Search Unity

Hair Tool

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by andrii-shpak, Dec 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knightmore

Knightmore

I don't know what you want him to add but you can achieve this by seperaing your scalp into two zones: The long hair around (for diversity change the three length attributes) and the bangs.

2. pan-master

pan-master

an example of short hair at forhead, and long hair around

3. andrii-shpak

andrii-shpak

pan-master and hopeful like this.
  4. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

I love this tool.

It's not stopping me from making a build, but how would I stop this error:

Assertion failed on expression: '!(transfer.IsRemapPPtrTransfer() && transfer.IsReadingPPtr())'
    UnityEngine.Object:Instantiate(ComputeShader)
    GPUTools.Hair.Scripts.Physics.GPHairPhysics:Initialize(GPData) (at Assets/GPUTools/Hair/Scripts/Physics/GPHairPhysics.cs:12)
    GPUTools.Hair.Scripts.Settings.GPBuilders.GPHairBuilder:BuildHair(HairSettings) (at Assets/GPUTools/Hair/Scripts/Settings/GPBuilders/GPHairBuilder.cs:31)
    GPUTools.Hair.Scripts.Settings.GPBuilders.GPHairBuilder:.ctor(HairSettings) (at Assets/GPUTools/Hair/Scripts/Settings/GPBuilders/GPHairBuilder.cs:15)
    GPUTools.Hair.Scripts.Settings.HairSettings:Start() (at Assets/GPUTools/Hair/Scripts/Settings/HairSettings.cs:26)

5. pan-master

pan-master

Will it be included in next update:D?

hopeful likes this.
  6. WarpZone

WarpZone

I'll consider a purchase after you release a demo that proves the scalp intersection has been fixed.

The complicated fix would be to collide with a sphere centered on the scalp somehow. The simple fix would be to offset the entire wig vertically under whatever conditions cause this behavior.

You could also just insist that your users always delete the top and back of the head if ti's not deliberately bald there, which is what a lot of games with dynamic hair like Dead or Alive tend to do. But even if you go that route, you need to say this on the page and reflect it in your demo assets.

The demo, as-is, advertises this as a bad product, despite all the clever programming that clearly went into it.

Attached Files:

7. ForceX

ForceX

I like how you point out that company's with millions of dollars to assign to products have the same issues as a product created by an indie developer, yet the latter you consider to be a "bad product".

This is the type of criticism that is of the not helpful variety.

If you see an issue simply post your problem, ask for assistance, and or state what you think is causing the issue and how it may be fixed.

8. andrii-shpak

andrii-shpak

Yes

hopeful likes this.
  9. andrii-shpak

andrii-shpak

It is improved for the next update. It is very hard to fix it complitly but I'll try.

hopeful likes this.
  10. WarpZone

WarpZone

It is blatantly being marketed as a AAA product designed to give Unity games a AAA aesthetic. I'm judging it as such, because my players will be judging my game according to the standards set by other games they've played that have dynamic hair, most of which are AAA.

And I didn't necessarily say the hair was a bad product. I said the demo advertises it as a bad product. If you want to use plastic-looking mannequins as the vehicle to display your hair, that's fine, but said mannequins had better not clip through the very hair they're trying to showcase.

And if the people who invented the hair can't make it look good, what hope does an indie developer have? It needs to Just Work, out of the box, in as many different use cases as possible. Scalp collision would be nice, but if the only solution really is "delete parts of the skull," then the advertisements, the storefront, the documentation, and above all the DEMO need to reflect this fact. Otherwise people will buy it and be unpleasantly surprised, or else see the demo like I did and decide not to buy it. Because "just look at it, it doesn't even work."

I don't care which fix the developer chooses, but whatever they decide upon needs to be implemented in the demo so that we can all SEE for ourselves that the damn thing works before we drop money on it.

11. Knightmore

Knightmore

I tried a lot of hair styles the last month and I wonder if it would be somehow possible to extend this solution to create braids (maybe as a premade option for the mesh generator)

12. ForceX

ForceX

@WarpZone : I honestly do not see anything in the demo that could not be worked with. If any thing the demo shows an honest repensation of what you can reasonably expect, and I like what I'm seeing.

Working with the perceived potential limitations how about texturing your skull cap to help mask any early intersections?

It may be possible to strengthen the strand stiffness near the root. Never hurts to ask.

All else fails simply design your own hair system.

13. ForceX

ForceX

@WarpZone : I have taken the liberty of compiling an wire frame compost of your "Trouble Area". So you can see exactly what is going on. I think it's important to note the hair strand mesh resolution because it plays an important role in how the hair is going to deform.

Where you see redish-brown is hair above the scalp.
    Where you see only wireframe is the hair root below the scalp, which is a small amount.

To me it looks like it comes down to smart hair design. Simply don't go to flat at the root and your safe.

Edit:
    I do not think the "Bald Spot" is the hair strand clipping through the scalp. It just looks like it needs a few more hair strands, because there just are not any in that area. Which feeds back into my "Smart Hair Design" theory.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  14. ForceX

ForceX

Interesting idea.. If it were to be done with the hair strands you would need to be able and twirl the hair guides around one another with a cushion spacing between them. I don't know how precise the hair tools in Max are, if you can manipulate the guides on a per point basis or only as a group via the brush tool, you might be able and tweak them into position. The guides would probably need to be assignable as a group so they would keep there shape while moving and not just move through each other?

Unfortunately probably the easiest way to do this atm is rigging a mesh braid and use a normal map to try and make it look like hair strands.

Who knows perhaps andrii-shpak has some secret sauce he can apply to this tasty asset.

15. pan-master

pan-master

OK, I dont know how much of help it is going to be but please take a look at

at 29.25 , There is a talk about some trick for shaders to improve performance from GPU

kurotatsu likes this.
  16. andrii-shpak

andrii-shpak

Thanks for video).
    He suggests how to send particle data from compute shaders to CG or Surface shaders by linking (without sending big buffers to CPU and then again to GPU) I have use this technique for cloth and for hair as well. Peformance is not the biggest probem here, but to make cloth ease to configure and blend feature between skin animation and physics.

17. andrii-shpak

andrii-shpak

Also I'll try to grow hair for each polygon more smart. At now it is fully random so it is possible to find empty areas

18. andrii-shpak

andrii-shpak

I thinks it definitly should be an option of mesh generator.

Knightmore likes this.
  19. ForceX

ForceX

No worries on my part. @WarpZone had concerns that the hair was clipping through the scalp in that example. I was just attempting to show what was really happening; at least as I was understanding from what I was seeing.

Your doing great work @andrii-shpak, the Unity community is lucky to have you as an asset creator :)

chiapet1021 and kurotatsu like this.
  20. id0

id0

Hello. Great hair you make, and now it's work with all type of lights fine! But is it work with light probes? I make level with only ambient sky lightning and light probes without any direct lights, and it's black. It's only changes when ambient color changes in "Lightning" tab

hairProbe.jpg

And another question: when I switch cameras - hair broken (For example in cutscenes one character hidden, and where is appear (and some cameras too) - there is no hair at all and I see error. How can I fix it?
    Already got that - there was no "main camera" tag on cameras.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  21. SammmZ

SammmZ

Hey! The hair renders looks outstanding! But is it a way to use asset without Blender/Max? Or use it with Maya?

22. Knightmore

Knightmore

You can design your hair inside of the unity scene window. Check out his tutorial about it.

23. andrii-shpak

andrii-shpak

[But is it work with light probes?] Not yet. It is very hard to add light probes to CG shaders. But I'm investigating in this direction

id0 likes this.
  24. nxrighthere

nxrighthere

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    ksam2 likes this.
  25. andrii-shpak

andrii-shpak

26. laugre

laugre

Hi

Be careful with last update 1.2.1 from today (1st of feb).
    I updated in my currently working project and thing went totally crazy
    like if my model put fingers in a plug ^^

kurotatsu likes this.
  27. Piahouka

Piahouka

I tried my hair,but hair is thin.and when I change camera angle sometimes camera does not render hair at all.

Attached Files:

• hair.PNG
      hair.PNG
      File size:
      186.1 KB
      Views:
  28. andrii-shpak

andrii-shpak

I've added a curves insted of root - tip interpolation, so you have much more of control now. But it is bad compatible with old versions. Sorry for that. Next months I plan to work more on quality and stability, so new updates will not be so different.

hopeful likes this.
  29. andrii-shpak

andrii-shpak

Root / Tip interpolation curve is line at the edge. Because of that it is not tesselated.
    New update was approved for one day (usually it is 1 week) So I had no time to make video tutorial of new hair settings. I plan to publish it today.

hopeful, kurotatsu and Shodan0101 like this.
  30. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

Well sorry for the wait, and as @andrii-shpak gave his blessing as I used Hair Tool which is my new "go to" hair solution, here is the first featured asset video to give people an idea of what AI Warrior's approach to AI is all about.

I'll also be making a video in the future featuring Cloth GPU Tool from him after it exits beta.

The featured asset video below is the first to show what can be created with AI Warrior, and other Premium assets I support, as well as their authors I believe in.

Featured assets:

AI Warrior from Kurotatsu Studios.

-ootii's Motion Controller, Sword and Shield Pack with Camera Controller.
    -Adam Goodrich's Gaia, Gena, and Pegasus.
    -3D Forge's Village Exteriors Kit.
    -Shpakivnia's Hair Tool.
    -Guzu Cloth Editor.
    -kripto289 Mesh Effects.
    -Mirza Beig Ultimate VFX

31. Artanic

Artanic

I'm using SSAO and the Ambient Occlusion picks up the underlying head instead of the hair. Is there a way to stop this or is there another AO addon that works with this?

Also is there a way to bind hair accessories. Like either make it follow the hair simulation or dampen an area of the hair so it doesn't move as much (like for a hair clip)

jdraper3 likes this.
  32. andrii-shpak

andrii-shpak

The way it to write normals to depth buffer in CG shader. I can't find any documentation how to do it. But I know it is possible. I hope I'll fix it soon.

I plan to add it in the next update

grimcat, jdraper3 and hopeful like this.
  33. peter-s496

peter-s496

got a bug with this update, whatever i do, remake mesh, whatever, always get 1 strand on the border of my object going crazy, other than that the update was awesome in terms of making really nice hair, without a fix for this its unusable for me though, only saw this since this recent version, hoping its an easy fix but been on this from 9am till now at 2:30pm

jdraper3 likes this.
  34. peter-s496

peter-s496

The only way I have found to fix this is to make ur scalp, then retopo it with a box as the base of the retopo, but even then it may take a few tries

35. jdraper3

jdraper3

I get the same issue. Also, since this update, I only get the physics strands being rendered - even in the demo scene.

hair problem.png

36. andrii-shpak

andrii-shpak

I will try to fix it today. Please write me to my support mail. And I'll send you a fixed update dirrectly.

37. andrii-shpak

andrii-shpak

Play with HairSettings=>RenderSettings=>Root-Tip Interpolation.

38. jdraper3

jdraper3

Hey, thanks for the reply - I tried tweaking that curve before, but couldn't get it to look quite right. I'll try again.

39. davide445

davide445

Will be possible to use hair tool to animate existing hair?
    For a scenography video I need to animate this classic character, I suppose will be really difficult to create with Hair Tool this complex hair style.

40. andrii-shpak

andrii-shpak

Now not, but I'd like to make it possible.
    To support this kind of style I need to simulate each individual stand. It is possible with gpu physics. Or make some scripts to analize style and convert it to work with current system.
    Optimistic I plan to have it near april/may.

41. davide445

davide445

I need to have it done before may, need to think if something I can do with current tool can be enough. Thanks for the fast answer.

42. peter-s496

peter-s496

That hairstyle really wouldn't be too difficult to make, given the new update

kurotatsu likes this.
  43. RamirezArtJam

RamirezArtJam

Your tool looks fantastic but before I jump in and purchase it, I want to ask if the tool can add variation in the hair colour besides a gradient from root to tip. Right now all of the example hair looks very uniform. If we were able to add variation so that hair strands that are darker or lighter can be mixed in, it will perfect the look.

Is this a feature that I am just not seeing in the videos, or is this a feature that you will be adding? Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  44. peter-s496

peter-s496

There's a few ways to add colour, if you're assigning a tip, highlight and root colour you can use a cuve to adjust the values to get a nice blend of the three, also there is a colour painting tool if you did want to spend a lot of time going into fine detail, or you can use a list of colours that are applied from the root to the tip, I've found I can get heaps of varied and great looking colours with the tools provided

45. andrii-shpak

andrii-shpak

It can use ve
    It have 3 options for coloring.
    1) gradient root - tip
    2) list of colors root - tip
    3) per hair vertex color. (you can paint hair geometry in unity(geometry creator) or in blender or 3dmax).
    It is very ease to use but I'll try to add tutorial this week.

kurotatsu likes this.
  46. peter-s496

peter-s496

also anyone with the current single hair strand going crazy bug, if you retopo the skull cap youre using, but make sure you dont retopo to the very edge of the skull cap, that seems to work

47. id0

id0

I've just notice, is it hair not receive shadows from point/ spot light?

48. peter-s496

peter-s496

Actually nvm, this only fixes it sometimes, spent 3 hours doing different retopos to get this to work the second time

49. peter-s496

peter-s496

Nevermind this doesnt fix it, im wasting entire days with this bug :(

50. andrii-shpak

andrii-shpak

Could you send me package to my support mail?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.