Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question handheld AR and desktop version in the same Unity app?

Discussion in 'AR' started by alinator_bambie, Jun 5, 2023.

1. alinator_bambie

alinator_bambie

Hi all,

I am trying to understand the capability of the software to create an interactive artwork. I need to create a single app that would combine a location specific AR work (with physical targets in a gallery) and a desktop based virtual world. The idea is to have a feedback loop between the two, so the AR elements that are activated by the users in AR view also show up in a desktop view. So while desktop view will not have real time stream of the gallery space, it will have a stylized 3d model of the gallery space and the targets, and will have all AR components appear when they appear in the AR view.

Is it possible to make a Unity app that would combine AR and desktop functionality in this way?

Please let me know if you have any tips about it. I have been googling for hours but can't find answers.

Thank you very much!

2. CiaranWills

CiaranWills

Unity Technologies

You can, but you will need separate builds of your application for different platforms (mobile, desktop) and you can use platform defines to enable different code on each platform. Depending on how different the app behaviors are that may or may not be a good approach.

3. alinator_bambie

alinator_bambie

hi @CiaranWills thank you for your response. In this case, will it be possible for the desktop users to see the elements that are placed into the world by the AR users?

I will check out platform defines.

4. andyb-unity

andyb-unity

Unity Technologies