Search Unity

Hair Tool

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by andrii-shpak, Dec 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andrii-shpak

andrii-shpak

Not yet. I need to make some optimizations first.

id0 likes this.
  2. goat

goat

Are there plans to port these GPU shaders to I'm not sure with version of openGL is capable, I think openGL es 3.1 so that Android and osX are supported and not just DirectX 11.

Thanks

3. jdraper3

jdraper3

It happens in the demo projects as well.

4. amarillosebas

amarillosebas

On a clean project, pressing the "A" gives the following error on the console:

Assertion failed on expression: '!(transfer.IsRemapPPtrTransfer() && transfer.IsReadingPPtr())'
    UnityEngine.Object:Instantiate(ComputeShader)
    GPUTools.Hair.Scripts.Physics.GPHairPhysics:Initialize(GPData) (at Assets/GPUTools/Hair/Scripts/Physics/GPHairPhysics.cs:12)
    GPUTools.Hair.Scripts.Settings.GPBuilders.GPHairBuilder:BuildHair(HairSettings) (at Assets/GPUTools/Hair/Scripts/Settings/GPBuilders/GPHairBuilder.cs:33)
    GPUTools.Hair.Scripts.Settings.GPBuilders.GPHairBuilder:.ctor(HairSettings) (at Assets/GPUTools/Hair/Scripts/Settings/GPBuilders/GPHairBuilder.cs:16)
    GPUTools.Hair.Scripts.Settings.HairSettings:Start() (at Assets/GPUTools/Hair/Scripts/Settings/HairSettings.cs:26)

The only other script that I have on the project is a camera movement script, and disabling it still doesn't fix the error. Only when disabling the Hair Settings script the error stops.

The error also occurs when the game initializes.

5. andrii-shpak

andrii-shpak

Yes. I have plans to support android, mac, ios. I'm already working on that

zhangxinghao and mysticfall like this.
  6. andrii-shpak

andrii-shpak

It is bug: you can remove update function in HairSettings.cs or write me on support mail and I'll send you fixed update

7. Carpe-Denius

Carpe-Denius

Does it support meshes with blend shapes?

8. amarillosebas

amarillosebas

Sometimes the hair stops being rendered when the camera (game or inspector) get's close enough. Modifying the LOD settings has no effect in this. Why would this happen?

9. andrii-shpak

andrii-shpak

It's fixed and uploaded to asset store.

hopeful likes this.
  10. andrii-shpak

andrii-shpak

Not. But I plan to add its support

11. pan-master

pan-master

but i still could not find these hair in updated version

12. amarillosebas

amarillosebas

I think there's been a issue with the update because it's still not there. The latest version in the asset store is the one from February 1st.

13. Piahouka

Piahouka

Can Hair tool create plait hair style?

14. amarillosebas

amarillosebas

Hey andrii, any update? You said that a the bug I reported was fixed and uploaded to the asset store, but that seems to not be the case as the latest version in there is from February the 1st. I've decided to wait for that update before continuing working with your asset in case I need to redo somethings, but time is passing.

15. andrii-shpak

andrii-shpak

Could you write me to my support mail? I'll send it you dirrectly.

16. andrii-shpak

andrii-shpak

Approve can take 1-3 weeks.
    It was problem with clipping bounds. Could you write me to my support mail? I'll send it you dirrectly.

17. andrii-shpak

andrii-shpak

Not yet. Actualy I have no idea how to make it.

18. andrii-shpak

andrii-shpak

Blend shapes in unity works though skinned mesh renderer. Hair tool supports skinned mesh renderer only for creating hair geometry inside unity. For imported geometry not yet. But I plan to add it soon

19. Crossway

Crossway

Before buying I need to know can I create beard or eyebrows when I use morph system to animate my face?

20. andrii-shpak

andrii-shpak

Skinned mesh is supported but I didn't try it with facial animation. I'll make some test demo next week and let you know

Crossway likes this.
  21. ixikos

ixikos

Hey, this looks like an amazing tool! I had a few questions about features that I haven't seen in the videos. Is it possible at runtime to edit and change the hair like you are doing with the Unity editor tool (the brush)

I need to make a hair cutting simulator, can I change heights of strands? Potentially using colliders on strands at runtime and modifying the height to that part of the hair where the collision occurred.

22. andrii-shpak

andrii-shpak

Editor Scripts works only in unity editor. It is possibe to chadge most of parameter from core, but for some properties you will have performance problems as after editing you should send data to GPU.

23. id0

id0

hairBug.jpg

I have a bug like this. I think its linked with avatar layer mask somehow. When character just walk it's ok, but when he start shoot - layer turn on (or off(?) - he is aiming upper body). When animator disabled (char down) everythin back to normal.

24. andrii-shpak

andrii-shpak

It because IK uses LateUpdate() to override animation.
    In your case wirst execure hair physics and then IK.
    To fix it change script execution order of GPHairPhysics.cs

hopeful and id0 like this.
  25. blackant

blackant

hello,

i can't make it works on my character, but i tested the demo scene and everything looks perfect,
    i searched for your forum and documentation but all is gone.

i get it to work on a simple sphere

the step to make it working is only to add script creator to scalp, then settings to a child and define wich asset does what..
    what did i missed?

(A close button for the edit brush panel would be appreciate)

also i tested the script for 3ds max 2017, and i get nothing...

Edit: i noticed this error on console:
    Assertion failed on expression: '!(transfer.IsRemapPPtrTransfer() && transfer.IsReadingPPtr())'
    GPUTools.Hair.Scripts.Physics.GPHairPhysics:Initialize(GPData) (at I:/Projets/Unity/Test/Hair Tools/Assets/GPUTools/Hair/Scripts/Physics/GPHairPhysics.cs:12)
    GPUTools.Hair.Scripts.Settings.GPBuilders.GPHairBuilder:BuildHair(HairSettings) (at I:/Projets/Unity/Test/Hair Tools/Assets/GPUTools/Hair/Scripts/Settings/GPBuilders/GPHairBuilder.cs:33)
    GPUTools.Hair.Scripts.Settings.GPBuilders.GPHairBuilder:.ctor(HairSettings) (at I:/Projets/Unity/Test/Hair Tools/Assets/GPUTools/Hair/Scripts/Settings/GPBuilders/GPHairBuilder.cs:16)
    GPUTools.Hair.Scripts.Settings.HairSettings:Start() (at I:/Projets/Unity/Test/Hair Tools/Assets/GPUTools/Hair/Scripts/Settings/HairSettings.cs:26)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  26. blackant

blackant

a little note about 3dsmax script,
    it works, but it doesn't work when you drag and drop it from unity project to 3ds max scene.
    strange behavior, you have to open it from run script menu.

But well, after that point when i import it in unity,
    i set the script like you do in your video, but i get a message to set segment to a different value like 18 for exemple

so i get back to max and rebuild geometry with 18 segments;

now i have to set it with 19 ??

well, i finally updated the plugin, was working with an old version, but the importer looks weird like you can see

And after more tests and retry, i finally get the spline correctly imported, buuuuuttt...
    still no hairs on him

GPUTools.Hair.Scripts.Physics.GPHairPhysics:Initialize(GPData) (at Assets/GPUTools/Hair/Scripts/Physics/GPHairPhysics.cs:12)
    GPUTools.Hair.Scripts.Settings.GPBuilders.GPHairBuilder:BuildHair(HairSettings) (at Assets/GPUTools/Hair/Scripts/Settings/GPBuilders/GPHairBuilder.cs:34)
    GPUTools.Hair.Scripts.Settings.GPBuilders.GPHairBuilder:.ctor(HairSettings) (at Assets/GPUTools/Hair/Scripts/Settings/GPBuilders/GPHairBuilder.cs:16)
    GPUTools.Hair.Scripts.Settings.HairSettings:Start() (at Assets/GPUTools/Hair/Scripts/Settings/HairSettings.cs:26)

Attached Files:

27. blackant

blackant

And another and last one post for today (sorry for trolling)
    i get some results, and it seems my problem doesn't come from shader himself but is linked to camera distance

Screenshot at 2017-03-24 19 53 50.png
    with a distance over 5.4 it works, under it's hidden,
    so i have to fund where to check this parameter

and i don't understand logic behind it, because i can zoom on the hairs with a camera on top but when the angle is coming very low everythings leave...

can it be due to mesh normal ??
    Screenshot at 2017-03-24 20 28 26.jpg

28. hopeful

hopeful

Are you experiencing a LOD issue?

29. blackant

blackant

i have no idea what i'm experiencing to be honest ...:confused:

30. andrii-shpak

andrii-shpak

It looks like an old bug with bounds. Do you use newer verssion of hair tool? Try to play with hairsettings=>standsettings=>bounds

31. MrG

MrG

Your website is gone...will it be coming back?

Also a UMA has just come out with version 2.5 (free on asset store)...could you do a write-up on how to use Hair Tool with UMA 2.5, please?

32. andrii-shpak

andrii-shpak

Site works now.
    Ok I'll play with it next week

MrG likes this.
  33. andrii-shpak

andrii-shpak

I've added write to normal depth texture, so SSAO and other similar post effects works without transparency issue.
    Also I've fixed this old error: "Assertion failed on expression: '!(transfer.IsRemapPPtrTransfer() && transfer.IsReadingPPtr())"

The new verssion is waiting for approve now. If someone need it faster, write me to my support mail.

sickbattery likes this.
  34. MrG

MrG

I'd love to see your Cloth Tool hang that pretty red dress on a UMA too...I know that tool is pretty new and that might be a big ask, but we'd love to have nice dresses, long neck scarves, and capes on our UMA's :)
    UMA 2.5: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/35611

35. sickbattery

sickbattery

OMG FINALLY! -.- ... ... sorry, but this made the effect completely useless to me as I use a lot of SSAO like effects and I was so angry because of that. I switched back to a static mesh for hair. ... but finally I can use this and my money isn't wasted. So, how long does the approving process take usually? Should I wait? Should I ask per email? ... I'll ask per email when I come home.

Thanks!

36. caoyuxi

caoyuxi

Hey man I am running into some problems when we try to integrate into VR
    1.if i keep the debug draw not checked on HairSetting , the frame rate dropped massively compare if we checked on debug draw the hair settings. whats happening over there, it seems like if we checked the debug draw it turn off something and make it run faster.
    2.In HairGeometryCreator static mesh creation process , it sometimes can get really slow and jitters when i enable the brush, which cause it super hard to edit and make the hair. sometime the brush mode just froze there. i was using my own mesh and vertex numbers is not that level crazy.
    3.when my characters move really fast, the hair start to stretching which make it not looks like the hair any way , which parameter i should tweak? i made the gravity zero and make the drag to 1.0 , but it seems still have this stretching.

jdraper3 likes this.
  37. jdraper3

jdraper3

That's the main issue I have, which - no matter how good it looks - makes it completely unusable at the moment.

38. hopeful

hopeful

It sounds like there needs to be a variable you can adjust to limit the response of the hair to movement, like setting a ceiling, and forces beyond "point X" will not influence hair.

jdraper3 likes this.
  39. andrii-shpak

andrii-shpak

Did you try to increase PhysicsSettings=>Iterations?
    Value > 10 should resolve the problem

jdraper3 and hopeful like this.
  40. laugre

laugre

Hello,

I up to Unity 5.6.0 and last Hairtool 1.2.3f1.
    But I get a
    Shader error in 'GPUTools/Hair': 'UnityObjectToClipPos': cannot implicitly convert from 'float4x4' to 'float4' at Assets/GPUTools/Hair/Shaders/Include/GS.cginc(33) (on d3d11)

and no hairs...
    plz help

41. andrii-shpak

andrii-shpak

Please write me to my support mail, I will send you updated verssion

42. digicraft63

digicraft63

Hi!

Just bought this promising hair tools. But I cannot get it to work in Unity 5.6. I have done what is instructed in the first tutorial movie; selecting this Internal-DepthNormalTexture.shader to the debug GraphicsSettings > Depth Normal > Shader.

Then I have placed Styles.prefab in my scene. I can see the bust and the hair strands in the scene view but when I hit play the bust is moving but there is no hair showing.

What am I doing wrong? Have I missed out something?

Grateful for some advice here.

43. id0

id0

Hair broken in 5.6. Where is update?

44. digicraft63

digicraft63

S***!! I need this to work at once. Now that I have installed Unity 5.6 and converted the project I cannot go back to a previous working version.

Want my money back if this is not fixed very soon.

45. MrG

MrG

5.6 has been out barely a week...expecting vendors to turn around an update so quickly is absurd. Asset Store updates can take up to two weeks alone, not counting the dev time to fix whatever this latest version broke. Stamping your feet, threatening, and all the tantrums will not encourage expedience from anyone.

cwmanley, KWaldt and hopeful like this.
  46. digicraft63

digicraft63

Yes, I understand that. Apologies to all the struggling developers. I was just frustrated that something that I thought would work does not. But I´ll find another solution meanwhile.

47. hopeful

hopeful

Usually it is wise to avoid immediately updating to a new version on release, and waiting for the 0.1 version is even better. New versions of the engine are typically plagued with bugs.

I'm not sure how this will play out in the future with Unity shifting to a new release pattern, the 2017-etc. series. Maybe upgrades will be less painful. (But probably they will continue to be painful, and it will still be wise to wait for at least the first bug patch, and for store devs to catch up.)

jdraper3 and KWaldt like this.
  48. andrii-shpak

andrii-shpak

It is fixed and uploaded to assetstore, but approve on assetstore can take 1 - 3 weeks. If you cant wait, please write me to my support mail and I'll send you it dirrectly.

MrG likes this.
  49. Dinesh_Punni

Dinesh_Punni

Hey, i have a specific problem and consider to buy your Hair Tool.
    Can your Hair Tool create realistic looking arm hair on any arm mesh(e.g. the leap motion model)?
    Unfortunately your demo doesn't show any example of arm hair. Could you post a picture where you add some hair on an arm model, so i know that your product solves my problem.

Kind regards,
    Dinesh

50. andrii-shpak

andrii-shpak

Could you write me to my support mail?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.