Search Unity

HAIR SHADER 2.0 - With HD RenderPipeline Support

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Rob78, Dec 26, 2018.

1. Rob78

Rob78

Hi All,

I figure with the Hair Shader 2.0 doing so well I should make this topic for discussing wants and needs for future versions and also what I have in store for the next update.

Currently I have been upgrading shaders for Mobile and Transparency solutions. A traditional soft fading alpha was a major issue for must people where the depth sorting showed obvious popping of the hair planes. So, I created cut-out and dithered alpha options which have solved this and have many happy customers with this solution now. I have seen the same effect used in AAA games today so is perfectly acceptable by that standard.

Recently I have created a custom lighting version which gave me more control of the shadows and means the anisotropic highlights now get extra care for the shadows cast upon them and thus look better and more correct.

Also I created a Shadergraph HDRP version of the shader which I have a full video of here, if you want to re-create it yourself, then you can!

Otherwise, please support this product by purchasing it here where there is about 10 shader variations to choose from now. All different levels of optimiszation but similar control, You can buy it from the Asset Store here:

HAIR-SHADER-2.0

Planned for future versions (not in any particular order): (First quarter of 2019 - Price could increase after these updates)

1) A final HD Render Pipeline version when Shadergraph system is out of Beta and hopefully more options that I will be needing.
    2) A set of premade beards and hairstyles ready to choose from with the ability to deform the shapes to suit various head shapes.
    3) A dynamic motion script based on a motion map to make the hair move a little in realtime, a little like cloth. Otherwise I will make a video on adding a cloth modifier to the hair to achieve a similar effect.

Thank you to all of you who have bought this Hair Shdaer and managed to use it for their project! Love you guys, be sure to send feedback as it is really important so that I can improve the overall quality and value of this Hair Shader.

Other Related Products:
    Hair Shader 1.0
    Eye Shader
    SSS Skin Shader
    Human Shader Pack (All of the above and Hair Shader 2.0) (Save money by buying this pack, upgrades available for each smaller pack to this one at cost difference).

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
    soleron likes this.
  2. castor76

castor76

Hi. I was wondering if this shader has deferred rendering path or just a forward passes? I would also like to ask the same question for the skin shader as well.

I know it can be difficult to do deferred rendering for hair or SSS effect as their lighting algorithm is vastly different for normal Unity deferred lighting, but I just wanted to ask to make sure.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  3. Rob78

Rob78

All of these shaders are forward only due to translucency, however I am working on a custom lighting model of the shader but is currently prone to Post Process Defects. So forwards for now until I get into multipass shaders which may be more performance heavy but can resolve other issues.

Skin is also forwards only, although I may come up with another solution for that as a custom lighting version.

I am currently working on understanding how MultiPass shaders work using Amplify shader Editor, which I used to create these shaders, so if you have that then you can make changes and edits as you see fit. Hopefully I will be ready soon with a better version of the shaders.

Thank you.

soleron likes this.
  4. castor76

castor76

Thanks for the detail.

Well, I was sort of guessing that from the look of your shader. Really was hoping it could also do deferred rendering path, because of some post process issue or draw call issue on multiple light sources. But I can understand it is not. So this custom lighting model... that you are talking about.. what is it? why do you need it? custom forward path lighting model? if you are using forward path shader, isn't it already sort of custom? Only Unity deferred rendering path has strict one lighting model. All others are,.. well, it's what you get from your fragment shader.. so..

If you are talking about using different lighting equation than what Amplify Shader Editor provides you, I can see what you mean...

5. XCO

XCO

Hello I just got your pack for use with HDRP but I am sorry to say non of them look very good using the hair for my morph 3d characters.

Not really sure what I paid for to be honest ?

6. Rob78

Rob78

The pack only has a preview of the HDRP, I think it is mentioned clearly. Perhaps you could use my help to make them look good, please email me and I will see what I can do for you.

My email is: me@robertramsay.co.uk

I'd be happy to help you, if I cannot then you have the right to ask for a refund, otherwise, please wait for more developments on the HDRP side. (I expect HDRP to be fully developed by the end of the year so I can focus on what I need, that is, access to the lighting direction via shader graph or better support from Amplify Shader Editor for HDRP).

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  7. Rob78

Rob78

Just as a side note. The Hair Shader is designed for Pre-HDRP but I have created 2 preview hair shaders that will work with HDRP and also note the HDRP itself is limited due to it still being under development so if you are expecting all of the same shaders you see in this pack working in HDRP then you will be wrong to assume this.

Also, the Hair shader pack is prone to defects when using the Post Process Stack for AO and Depth of Field which I am working on alongside the current developments of Amplify Shader Editor.

Please be patient as I am continually developing this based on consumer feedback and also what I see as I develop things.

wetcircuit likes this.
  8. Gekigengar

Gekigengar

9. skinwalker

skinwalker

10. Gekigengar

Gekigengar

Not yet, which is why I am looking for a HDRP Hair Shader with the same principles.

11. Aliensoul4real

Aliensoul4real

Working in unity 2019.4.18 all shaders are coming up Pink and there is nothing in the latest update that indicates URP.

12. Rob78

Rob78

Hi there, in the documentation there will be a link to Standard Built in, URP and HDRP packages you can download. You can also email me with proof of purchase and I can give you this link to the versions.

13. SammmZ

SammmZ

Hey! Quick check, since it's not very clear on the pics
    1. If the HDRP shader has a working 2 sided option?
    2. If it has some alpha-dithering/alpha-fade or it's pure cutout alpha without any smooth/half-transparency options?

14. Rob78

Rob78

1) Yes 2 Sided
    2) Alpha-Dithering only for now.

SammmZ likes this.
  15. rf007

rf007

Greetings,
    will this work with Reallusion CC3 characters? (more specifically, Headshot plugin characters)

Thanks in advance!