Search Unity

Hair Tool

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by andrii-shpak, Dec 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaimi

Jaimi

That would be pretty cool. I hope the author responds. :)

2. markashburner

markashburner

I have already added it to UMA, it's fairly simple to do:

MrG and hopeful like this.
  3. MrG

MrG

I'd suggest you might write up a walk-through for the UMA wiki if the asset somehow survives this deprecation.

4. ifayad

ifayad

@hopeful well I guess only the author has the answer. Signing for a full time job and suddenly deprecating all your assets isn't the right move imo. The hair asset (never tried the others) is in a pretty stable state right now, he could've left it and tweaked it once in a while to keep it up to date. It wouldn't take much of his time. I don't know if the new SRPs are the issue, they shouldn't be I guess. He just have to include a reworked shader for each the light and HD RPs(unless Unity has some funky business practices and he was forced). In all cases, I don't know his circumstances, pray everything's fine, and I wish him best of luck.

5. Fluffy-Tails

Fluffy-Tails

I was happy with this product and excited to see it's future, but now it won't have any.

Is it possible, since this product is deprecated, that I can get a refund?

This is the LAST time I buy anything in beta, I am SO burned out from departures.
    I wish you happy trails in your future, but consider the future of those whom buy your stuff and then just close up shop without any sort of notice at all.

Honestly, that's sort of shady and you have lost a lot of respect from me.

I will PM you for a possible refund, given that I haven't had this asset for very long.

6. andrii-shpak

andrii-shpak

Just send me purchase order to my mail and I'll procced refound

7. MrG

MrG

@andrii-shpak Could you please at least talk to us a little? Tell us why? Is this about the SRP's in Unity 2018, or did you have a life event happen that has forced this decision? We'll be a lot more understanding if you'll explain this decision.

8. andrii-shpak

andrii-shpak

It was part time projects. I usually worked on them during weekends and by evenings. I was trying during 2 years to make it enough profitable to leave full time job. But no success. Reasons are well known small auditory, 30% get assetstore + goverment taxes.
    Now I can't work so mutch just for fun.
    It is not the worst solution. Worst solution is to stop update it without let anybody know. In this case Current customers can still use it and downdload from store. I will not give anybody permissions to support it as opensourse while present small probability I continue working on that.

k_a_p_p_o likes this.
  9. andrii-shpak

andrii-shpak

SRP's in Unity 2018 is not the reason. Alctualy I didn't resourched what it SRP's. The reason is described in upped unswer

10. markashburner

markashburner

That's a damn shame man, you sound fairly bitter. Which makes no sense whatsoever, it doesn't cost you anything to have assets purchased on the store. It's an easy way to make pocket money on the side line while you focus on your more important jobs.

I was sincerely looking forward to buying your water asset as well. I mean how can you not appreciate the fact that people are buying your assets?

It sounds to me that it's more trouble to take them down then to leave them up. Unity is a great community of people, creative ambitious minds....why you chose to isolate this community will always be a mystery to me. there is no hassle with updating the assets, you can always work on them in your free time? You don't even have to put too much work into them at all? It's better just to leave them up instead of deprecating them. Even if I don't get an update from them in a year, I will still be satisfied.

There is far too much bitterness in you in regards to the Unity asset store. I thought the price of your assets was reasonable considering the talent you put into them. I just don't understand what you are gaining from taking these assets down?

how will it benefit you?

I mean if you don't want my money. How is that beneficial? To me it's a foolish decision but it's your decision and i just think you're leaving a really great community behind. Probably the fastest growing community in game development right now. You can easily make a living off of it as well. And work on other projects. It doesn't make any sense...

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    Malbers likes this.
  11. markashburner

markashburner

Would I be able to purchase your water asset tool through other means?

If you want me to pay direct for the asset, without going through the asset store, I will be more than happy to.

I was really looking forward to purchasing it...and then poof, it was gone, vanished before my eyes, before I could even pay. It's so frustrating.

EvilFox and joaotitodemorais like this.
  12. joaotitodemorais

joaotitodemorais

Same here. If not on the asset store, at least provide us an alternate means to purchase the assets. Lots of small youtubers do so outside the asset store, so I don't think you'd have issues. :)

13. hopeful

hopeful

@andrii-shpak - Well, if you're just tired of working on them and want to move on, instead of deprecating I suggest you make them free and open source. That would be a good gesture toward your customers.

I think everyone understands burnout. But those of us who have invested in these products and have been incorporating them as solutions into our projects would like to see a future of some sort for them.

k_a_p_p_o likes this.
  14. jdraper3

jdraper3

Very disappointing that it is being abandoned for now :( I love this asset, and thankfully the latest updates fixed all of the outstanding issues that I had with it. Here's hoping that the author will decide to pick it up again in the future.

15. Fluffy-Tails

Fluffy-Tails

I'm just surprised the author isn't going to Patreon or something to ask for assistance with these assets full time.

However, the author has shown, publicly and privately in my case, that he doesn't care for the community.

Nothing personal here, but for my production needs, and his own personal life, he has a shady way of handling things and is not something I can place my trust in for business reasons.

Don't get me wrong, this asset was something I planned to use in my game, but the fact this author shows absolutely no enthusiasm in being part of the community and listening to his customers and fans tells me this asset is dead no matter what happens.

Look elsewhere people, nothing to see here.

16. markashburner

markashburner

Janet Merai you're right! It's just ridiculous, I supported the author, paid good money for his hair tool asset and was willing to buy his other assets as well and he just closes up shop? Unity should actually supply a refund method for us customers who place a lot of trust into the author. I try to be as encouraging as I can towards the author of these assets...I have NEVER complained about the pricing for assets I have bought on the store.

To just completely alienate all your customers without any notification or any other solutions is a bit shady...but I think the author has a lot of bitterness towards the community and the Unity Asset store.

And you are right, he could have easily discussed his financial issues in this thread in regards to his assets and his work flow, he could easily have said there will be no updates for a while, while he finds other means to finance himself and he could have worked out a solution with us through Patreon and other means.

It just doesn't make any sense with what he has done. It's very annoying. Just goes to show how unappreciative he is towards the people like us who DID support him!

Regardless I hope people still keep this thread alive for us current customers of the hair tool.

17. MrG

MrG

Had you considered selling out to one of the other publishers that have the appropriate talent and community standing to take your products forward where you left off? It could be a win-win for you and everyone else, @andrii-shpak

Fluffy-Tails likes this.
  18. Fluffy-Tails

Fluffy-Tails

The question has been raised many times and no answer has been given.

This author has no intention to give away or further this asset, so be rest assured this asset will die off in years to come and perhaps something better will come up better than this.

19. Fluffy-Tails

Fluffy-Tails

You should really consider whom you're insulting saying that.
    People paid good money for your asset in the belief it would mature and become a standard and you also supported that concept.

No-one can access your asset now because you think someone will do something better than you?
    I'm sorry to burst your bubble on this but I have seen new-comers literally do better than a previous project, and instead of closing up and throwing in the towel (giving up) they decide to actually strengthen their relationship with others and either borrow from or join a project to gain a better alternative than just giving up.

What you have decided to do was insult your customers, fan-base, pretend like you are the best programmer for one particular area, alienate and isolate your customers, offer absolutely no update on plans for the future and pretend like only you know how to do this stuff.

People have expressed interest in furthering this asset, but instead you feel entitled to keep this precious idea to yourself.

In the tech world, I hate to break it to you, but in this instance people are actually smarter and more talented than you are.

Ironically based on your idea to not give this asset to someone else or open-source it, you have actually admitted this is the road-block and you will give up entirely.

Good artists steal from others and take that experience to improve, those that sit in the dark pretending like their creation is the best are foolish and doomed to begin with.

You have lost a lot of respect and trust that you cannot retain anymore, so who's to be certain people will trust you to keep your promises from here on out?

Many projects are shelved these days for various reasons, but do you really want to shelve something very good, give up and abandon it to the point where it will never surface again because you think you are the best out there?

Just wait until someone takes your concept, does it on their own and makes it open-source, then that's when your business would ultimately need to up it's game.

20. Michal_Stangel

Michal_Stangel

It's a pity. I've been looking forward to buy your asset for my game. You did fantastic job, but I understand that this cannot supply full-time job, unfortunately.

You should consider to sell it to somebody who will continue to develop it. Maybe ask Unity directly? You will get at least some money and preserve good feeling your work lives.

Ony and hopeful like this.
  21. AlenH

AlenH

Well that just bad news today. o_O

EvilFox and hopeful like this.
  22. Crossway

Crossway

It seems I can't export my hair from 3d max. Does MaxExporter work with 3d max 2017 too?

23. id0

id0

It's all very, very bad. It was the best hair I saw, not only in unity, and I'm really want to use it further, but now...

k_a_p_p_o and hopeful like this.
  24. pan-master

pan-master

creating such plugins is very hard,we all should be thankfull that we had an opportunity to try it out. I guess the price of the asset was too low, maybe it should be 500-700$, less buyers , less support, but how many of us would have bought it?, its hard life for alone devs, I see it all the time, People create great things with great potential, but because there is lack of demand they go broke, and they go broke because target market was too small, its nobodys foult(market reserch?), I guess for most people it would be much better to be on regular payrole with some sale % , rather then deal with unprofitfull markets. Maybe Unity could buy the asset for some bigger $ and intergate it into their engine.If the plugin is not profitfull for the dev why would he waist his time on it? I hate to say it, but talent, and technology does not make money on its own, DEMAND and intrest of buyers at specific prices DOES

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    k_a_p_p_o and jdraper3 like this.
  25. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Today i want to buy it and wonder where it is in the shop. Sadly i just found this forum thread and read that i can not buy it anymore. I do have one other hair/fur asset but this here was the best i can found. so sad :(

26. JX272

JX272

That's really tragic.
    I can somewhat understand the author. I always wondered how unity's asset store could be profitable to the authors of complex logics needing constant attention and updates to keep working. The asset store feels heavily inspired by some app store. There's no versioning and no concept of a support license. No matter the price, once there aren't enough new users, no more income. A static asset may become profitable at a certain point, but something as complex as HT means constant work - but in most cases, with ever decreasing income. Obviously HT was popular, but never exceeded the critical mass. I understand the author decided to end it.

Of course open sourcing it would be the very best way out of such a situation. Keep the previous income, get the support to the community. But those demanding it should ask themselves if they would do so themselves - forsaking any chance of future income from a project that obviously did not pay out before. It may be the logical choice for someone doing it as a hobby, but for someone who saw it as an investment, it's not an easy choice.

I'm frustrated myself about the end. I definitely didn't expect that and it leaves sour questions about the future. I may be just a hobbyist. I've no obligations to anyone and may accept imperfections until there is a real alternative. Even if it takes a long time.
    But for a game that counted on it, it's quite a bummer. Especially given it's not replaceable at the moment and this decision came out of the blue. Something like this in my work project would make me really mad as it throws my time-risk-calculation straight out of the window. Yes, I can also understand those who point out you did not do your reputation any favor.

So, lot's of mixed feelings about this ... but i also blame it on unity not providing an adequate solution to make a living on a living product needing constant care. In my opinion, unity's store is deeply flawed by that.

KWaldt likes this.
  27. markashburner

markashburner

Yeah I was being a bit of a self righteous dweeb. I don't know man...I have been using Unity for the last 4 or 5 years. But you know Unity supplies this amazing game engine that is capable of doing so much for absolutely free?

You know you got to understand they also need a way to profit somehow otherwise none of these tools would be available to ANY of us?

Some of us do consume too much and don't give back in some regards but I am genuine interested in supporting the artists of these amazing assets...there isn't much else I can do.

I am an indie developer, the only team I have is myself to some regard and the unity community. I just think the system works really well for both amateurs and professionals. I am not making ANY money off of this...I have another part time job. This is what I do for a hobbie...I would like to turn it into a career...but it all takes time and I think the more we support each other, the better. Some of us do it as a hobbie and some of us do it professionally...In no way do I support plagiarism, or stealing others content. I genuinely want to pay my due for any amazing asset someone is able to produce and support them in developing it further.

I was willing to support this asset because I thought it had so much potential. For animation, game development...

How else am I supposed to support these other indie artists, to encourage them to carry on with their products? Other than buying them and being a loyal customer?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  28. Kory-therapy

Kory-therapy

I notice this asset still work with 2018.1 beta but for some reason my 2017 it doesn't work properly but my goal is to transfer all my work into 2018 so no big deal I was wondering if anyone trying to make some easy money and design 3 different hair styles for me if your interested in making some money just send email to imaginationseven7@yahoo.com

thanks
    Kory

29. ceebeee

ceebeee

Great, I had this on my wishlist, to buy when I was ready to start character creation for my game, and now it's gone? T_T

It was literally the last GPU hair solution left for unity...

30. hopeful

hopeful

Hair Designer still exists, and the developer for it has been in the store for years.

31. ceebeee

ceebeee

Thanks, Maybe it's just that his sales images are super old, but it looks bad. However the videos show the hair is decent. He should probably update his images to look more modern.

Ony likes this.
  32. Malbers

Malbers

First Neofur now this! :(:(:(:(:(
    Why Why!!!!! I just want to have some decent fur/hair

33. hopeful

hopeful

Indeed. Hard times for hairies and furries!

But probably in a few months someone will release a free hair / fur plugin that's awesome. That's how this UAS plugin game often goes.

I wonder if the Amplify shader kit is far enough along to support a fur example? Might be close.

34. Malbers

Malbers

I was looking for a good tutorial to make fur shaders but I've found nothing :(:(

35. hopeful

hopeful

Somebody was doing it using ASE back in September (judging by their video), so it must be possible.

36. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Not a fan of shameless self promotion, but I just released an asset that you may want to look into :)

It is not free, but we are trying our best to keep it affordable and full of useful features for artists that cannot / do not want to code neither on C# nor shaders.

And I promise, there are plans for LONG TERM support and updates for it, with the very first update coming in a couple of weeks being multidirectional grooming and new lighting models :)

https://forum.unity.com/threads/released-pidi-xfur-studio.526200/

Hitch42 likes this.
  37. Hitch42

Hitch42

If you can do grooming and styling comparable to this one, you've got a customer. The hair/fur asset market is begging for a stable solution. I'll keep an eye on your forum thread.

IrrSoft likes this.
  38. ceebeee

ceebeee

Not bad, but I can't help but notice it's shell based, not gpu strand based. So not exactly the same type of asset. At least for hair anyway.

39. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

I will make sure to keep you updated! This is just the first version after all, so there are lots of plans for improvements :)

There is a serious lack of fur tools indeed so I hope this can be a good first step towards adding something that can help a lot of developers with their furry characters :)

*For now ;)

I'm working hard on finishing good and feature rich fur support first, so I can move at a later point towards making this tool far more versatile and start adding tools for strands based, human-like hair for modern GPUs . Right now, for compatibility and ease of use, this first version only supports shell based fur indeed :)

Thanks for commenting!

EDIT : This post is only a reply to those who quoted me directly. Please, for any further information/questions about my own tool or to follow it, just go to its own thread right here and I will be happy to answer you. Let's keep this thread for Hair Tool :)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    Mark_01 and ceebeee like this.
  40. hopeful

hopeful

I know the Hair Tool plugin and support have basically been ended, but it's probably best to take any discussions of your fur tool to your own thread.

Who knows ... maybe after some time passes, this dev will choose to revive his Hair Tool.

41. EvilFox

EvilFox

I'm not a graphic programmer or a mathematician, but intuitively I've more or less overcome the problem with motion vectors.
    In Tesselation.cginc, line:
    velocity = lerp(velocity, p1.velocity, p1.interpolation);

change to:

float3 lerping = lerp(velocity, p1.velocity, p1.interpolation);
    velocity = max(lerping * lerping, lerping);

It's not a 100% solution and rather a hack, but my skills is not enough to do the right thing.

Do not forget to do reimport Hair.shader (file context menu in unity3d) or clear shader cache.

hopeful likes this.
  42. laraloverxx

laraloverxx

Hey Everyone ! i have this problem
    im running in the latest version of Unity (2018.1)
    the problem is that anytime i run the test scene the hair doesnt appear
    does anybody know how to solve this ?

43. Dorumeka

Dorumeka

Is there anyway to get the latest version? I bought this asset a long time ago and didn't update it just to save the work it would take to possibly fix anything that broke as a result. I'm now stuck with a apparent bug and would appreciate trying the latest version.

In case this is an easy fix for someone who knows shaders, here's the error I'm having when building.

Shader error in 'GPUTools/Hair': invalid subscript '_ShadowCoord' at Assets/GPUTools/Hair/Shaders/Include/GS.cginc(92) (on d3d11)

Compiling Vertex program with DIRECTIONAL SHADOWS_SCREEN SHADOWS_SHADOWMASK LIGHTPROBE_SH
    Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_COLORSPACE_GAMMA UNITY_LIGHT_PROBE_PROXY_VOLUME UNITY_LIGHTMAP_RGBM_ENCODING

I haven't modified the shader code at any point. The only major change I did to the project was porting it to VR with Steam VR.

44. hopeful

hopeful

If you have an asset store bought version, you should still be able to download it even though it is deprecated. It shows up in my plugins list (as deprecated, but still accessible). I can download and import.

45. Davood_Kharmanzar

Davood_Kharmanzar

is it possible to make curly hair?

46. id0

id0

Yes

47. bogusdawm

bogusdawm

Any chance you are using invector? Your code worked wonders to fix the jittering, however, it does not follow the headtracking, I've tossed and turned a few hours on this but to no avail. Any chance you can clear up how I can assign your script to receive input from the headtracking script? Thanks in advance. Bought this months ago and was awaiting my unit to return from repairs, super sad to see it has been deprecated without support. :(

48. Simod

Simod

Andrii mentioned the problem, which we foresaw also in our hair product (check the link in the signature). In addition NVIDIA wanted their cut - hence that was "no-no and no" in the end.

49. bogusdawm

bogusdawm

Pardon my ignorance, but wouldn't, for example, creating the asset in a way that allows the end user to download the hairworks.sdk and install it to the asset? From my understanding, the issue is that you are packaging the sdk directly with the asset, right? Again, pardon my ignorance, as I am noy even sure something like this would work as far as integration between the sdk and your asset, just trying to figure out Nvidia's deal... It seems backwards to me that they provide free access and integration with Unreal but cannot care less regarding Unity. And when people develop solutions based on their IP they shut them down. :/ From what I have read around, aparently they have no issues with people that already purchased the asset using it commercially, so again, it feels backwards that they're debilitating Unity Creators by not allowing these types of assets to be developed. Cheers.

50. kite3h

kite3h

It is a very ridiculous story. There are so many unity3d users, and so many unity 3rd party assets in asset store.
    But useful addon are extremely rare. The laws of supply and demand are ignored.
    People who make good things do not get enough revenue.
    The reason is simple.
    People does not recornized between good and bad assets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.