Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Hand painted texture pack - Natural Surfaces

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Blaze_K, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Blaze_K

Blaze_K

The pack is now available on the asset store! Current price is only 65$
    Grab it here:
    LINK TO THE ASSET STORE

----------------------------
    Update 1.10 has been released! You can see new additions on page 4 of this thread.
    Update 1.2 is on the way! Check the last page for info.
    ----------------------------

This pack contains 133 highly detailed textures depicting various types of ground, grass, rocks, snow and other surfaces commonly found in nature.
    Currently there are following sets inside:

Forest
    Sand
    Mud
    Ground
    Grass
    Rocks&Stones
    Winter
    Vulcanic

Here's more examples:

If you want to take a look at all of textures currently available in the pack, check these sheets out:
    https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-...AAAAAAADWk/hPpcc-r9Xek/s1300/Comp_Forest1.jpg
    https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-...AAAAAAAADWo/qHyprZBpQhw/s1300/Comp_Grass1.jpg
    https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-...AAAAAAADW8/zU4AGNOQvIg/s1300/Comp_Ground1.jpg
    https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-...I/AAAAAAAADW0/VCvLAdQ0ZRI/s1300/Comp_Mud1.jpg
    https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-...AAAADXE/mWfznA-nlVc/s1300/Comp_RocksBrown.jpg
    https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-...DXM/xqahLWGlnek/s1300/Comp_RocksGrayGreen.jpg
    https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-.../AAAAAAAADXU/GpG84bo1Y_o/s1300/Comp_Sand1.jpg
    https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-...AAAAADXc/in-vG3p0KNA/s1300/Comp_Vulcanic1.jpg

The pack will be updated with new textures, I do intend to make hand painted packs with different themes as well.

------
    EDIT: i removed the content of original post since those questions are not relevant anymore.
    Note: pics in following posts show earlier versions of textures, which had contrast and brightness issues. Finished textures are ones that you can see in this post.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  2. p6r

p6r

They are absolutely fantastic !!!
    Packs with themes are great.

6R

3. malyna

malyna

Wyglądają świetnie !

Are the textures tileable ?
    I think that current variation level is suitable.
    Separate texture sell absolutely make sense.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  4. janpec

janpec

Perfect textures how much will it cost? They are comming with normal maps too right?

5. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

I think they look excellent, but super washed out. I'd probably just tweak levels a bit.

6. wccrawford

wccrawford

I think that grey background isn't helping. I think even if just that were changed, it would help a lot.

7. Blaze_K

Blaze_K

@ P6R - Thank you!

@ Malyna - cieszę się że się podobają.

Yes, all of above textures tile in both axes.
    Check out some samples:

There's some small issues like darker spots along edges but i'll fix those.
    Texture size is 512x512 so it's bound to get repetive on huge flat surfaces but all those variations will hopefully make it easy to hide that.

Not sure about the price yet, since the pack keeps growing bigger. I think it's safe to say that it won't be extremely low or extremely high compared to other packs out there.
    Not this time, i'm afraid. Normal mapped hand painted textures usually involve a completely different workflow compared to standard ones. They are sculpted in zbrush or mudbox and then baked down. making them that way is a much more tiring for me.

I might make versions with normal and specular maps using photoshop if lots of people demand them, but that would come after the first version of pack is released.

@ PrimeDerektive - thanks for the pic! I'll definitely push the contrast more. i'd wait for more opinions before i decide how much though.
    As you can see i already tweaked levels on the tiling pic above. do you think they're satisfyingly contrasted?

@ wccrawford - what kind of background would you propose then? Grey is neutral and i assumed that neutral = good.

EDIT:
    Crap, i forgot to post these:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  8. propapandagames

propapandagames

These textures look good to me. Though I'd probably also like to see the contrast pushed a bit more.

Could definitely see myself picking up some of them at a reasonable price. I'd recommend offering the textures separately as well as in a bundle at a discount.

9. crafTDev

crafTDev

10. napster

napster

textures are looking a bit less contrast and highlights looks dull

11. SteveJ

SteveJ

What's the ETA on this pack?

12. Blaze_K

Blaze_K

Thanks for comments!

It turns out that contrast on my LCD was set too high, which explains a lot.
    Here's a new texture!

Tell me if you want it to still be more colorful or contrasted, or if it's ok like this.

@ SteveJ
    Release date depends on pack size, but it's no sooner than few days from now and no more than 1,5 week.
    At the moment there's about 30 textures, which i made in 2 weeks. In one more week i'd probably be able to make 20 more, and 50 textures seems like a nice amount for the basic pack.

I guess unity has some system for updates for existing products, but i haven't read anything about that yet.

13. Balmyrian

Balmyrian

Looking great. I'd be very interested in a full pack of those textures when it comes out.

To answer your questions about which ones could be missing, here's a few suggestions:

- River Sand (more grainy and chunky than desert sand)
    - River Pebbles (stones polished by water flow)
    - Forest Floor (fallen leaves and wooden debris)
    - Fallen pine needles (quite a bit like your grass textures but much higher density/crosshatching)

14. GiantGrey

GiantGrey

those textures are looking great! I would buy them :)

15. Blaze_K

Blaze_K

thanks propeller! hopefully you will have an opportunity to do that soon.

good suggestions, Balmyrian.
    in fact i did give forest floors a try some time ago.
    check them out, as well as one of new rock textures:

also, i made a quick model to see how the texture from my previous post looks like on actual geometry:

maybe i should sell that texture together with mesh, although that model is super basic.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  16. Blaze_K

Blaze_K

damn, those textures always look fine to me when i work on them in photoshop but when i look at them here they feel too dark.

here's one of brown cliff variations:

it's starting to look slightly metallic, maybe i should tone down the edge highlights.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  17. q7204k

q7204k

Awsome textures. Especially I like with grass.
    Can you give an advice how to make similar one?

18. AdamWaters

AdamWaters

Great looking stuff. I love some good hand painted textures!

19. Blaze_K

Blaze_K

thanks!

i'm still at the stage of experimenting with different approaches and developing new techniques. Because of that each texture was made in a slightly different way. sometimes i satart by drawing thin, bright ' ^ '-like shapes that emphasize edges , other times i will use thicker round brush and make simple strokes and define edges later.

Anyway, here's new ground texture:

...and updated rocks. Is this the kind of contrast/brightness that you find suitable?

Old version can be seen here:
    https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-.../MJ3htq2WtKc/s/HP_PackPreview_GreenRocks1.jpg

i can bring the green tint back if you prefer it.

20. q7204k

q7204k

Thanks for advice :)
    I'm also experimenting a lot but still far away from "goooood textures". I don't know why, but grass, sand, snow etc - much harder for me than stones or wood.
    Are you using special brushes or stamps?

21. Blaze_K

Blaze_K

i made some pebbles.

not really. i have tons of custom brushes but so far I haven't figured out a way to make them useful while making hand painted textures.
    i did use texture overlays few times for additional details.

22. Blaze_K

Blaze_K

behold, the scarp is here:

23. crafTDev

crafTDev

:-O

Make some snow and ice textures (with ice crack variations)...

When is the pack going to be available? Are these on the asset store yet in singles?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  24. janpec

janpec

Oh thats okay, i am just going to sculpt normal map then of your diffuse. I was actually pretty much sure you were using Mudbox sculpt-diffuse workflow becouse it just felt like they were done by this method. Again the textures are perfect.

Are you using Photoshop only?

25. outtoplay

outtoplay

Wonderful work, they're beautiful. But I"m curious, why are they 512x512? I can see why I'd use 512x512, but not why the originals would be that. With devices getting more powerful by the month, seems like 1024x1024 at least would be a more attractive product.

26. Blaze_K

Blaze_K

Thanks for feedback.
    I'm happy to present you ROOTS.

@ outtoplay

there's few reasons for 512x512:

1. i'm pretty ignorant when it comes to capabilities of mobile devices.
    2. almost all of packs or environments i've seen used 512x512 so i assumed it's the default resolution
    3. hand painted textures are already time consuming to make in 512x512 and making them in 1024x1024 would really slow down the process. i'd like some monies before i grow old and senile.

that said maybe i will make a high res pack someday.

@ janpec

I do have some normal mapped stuff in my portfolio that will most likely end up on asset store.
    It's not hand painted but feel free to check them out and if you spot something that interests you, let me know.
    (note: some pieces aren't for sale)

you can find them on b-kaczmarek.weebly.com

And yes, textures from this pack are being made purely in photoshop.

@ jrDev

Sure! i already started experimenting with snow.
    I've been planning to make a separate winter pack after this one is released, since i can think of at least 20 textures with winter theme.

Textures aren't available yet, i gotta fix some stuff first and then prepare all those packages.
    Is there any limit to how many assets you can send daily or hourly?

27. Blaze_K

Blaze_K

LEAVES!

there's few variants with different coverages.

28. fano_linux

fano_linux

awesome work

29. Blaze_K

Blaze_K

thanks!

now here's something hawt:

30. Blaze_K

Blaze_K

The pack is over 60 textures now! i guess i gotta stop thinking about what else could be added and just release that thing.

31. crafTDev

crafTDev

If I ask, would you mind doing variations on a texture? I would pay you per variation...

32. Blaze_K

Blaze_K

I'm not sure if understand you correctly. You would want me to create different variants of textures that you will provide, or to make variations of my textures?
    But yes, I'd be willing to do this in either case.

33. huxley

huxley

I love how this pack is coming together. I'll definitely be a buyer. The style is a perfect blend between artistic painted and photorealistic, I thought that there should be more contrast/shadow at the beginning, but after your recent adjustments, I would not change anything. I think 512 x 512 tileable is fine. maybe release a 1024 hd pack of the same textures and charge more later. Hopefully it will be a big seller and you can release another pack wi your scifi textures. I especially like your scifi wood textures

$ad_nn20.jpg

As for the nature pack, I would like some sand like another poster requested, both desert sand, beach sand, and pit sand, dry long grass flattened, like wheat or straw, super short grass like putting green grass, limestone, asphalt, concrete. Also as many transitional edges as you can make, maybe offer a transparent grass edge that can be overlayed on wherever there is a seam to transition. It's also nice how you kept the color palette of each texture relatively similar so if I need to color correct for a different environment (I.e. I need rocks for desert environment instead of grey forest) I can more easily make those tinting changes.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  34. Blaze_K

Blaze_K

thank you Huxley!

Actually, i just prepared a small sci-fi pack that i will send to the store tomorrow, you might want to check it out! It's nothing too sophisticated but quality is high and hopefully it's one of those things that can fit in all kinds of environments. resolution is 1024x1024, fully normal mapped.

Yeah, i definitely want those textures to be tweakable. that's one of reasons why i refrain from using too much levels, overlays etc.
    It's a destructive kind of editing and if someone tries to tone it down later some artifacts would appear.
    Maybe i could make a set of photoshop actions that push colors/saturation/brightness in different directions and put it in the package.

More sand variety and wheat/long grass is definitely on 'to do' list. Still, if i keep on adding so much stuff the pack will never see the day of release.
    Can links to updated package be sent automatically to people who bought the first version?

---
    btw, here's one more piece from vulcanic set:

35. huxley

huxley

If you update the pack after release, everyone who purchased the original can download the update directly from the asset store without troubling you. This is also a good way to cut down on pirates, as only asset store users who have paid for the pack will have access to the updates.

36. SteveJ

SteveJ

Any update on when this will be released? Over a month ago it was "no more than 1.5 weeks" :)

37. Blaze_K

Blaze_K

Yep, sorry to keep people waiting.
    I had to deal with some unrelated stuff which made progress slower. But the pack also kept growing during that month and it currently includes almost 120 textures!
    I want them all to have a similar level of polish and since they use a fairly detailed style polishing them takes more time then i initially expected.

That said it's almost finished now. I'm pretty sure that I'll send the first version for approval during the next 2 days.
    I'll also post some new pics later today

38. SteveJ

SteveJ

Sounds like it's gonna be one hell of a pack! Can't wait :)

39. order66

order66

Looking forward to this pack. You decided on a price yet?

40. Blaze_K

Blaze_K

I have. but i'm still having those "it's too high" "it's too low" thoughts so I'm hesitant to announce it at the moment.
    One thing's for sure - there will be a discount during the first week of sales.

here's some newer additions - clovers, long grass, forest floor with holes and moss:

41. Krileon

Krileon

If you're open to pricing feedback I'd pay $100 for such a large quality texture pack (and hopefully ongoing additions?). Wouldn't go any higher then that though.

42. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hmm, I never like the idea of huge texture packs or single texture sales because there is a chance that most of textures in the pack I will not use or that the 1 texture is not worth the asking price. A better idea is to do texture theme packs like the grass/foliage theme or a lava theme and put them on the store for $20 a theme pack. You can also still have the huge texture pack on store but give me a choice please...

43. Blaze_K

Blaze_K

Thanks for replies, i will take them into account.
    The pack will be below 100$, at least with the current number of textures.
    And yes, there will be additions. both as the part of the pack and standalone.

I am indeed leaning towards (also) releasing thematical packs, rather than single textures. it seems like it would be a huge pain in the ass to upload them all manually.
    It's unavoidable that in bigger bundles price per texture will be better than in small ones. That said i'll try my best to ensure that small packs are still an attractive product. sets don't have an equal amount of textures so i think price would differ on some of them. They would be between 10-25$ i guess.

44. Blaze_K

Blaze_K

ok, after a painfully long seam removal session this thing ready to be put on store!

I replaced the old screens in the first post with ones that show the current look of textures. check out the bigger set on the first page!

45. SteveJ

SteveJ

Can't wait 'till this is up... got big plans for this pack :)

46. crafTDev

crafTDev

OMG!
    Yes! $10-$25 theme packs works for me! :)

47. Blaze_K

Blaze_K

^ Good to hear!
    I got all happy when i saw the 'asset was accepted' mail today.
    But... then it turned out that it's listed as declined in publisher administration :neutral:
    not sure what could have gone wrong with it, it's just 105 bitmaps and readme.
    I have sent a mail to the team, hope they will get this sorted out soon.

48. Blaze_K

Blaze_K

No reply from Unity team so far...
    In meanwhile i made 1 new long grass texture and a wood chip texture that someone requested. Both will be included in the first update!

(they're WIP)

49. eotiti

eotiti

oh this is good texture
    i can't wait to buy it
    i need it to my project
    you can talk with unity team quickly ?

50. Blaze_K

Blaze_K

I'm glad you like it.
    I really wish this issue gets sorted out soon, but I'm not sure how to get team's attention besides what I did already.
    I posted two times in the publisher administration thread, i sent one mail to bugs@unity.com and one mail to asset store administration.
    Asset store manager Caitlyn doesn't accept any private messages.

If i don't get any response i'll just send the pack again. If there is an actual problem with the assets they should at least tell me what's wrong so i can fix it.