Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Handling Large Asset Folders

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by unity_TDDSDgArOznmxA, May 22, 2020.

1. unity_TDDSDgArOznmxA

unity_TDDSDgArOznmxA

Hi all,

I am working on a project where I have a HUGE number of asset files (mostly 3D objects), that amount to some 90GB. Ofcourse, I cannot drag them to my assets folder, as it takes forever to import and load these objects in Unity. Also, Unity practically freezes when I do that. I only need to randomly import a select few objects at runtime. Is there any way to keep these assets outside my project folder and still import them as I wanted? It would be a great help if that can be done.

Thanks a lot in advance for your time and help!!

2. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

If you like to use all the asset, there is no simpel way around importing them all.
    There are some asset that allow you to import FBX file sat runtime, but this is performance intensive and not relay good especially if you need to have them animated or scripted.
    If its just the import time, just start the import in the evening and leave it overnight.
    Make sure you have engnoth disk space for all the imported assets that unity will need in the library folder.

If its just static models you might be able to automate the generation of Assebundles for all the object sepratly and load just the assetbundles at runtime.