in 2010!

ROCK ON!

7. nickavv

nickavv

You guys are awesome. :) Unity iPhone here I come!

8. scinfu

scinfu

Why if it proves to Upgrade to Pro from Unity or Unity Unity iPhone Basic

Unity iPhene Advenced I pay € 1099?

and if I upgrade to iPhone Advanced from basic € 800?

To subtract the coupon yet !!!!

9. Dreamora

Dreamora

10. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

I'm not understanding your question at all, can you rephrase it? The coupon is good for any purchase or any upgrade...

11. scinfu

scinfu

1)
    if i Upgrade to Unity Pro from Unity or Unity iPhone Basic and I add to my Cart Unity iPhone Advenced The total is : €2198.00

2)
    but if i Upgrade only to Unity Pro from Unity or Unity iPhone Basic i pay €1099.00

and later Upgrade to iPhone Advanced from iPhone Basic i pay €800.00

and the total will 1099+800 = 1899 .

where am I wrong?

12. Dreamora

Dreamora

Then the adding was not done right, you didn't add the addon but advanced from "the bare nothing".

13. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

I'm confused as that still doesn't make sense. The total cost you are citing is for a brand new purchase of Unity Pro with Unity iPhone Advanced, you are simply not citing anything related to an upgrade price.

Unity Pro: €1099
    Unity iPhone Advanced: €1099
    Total: €2198
    (before the 20% discount)

If you are _upgrading_ from Unity Indie to Unity Pro then that part of the upgrade is €749 (before the holiday discount). If you are _upgrading_ from Unity iPhone Basic to Unity iPhone Advanced that is €800 (before the holiday discount).

Again, you are not citing an "upgrade" price, you are citing a full purchase price.

That is the only proper upgrade price I've seen you quote so far. :)

Let's get to basics, tell me what license you currently own and what license you would like to own and I'll explain what it will cost and we can compare notes. Sound good? :)

14. scinfu

scinfu

ok sorry for my english but i'm a little confused

i have a serial for Unity Indie + Unity iPhone Basic .

What is the final Price ?

Edit

i want to buy Unity Iphone Advenced

15. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

You can't get Advanced without Pro, if that's the issue you're running into.

--Eric

16. Dreamora

Dreamora

The final price is (€1549 - 20% coupon) * ( 1 + VAT )

17. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

What was happening here is that you were looking at the price to upgrade to Pro from Unity, not Unity Indie, and in that case you have to remember that those that own Unity paid nothing for it so they get no discount whereas you own Unity Indie and you do get a discount!

Do it in two steps:

1. Upgrade to Unity Pro from Unity Indie (with your Unity iPhone Basic add-on intact). This will cost €749 before the 20% discount, or €600 after (plus any applicable VAT).

2. Then you will upgrade from Unity iPhone Basic to Unity iPhone Advanced. This will cost €800 before the 20% discount, or €640 after (plus any applicable VAT).

Total: €1240 to upgrade (plus any VAT) from Unity Indie with Unity iPhone Basic to Unity Pro with Unity iPhone Advanced. In all this you'll save €309. :)

18. scinfu

scinfu

LOL excuse the situation but I can not ...

to step 1 return an error this

This serial number entered is not for the required product. The required product was Unity v2.x, but the entered serial is for Unity Indie v2.x

I remind you that I have a unique serial Unity indie (old) + Unity iPhone Basic

19. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

scinfu: either PM me (do not post it here, only send via PM) your serial number, or if not that the email address you have associated with it so I can look it up. I'll see if I can sort this out for you. All in all the price I quoted for you is the one you should pay if you have Unity Indie + Unity iPhone Basic and you want to go to Unity Pro + Unity iPhone Advanced, so we'll get you there regardless!

20. giyomu

giyomu

ohhh cool ,

I think i am going take hammer and break in piece my little piggy bank and finally upgrade to pro XD

thanks guys ;)

21. cwflyer8

cwflyer8

HiggyB

I just upgraded to Pro and I'm excited!

I do have a question...My upgrade receipt indicates
    "Unity Pro with iPhone Basic rebate"

Can you explain what the "iPhone basic rebate" is?

22. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Sure, you're actually benefiting from not one, but two discounts! You know about the 20% due to the coupon you used, but hiding in there is another $200 off due to a special rebate we have going for those that bought Unity Indie that upgrade to Pro, this is being offered in the wake of us deciding to give Unity away for free.

Before Unity (formerly known as Unity Indie) became free, the upgrade cost from Indie to Pro was $1300. You'll notice that before using the 20% rebate coupon the cost is only $1100, that is the "rebate" in the line you're referring to. Now for the holidays we're letting folks save yet another 20% off through the end of the month, so it's a double-rebate. Make sense? :)

23. scinfu

scinfu

PM Sent

24. cwflyer8

cwflyer8

Not entirely but then I'm sometimes dense! :D

I understand I'm benefiting from two rebates in the purchase price but I don't understand the relationship to the iPhone Basic part of the equation.

The receipt e-mail I received seemed to indicate that I now own
    iPhone Basic...or is it merely than I am entitled to a discounted copy of it? (beyond the 20%)?

25. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Replied! :)

26. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

I looked at a copy of your receipt email (I get a copy of every purchase receipt in my Inbox :) ) and from what I can tell you owned Unity Indie with Unity iPhone Basic and you upgraded (with the discount) to Unity Pro with Unity iPhone Basic. The "rebate" bit you're discussing has nothing to do with anything Unity iPhone related, it has to do with Unity Indie/Unity Pro and it's just a poorly worded email (yes, I've made a note to update it). Now, if what you're saying is that you never owned a Unity iPhone license then it would appear that you either (a) forgot about that purchase, or (b) got over for free on us by some glitch in the system. :eek:

27. spg

spg

arghhhhhhh! Just a week ago I said, "I need to buy Unity Pro by the end of the year to get my Indie->Pro discount"

So I lost out on like $200 because I didn't wait a week? I guess I've never had good timing.

28. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Sure, but you did benefit from $200 in savings by not waiting any longer.

Have you activated that new license? If not then contact me before you do!

29. spg

spg

I've already activated it - bummer!

30. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

31. spg

spg

32. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Fair enough, can't argue with that! :D

33. Discord

Discord

Very awesome! I planned on getting Pro while I still had the discount from being an Indie customer. This definitely seals the deal! :p

34. PrvtHudson

PrvtHudson

yeh. me too. giggle giggle.

First thing I am going to do is forewarn the citizens of my world, over closed circuit tv's, that the end is near and then flood the whole damned place with full-screen green gas. As my hero holds his head in his hands, he realizes he has been spared and as he peers out through his fingers, he sees the shadow of the rising sun spread between his feet and realises hell aint such a bad place to be.

35. Deleted User

Deleted User

Just bought Asset Server!

Thank you!

36. Gaspedal

Gaspedal

last week bought unity pro (without rebate) and today iPhone Advanced. Thanks!! :)
    I'm so happy. But my wife doesn't know it. Because she would kill me :roll:

37. Peter D

Peter D

Ahh a boat I know only too well :oops:

38. Peter D

Peter D

This is the blasted annoying (yes I know it's not your fault) thing that always stops me buying unity pro and iphone advanced!

The tax applied totally negates the bloody 20% discount. So in the end all I get is the rebate for already owning indie and basic. If you sold out of the US, then not only would it be cheaper for us in europe but, we'd actually get the discounts you guys try so hard to give us!

This (below) is the annoying reality of trying to purchase Unity in the UK AAAHHHHHHHH

Review Order
    Description Items @ Total
    Upgrade from Unity Indie 2.x with iPhone Basic to Unity Pro with iPhone Advanced 1 €1549.00 €1549.00
    End of year discount from Unity Technologies! (20% of €1549.00) €-309.80
    VAT (25% of €1239.20)
    (only applicable within EU) €309.80

Total €1549.00

39. Malveka

Malveka

Wow! This is quite a generous discount. If I had been two weeks less eager on my purchase of Unity Pro I could have saved $300. :roll:

Still...so it goes. I feel like I got a very good value for my investment regardless, and I have no regrets at all about supporting a company making tools of this caliber.

Happy holidays to the Unity team!

Cheers,
    Mal

40. TrickyFishy

TrickyFishy

You guys are fantastic! I just upgraded to Unity Pro for Christmas!

Thank you guys very much!

41. Swine

Swine

This may be a stupid question, but could I buy something today for 20% off and then buy something tomorrow and get 20% off that purchase also?

42. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

I can understand that the 25% VAT charge is a hard hit and we may sell out the USA in the future. We're just now moving HQ here, but we haven't switched over to revenue recognition here as it's an operational thing more so than a financial thing for now. But with that in mind...

I just don't get how VAT charges "negate" any savings and I'm puzzled when folks say that as it's 100% _not_true_. Let's do some math:

[edited to use your numbers so you can show me how no discount is offered]

No Rebate
    Review Order
    Upgrade from Unity Indie 2.x with iPhone Basic to Unity Pro with iPhone Advanced 1 €1549.00 €1549.00
    VAT (25% of €1549.00)
    (only applicable within EU) €387.25
    Total €1936.25

With Rebate
    Review Order
    End of year discount from Unity Technologies! (20% of €1549.00) €-309.80
    VAT (25% of €1239.20)
    (only applicable within EU) €309.80
    Total €1549.00

Hmmm, look at the two totals, seems clear to me that you saved €387.25! Please clarify for me how VAT "negated" any savings? If that's the case then please pay us that extra €387.25. :p (no no no, keep the savings... :) )

Having to pay VAT charges is an unrelated parallel issue that really has no bearing on whether our rebate codes offer you a discount or not. We offer a coupon and you do save money compared to the non-rebate situation, that doesn't seem debatable to me. If you want to have a VAT discussion then so be it, I can understand the frustration there, but the reality is that it simply doesn't "negate" savings. :)

43. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Yes. :)

44. IPete

IPete

VAT @ 25% ???

Where do you live - not in the UK me thinks!

VAT in the UK has been 17.5% for many years but at the moment it has been reduced anyway to 15%.

Its only at 15% until 1st January 2010.

I guess this makes the Unity offer even better than you thought!

45. Bones3D

Bones3D

Bah humbug...

I got bit in the butt by this deal by only a few hours. I ordered the Unity Indie to iPhone Basic upgrade on the 10th and they spring this on us on the 11th. :p

Unfortunately, sales is telling me they can't do anything about it...

46. Peter D

Peter D

I live in the UK but, the VAT applied to Unity is nothing and I repeat nothing to do with where in europe you live. Currently VAT in the UK is actually 15% on goods and this doesn't actually apply to downloads. For some reason buying Unity incurs the wrath of cross border tax, which is currently 25% max. For some reason the max applies to software downloads, even though I could get away with paying as little as 7% or nothing at all (if the item is less than 120 pounds) on physical goods.

@Higgy

No-one in the US pays the 25% tax so they get a discount on the original sale price. I get to pay the original sale price plus added tax. The discount just removes the tax, which has nothing to do with the sale price of unity in the first place. So technically I get absolutely nothing off even though there is a 20% discount. I end up paying exactly what someone in the US pays BEFORE the discount is applied and without the discount I pay 25% more than someone in the US pays.

47. IPete

IPete

OMG I stand corrected - thanks for the information Peter D - that makes me quite angry actually.

Is there no way around this?

48. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

The VAT charge applied is based on the country of origin for the goods being sought, not the country in which the purchaser resides. For goods coming from Denmark the VAT amount to apply is 25%.

If you've installed and activated your license that is correct, if you haven't then PM me right away and we can discuss potential options.

The above is just not true, you do not pay "the original sales price plus added tax", you pay a *discounted* sale price plus VAT. Yes, I get it, folks in the EU must pay any applicable VAT charges if you're not a business with a VAT ID whereas others outside the EU don't, but that simply does not remove the fact that you do save money on the original pre-tax price with the coupon as opposed to without it.

Yes, it does affect the sales price of Unity in the first place. If you want to complain about having to pay VAT then fine, but that does nothing to remove or obviate the fact that the rebate coupon does in fact save you something. Call/write/plead to your local/national politicians about this, we have to abide by the tax laws like everyone else, that is not something we can control and it's your governments putting you, residents of the region, at a price disadvantage, not us.

Until we're at a point where we don't sell out of Copenhagen your only ways around this are:

1. Register yourself as a business, get a VAT ID and *poof* you pay none of this.

2. Move to a country that's not a part of the EU VAT circle of death. :p

As I've mentioned sales coming from the USA may eventually happen but we're still in the process of sifting out what operations are based here in the USA versus Denmark versus ??? So for the time being all sales still originate out of Denmark.

Again folks, I can understand the complaints about having to pay VAT, but please separate that from the question of "does this coupon save you money?". Sure, the overall price is less for folks outside the EU compared to those in the EU, but that is not a byproduct of this coupon so much as it's an entirely separate conversation to have elsewhere.

49. IPete

IPete

Thanks for clearing up the 25% bit Higgy, I did not realise until you pointed it out, that the charge is based on the country of origin.

I still think that the 20% discount is awesome - thanks Unity.

50. zumwalt

zumwalt

I suggest having a country wide "Boston VAT Party" but since the only thing that comes to mind this late in the afternoon that rhymes with VAT is FAT (and it is a FAT tax), I guess the entire country would need loads of pig lard to dump into the ocean instead of tea. Don't think it will really do anything other than cause a huge stink, well maybe feed the fish. No worries though, at the rate we are going in the US into debt, we'll be right there with you in about 3 days.