Search Unity

Hair Designer - Dynamic hair & fur tool

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by kalagaan, Sep 16, 2016.

1. twda

twda

2. r3ndesigner

r3ndesigner

I'm biting my nails

3. acaroppos

acaroppos

Count me in when this feature is available. I'm actually pretty excited. This would be the ultimate asset for anybody who does serious game development.

kalagaan likes this.
  4. kalagaan

kalagaan

Here a test of the texture generator :)
    diffuse / normal / AO

with the standard shader :

5. neoshaman

neoshaman

Don't forgot tight curl profile, in fact the curl can clump or change direction due to a phenomena called tendril perversion, do you think it's possible?

Too bad I can't find good image that illustrate the phenomena:

The phone here has two tendril perversion, it happen when a curl is stretch and it redistribute the power equilibrium in another state.

geromeflemming and kalagaan like this.
  6. kalagaan

kalagaan

Thank you,
    Of course I'll work on the curl parameter! ;)
    Each hair is drawn with some random parameters, so it sould be possible to add that kind of FX.

r3ndesigner and neoshaman like this.
  7. SympaK

SympaK

Hi Kalagaan.
    There is already some post process options, to render the hair somewhat antialiased?
    You might considere to instruct the script to render the hair blade as a point to the base, so that it will not look like a squarish blade popping out from the scalp.
    You may considere to offer a demo to practice and familiarize with your app, before to buy it.
    Last: in case one would have tails and the like, how to constrain the hair within a mesh which holds it?
    Cheers.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  8. kalagaan

kalagaan

I did some variation on the root of the hair blade, for minimizing this effect of "squarish blade", I'll try to find better technics ;)
    I can't provide a demo... because the demo would be the tool itself, with all the shaders for free... :confused:
    If your character has a tail, you can paint some hair on it with the tool, the hair will move with the skinned mesh.
    The tool can also create some hair strand with their own bones, that you can link to an existing bone of the character.

SympaK likes this.
  9. SympaK

SympaK

Well... Many offer limited demos, either limited in time or in output... One must play with the toy, in order to see whether it will be familiar or not.
    As for the "mesh which holds it", I meant some kind of ring whatever, which encases the tail/tress whatever. Apopos, what about tresses/dreadlocks and the like?

10. kalagaan

kalagaan

I did 2 videos about the hair & fur creation, and I'll add more tutorial :)
    If the "mesh which holds it" is a way to control the motion, you can define how the hair react to the character movement with the motion zones.
    Tresses and dreadlocks would be better with a specific hair geometry, it's a feature that I want to add to the hair generator. :)

neoshaman likes this.
  11. SympaK

SympaK

Videos could be good as for tutes, but don't give the idea on "personal grasp" with an app...
    No: the mesh I meant kinda tubes to hold firm the hair (language barrer: I lack some terms)
    Nice one on tresses: eager to see that. Cheers.

12. magique

magique

Did you ever get screenshots with this working on Morph 3D?

13. kalagaan

kalagaan

I'll add some helpers for generating hair strands, I was thinking about sphere/plane projections. :)
    So you'll be able to paint the hair, or use some specific tools for a fast hair cut creation.

14. kalagaan

kalagaan

Here some screenshots ;)

It works with the polygons layer when the blendshapes don't impact the head shape.

But some blend shapes are not compatible

The fur layer works with blendshape

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
    magique, punk, neoshaman and 2 others like this.
  15. r3ndesigner

r3ndesigner

I sent an email i think u dont saw, have anoption to create hair based on splines from hair and fur ?

16. kalagaan

kalagaan

I've already answered to your email (05/06/17) ;)

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  17. twda

twda

Is the version with the Texture Generator already available?

18. kalagaan

kalagaan

Not yet, I'm still working on it.
    I think that I'll push it to the store next week. ;)

r3ndesigner and twda like this.
  19. SimoneDunzendorfer

SimoneDunzendorfer

20. trilobyteme

trilobyteme

This really looks amazing! I notice that the asset store page says no mobile support - is there any chance that could be coming at some point in the future? I'm designing clothing and content for a new virtual world - right now the client applications are all desktop (Mac/Win/Linux), but I know that iOS/Android support is on their roadmap...

21. r3ndesigner

r3ndesigner

When its moving is fantastic, but when it stop have a weird forward shaking , i noticed this same weird effect in gorilla , do u have any range control for this shaking? Maybe adding more gravity? Its ll be good a bigger resolution to see better this animations, like beard man, gorilla, horse and men dancing.

22. kalagaan

kalagaan

Yes, I'll will include flow maps
    I'll also include some feature for baking some maps into others :
    the AO into the Diffuse, or the floawmap into the normal.
    That could be usefull if you want to use a shader that don't have all the inputs.

neoshaman and SimoneDunzendorfer like this.
  23. kalagaan

kalagaan

The new shader should work for mobile :) I'll do some tests.
    The procedural shader is too complex for mobile GPU, so baking the hair into the atlas is the way to have nice hair on mobiles.

trilobyteme likes this.
  24. kalagaan

kalagaan

Yes, you can control how the hair move for each motion zone :)
    there's damping and bouncing parameters.
    Here the motion zone setting video

I'll try to add a video with more samples on youtube :)

25. r3ndesigner

r3ndesigner

this ll be nice, and best if this is for long hairs =}

26. kalagaan

kalagaan

The long hair layer combine different way of motion : motion zone (for small movement) and bones animation.
    I'm working on a way to use the cloth component with an automatic weight setting.

27. r3ndesigner

r3ndesigner

I bought this: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/46094
    works good if the uvs are not overlapping

28. kalagaan

kalagaan

Nice tool, the original cloth tool is horrible!
    The HairDesigner component generates all the hair mesh, so the cloth settings will be done within the HairDesigner UI ;)

29. kalagaan

kalagaan

30. r3ndesigner

r3ndesigner

Ll have for standard version? Any news about texture generator? Or the longs hair? Motion physics videos?

31. kalagaan

kalagaan

The first version of the texture generator is done :)

I'm working on the shader that uses it, and I'll push it to the asset store soon!

here a sample :

hair texture atlas 1024x1024 with 4x4 hair textures

I'll work on the long hair after the next version.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
    punk and wetcircuit like this.
  32. HellsPlumber

HellsPlumber

Hi, I sent you an email a few days ago but I've not had a response :(
    I hate to ask, but would you be willing to process a refund for my purchase?

I wanted to "try before you buy" but there was no demo available so I had to take the plunge.
    Essentially our main characters are furry, and we already had a fur shader for our game that worked well but could look better, so I wanted to try Hair Designer as it seems to be the most developed fur tool out there.

I hit a few bugs that I managed to work around but overall the end result was essentially the same as our current fur shader so we decided to stick with that.

I'd be happy to leave a glowing review regardless as the tool itself is really in depth and I imagine it's invaluable for people who need hair or mesh fur, and seeing you add requested features here shows you're a really passionate developer. I don't want any hard feelings, Hair Designer simply isn't what we need for our project, sadly.

33. kalagaan

kalagaan

Oh sorry I didn't see your email :confused:
    Did you send it to contact@kalagaan.com?
    Maybe I could do some improvement to the fur shader to fit with your needs.
    Please, let me know what kind of feature you need (email or private msg).

34. twda

twda

I've purchased the asset now. :)
    At first I thought I'd wait for the texture baking option, but I know Kalagaan from the VertEx Motion asset, and he's just incredible. I asked him for a fancy feature for VertEx Motion which I saw in a video, and he just said "Nice idea, I'll add it.".
    It really wasn't an easy feature, it looked very complicated.

Because I know other developers speed, I thought I dare to have a look again in 2 months and then pray and beg for this feature again, but to my absolute surprise, like 3 days later, it was already available as an update.

This was just incredible.

Thank you for your great work, Kalagaan!

I think your Hair and Fur designer will be REALLY successful. There's nothing like that on the Asset Store, and you already push it to its limits, thank you!!

kalagaan likes this.
  35. r3ndesigner

r3ndesigner

hey can u show the results?

36. kalagaan

kalagaan

Thank you :)
    I'll continue to improve Hair Designer, there's a lot of features that I want to include ;)

r3ndesigner likes this.
  37. r3ndesigner

r3ndesigner

Yeah i am just waiting the long hair to buy it, my project have woman and i need just because it xD

38. HellsPlumber

HellsPlumber

Yeah, that's the email I sent to. I think my outgoing mail has been having issues lately :s
    I've PM'd you the details, it was just a small 5.6 bug that's pretty easy to work around :)

39. magique

magique

If you could get the hair to render as well as that Lara Croft image, I'd be putting this down as a buy for sure. But as I thought about that it occurred to me that all the pics that you've been showing are just basic snapshots without any advanced lighting or post processing or anything. So it's not really an apples to apple comparison. I'd be interested in seeing a full character in a real scene and rendered with a lighting system such as Time of Day and having post-processing effects applied so we can see how this might look in an actual game. Right now the hair just looks not quite right.

40. twda

twda

@magique I also wait a long time before I purchase anything, but what exactely are you waiting for in this case?
    Kalagaan already posted images of diff, normal and ao. And he said he will even add flow maps. The rest is up to the hair renderer, like Kalagaans own or Volund Hair shader. Did I miss anything? Isn't Kalagaans work done then? I'm not asking pathetically, I'm really curious to know. :)

41. magique

magique

Up to this point I haven't seen any screenshots that look quite right. I don't know much about Kalagaan's hair shader or Volund hair shader. I'd like to see how this all looks when in a gameplay rendered environment to see if quality improves with good lighting, etc. I don't mean to be difficult. I just haven't seen an example yet that looks good enough. To be fair, I have not found any other Unity hair shader that looks right either. But this seems to have the most promise.

42. twda

twda

Haha, I've just tested Hair Designer, and it's SUCH a big fun to paint the hair!! :)))
    It works really well!!
    The paint functions alone are worth the price already.

I have a question, please:
    @kalagaan Do you think it would be a good idea to introduce strand templates?
    I'm still a total beginner at Hair & Fur Designer, but I think people (including me) might appreciate some ready-made strands that they could simply additionally drag and drop. Do you think that would be a good idea?

I mean something like this:

I think this would save us some real time when we create new hair because we don't have to set up strands on our own if we don't want to.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
    r3ndesigner likes this.
  43. kalagaan

kalagaan

I know that hair are really hard to simultate (like water, fire...), people have always different sensibility of what looks great or not.
    I've done some screenshots without post process FX, because people could have say that the result is nice because of theses FX. Feedbacks are really important to me, I understand your point of view, and I'll continue to improve HairDesigner :)

44. kalagaan

kalagaan

Thank you :)
    I'm glad that you like it!

Yes, I want to create some procedural tools that speed up the hair creation. So you'll be able to move the tool and change some sliders for creating hair strands.

neoshaman and twda like this.
  45. bcv

bcv

Hi, great system, one question, can you do long hair styles with this asset ? I've only seen short hair examples. Thanks in advance.

46. kalagaan

kalagaan

There's a long hair tool included, but it still need some work, this is the next step ;)

neoshaman likes this.
  47. kalagaan

kalagaan

HairDesigner 1.4 is available on the asset store :)
    The texture generator is included ;)

r3ndesigner likes this.
  48. Fluffy-Tails

Fluffy-Tails

I love where this asset is going!

Currently, as an artist and not a programmer, I am considering doing some design work with this asset for potential usage.
    Originally, I intended to use NeoFur but I haven't seen anything new in months with their new direction, so I stumbled upon your asset.

I saw your asset a few months ago when it was rather new but it didn't impress me the way NeoFur did at the time.

Looking at the new updates and refreshing look, I am impressed you got more work done than Neoglyphic did!

Anyway...
    I'm working on a game that requires characters to be furry animals with a character customization solution, hopefully using UMA 2 PBR, but I noticed in this thread you had issues supporting UMA at all.
    How is UMA 2 support progressing?

In my game, I need collisions from objects and other furry characters to affect fur movement and dynamics.
    Basically, just like petting your pet cat, the fur deforms based on how you interact with it.
    Is that possible?

I would also like to allow players to customize fur and hair shape, groom, size, color and other options in real-time and even use instances of premade templates to allow a player to customize their furry character.
    What I like about UMA 2 and ICE AI is the fact you can control instances, spawns and more and dictate what stays and what doesn't.
    For example, in my game I plan to allow a player to interactively choose which type of furry characters they would like to see more based on interaction, and the more they interact with them, the more of them they see.
    Seeing as how that is customization, UMA 2 and SALSA Lip Sync would be an amazing collaboration! :D

Does this asset work well with blend shapes for UMA 2 and lip sync?

Are there any plans for wet and sweaty fur?
    Some animals sweat through their fur in certain ways, others sweat from heir paws and tail, etc.

Does hair and fur have any self collision or ways of not penetrating the other strands?

Are there wind forces or any way of blowing hair subtly?

Lastly, does this asset play well with VertexMotion?

I'm a potential customer, and would it be wiser to choose the normal edition instead of pro?
    I'm not a programmer.

49. kalagaan

kalagaan

Hi,

UMA 2 is not yet compatible :(, I know that it's an important feature.

I'm still working on the fur interaction, I hope that it could be released soon. :)
    The fur layer is based on a shell technic with some textures for the design : length, color and brush,
    so you could merge some textures with masks to generate different styles. The fur shader parameters allow per characters customization (length, curl...)
    The fur layer works with blend shapes, but I don't know if it works with UMA.
    I want to add more feature that could be driven by textures, like a curl texture for painting some area with different curl values. A sweaty FX is a good idea, I'll think about it ;)
    I won't work on self collision for the current layer types, maybe I'll do it when I'll add more advanced hair technics.
    I've started to work on the wind interaction for the procedural hair (for polygons layer, not yet for the fur), I have to work on an unified solution for all layer types and shaders.
    VertExmotion is not yet compatible, but I think that it could be easy to integrate it with the fur shader.

The pro version is only for people who need the source code, all the features are included in the basic version.
    You can upgrade from the basic version to the pro ;)

I have still a lot of work to do on HairDesigner, I'm glad that many people are interested to get it :)
    I'll do my best to include more and more features!

twda likes this.
  50. r3ndesigner

r3ndesigner

Any news?