Search Unity

Hair Designer - Dynamic hair & fur tool

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by kalagaan, Sep 16, 2016.

1. kalagaan

kalagaan

Did you enable the "read/write" parameter in the model importer settings of your mesh?

Last edited: May 4, 2022
  2. Daezalus

Daezalus

Hi Kalagaan,

What are the differences between the standard and pro versions? Is it just access to the source code?

Regards,

B

3. kalagaan

kalagaan

Yes, the pro includes the source code, and the standard is based on a DLL.
    You can upgrade from basic to pro in the assetstore, if you have already bought the basic, the pro is half price.

4. unity_1iNKoEbR39MurQ

unity_1iNKoEbR39MurQ

Hi,

When do you estimate the new version? I know that in the new version you can make long hair much faster, version 2.0.

I saw it here

can it be used in unity 2020.3?

thanks

OfficialHermie likes this.
  5. MrG

MrG

Circling back to this after a few years. UMA has changed quite a bit over time, so wanting to see if you can do UMA integration now?

6. ldc3

ldc3

This would be AMAZING! I will definitely be purchasing this if this happens!

7. MrG

MrG

I'd even pay for it as an add-on module sold separately if that helps.

8. kalagaan

kalagaan

I've just started a new job, so I've less time to work on the 2.0 version,
    I'll post my progress on the forum as soon as possible.

The minmum version of Unity for 2.0 will be 2021.2, because it requires new features.
    I'll publish a beta version when all the major issues will be fixed.

wetcircuit likes this.
  9. kalagaan

kalagaan

Sorry, I didn't check the new versions of UMA.
    I'll have a look when the version 2.0 will be done.

Last edited: May 23, 2022
  10. cspid

cspid

Hello! I'm having an issue where my fur disappears as soon as I enter playmode. Any idea what might cause that? Skinned Mesh Renderer is set to update when off screen. Thanks!

11. kalagaan

kalagaan

Hello,
    what is your version of Unity and the Render pipeline?

12. cspid

cspid

Hey I'm in 2021.1.3f1, HDRP

13. Duende

Duende

Hi! Any news about blendshapes compatibility with long hairs? :D

14. CurioSisReMi

CurioSisReMi

The tool is really great, it wasn't even a problem to switch to HDRP.
    It's very easy to create hair and I did some on the demo stage.
    Unfortunately, I have a problem, I would like to be able to create hair when the prefab is updated,
    or at least I would like to do the model with the hair as a prefab when I create my hair.

The problem is that when I create a prefab, neither in the preview nor when I put the prefab
    to the stage, the hair disappears. However, when I turn on play game mode, the texture of the hair shows up strangely.
    It looks like hay.

I am asking for help how I can deal with it - I've been working on it for a few days :(

Thank you for your response.
    Regards,
    Remigiusz Drobinski

15. grumgrum

grumgrum

here seems to be a lack of documentation on the collider setup for the long hair layer. I tried recreating whatever there is on a simple setup but I cant add any of the objects with Hair Designer Colliders to add in the list for colliders either manually or automatically via skeleton hierarchy. Even swapping the values in demo scene's collider list doesnt work (it doesnt switch)

Edit:
    Solved, make sure your colliders are accessible within your root bone hierarchy (skinned mesh component)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2022
    hopeful likes this.
  16. hecali_aj

hecali_aj

@kalagaan
    Any news on the beta release of 2.0? :)

17. unity_1iNKoEbR39MurQ

unity_1iNKoEbR39MurQ

This genius hasn't appeared in a long time. We hope you are well

kalagaan likes this.
  18. hopeful

hopeful

@kalagaan may not be getting notifications.

19. kalagaan

kalagaan

Oops, I missed a lot of messages there :confused:
    Sorry for the lack of news, but I did a break with Unity dev last months.
    I had to learn Unreal for my new job, and it's very time consuming.

Of course I'm still answering emails and do support for all the Unity packages.
    I'll continue my work on HairDesigner, and there's some new packages that I want to release on the assetstore.

PS: the notifications of the forum looks broken
    So if you have issues please send me an email (contact@kalagaan.com)

20. Crossway

Crossway

Don't know what is wrong I can't paint hair on my own character :confused: But no problem with the sample model.

21. kalagaan

kalagaan

Could you check in the model import settings that the read/write option is enabled ?

Crossway likes this.
  22. kalagaan

kalagaan

Yes, you can change the 'Initial length' in the design tab.

23. Lord_Legion

Lord_Legion

Hi, i have problem with hair in my enemy prefab.
    HairDesignerGenerator.cs can't DestroyImmediate(m_meshInstance) in prefab. (458)
    &
    HairDesignerEditor.cs can't DestroyImmediate(instances.gameObject); (1158)

I am save hair on not prefab, then prefab for Instantiate, but hair don't dynamic and don't follow for head skelet bone

And each time after save i don't see hair in prefab model

I am find problem with no mesh in skinned mesh render, i am save hair as prefab and then drag and drop mesh, and thats work.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
  24. AlexeySovko

AlexeySovko

Hi, Is it possible to use it with blendshapes, facial animation in most cases use them, can I paint a beard with this asset and will it move with morphed geometry?

25. kalagaan

kalagaan

Sorry for the delay, if you have issues, please send me an email (contact@kalagaan.com)
    Sometimes the forum notifications doesn't work properly :confused:
    I'm glad you found a way to fix your issue.

26. kalagaan

kalagaan

Hi, the systems compatible with blendshapes are : short hair layer, fur, advanced fur.
    You can create a beard using them.
    The long hair layer is based on the bones positions instead of the mesh surface.

27. PatchNote

PatchNote

Hi Kalagaan,

I've been looking for a good hair shader/simulator for a VR project I've been working on involving animals (currently mainly dogs/cats), and I had a few questions about performance/compatability. For reference, we are using Unity 2020.3.16f1, and are looking to switch to URP from the built-in pipeline.

1. Since it is a VR game, has there been any testing in that environment? If no, how do you think it'd fair performance-wise? I'd assume that since the fur would cover basically the whole model it may tank performance.
    2. Since we are using an older version of Unity, I'm assuming there might be significant performance impact/feature bugginess?
    3. Can the fur be manipulated during play (eg., shaving off a section)?

Thanks for all the awesome work you've done! We are a very small team and this could really alleviate a lot of headaches going forward.

28. kalagaan

kalagaan

Hello,
    1. Sorry didn't test it for VR.
    The performances of the fur rely on the base mesh complexity.
    You could use a lowpoly version, or a specific version including only the faces where the fur will grow.

2. 2020 works fine and there's different rendering mode according to the render pipeline you use.

3. The fur is a texture based system, you can change the length, the brush orientation, colors by editing/switching textures.

29. eagledead

eagledead

Hi Kalagaan,
    Does Hair Designer have multiple hair deletion support, even if i select multiple, i cant delete selected ones..it is very annoying to delete one by one because every deletion resets unity editor for some reason so a single deletion takes at least 30 seconds. Can you help me?
    Thanks in advance.

30. Lewnatic

Lewnatic

Hey there kalagaan. First of all. Great tool.

I am currently creating a real-time painting tool which also uses Hairdesigner. I am using a fur shell on an skinned mesh object that I want to paint in real time. The texture update on the skinned mesh works just fine but for whatever reason when I try to apply this texture to the hairdesigner components color base texture or main texture slot it does not update the textur and instead changed the texture to a plain white.

I tried the following functions and variables with no success.

Code (CSharp):
    1. shader.m_colorTex = myTexture;
    2. shader.m_mainTex = myTexture;
    3. shader.SetTexture(0, myTexture as Texture2D);
    The texture I am trying to apply is a Texture not a Texture2D. Might this be a cause? But on the other hand I also tried

Code (CSharp):
    1. MHairDesignerFurShellMaterial.SetTexture("_MainTex",myTexture);
    .. which requires a Texture and no Texture2D

I also tried using:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. layer.m_shaderNeedUpdate = true;
    and I put the texture update into LateUpdate(); Sadly nothing helped.

So is there a way to use textures that change in real time on HairDesigner fur shells?

Edit: So a little update from myself.
    1.) It seems like the texture is correctly displayed in the material. As intended its a runtime Texture. ( Its the texture that I am currently editing by coloring it) So the plan was to put my WIP texture into the main tex or color slot of the fur shell.

2.) But for some reason in HairDesigner the editor requires a Texture2D and now the texture is NULL.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2023
  31. PatchNote

PatchNote

Hi Kalagaan. So far the extension has been working well, besides some issues from our assets. An VR performance has been fairly good, at least with the shell fur.
    However, I'm getting these errors on any model that has the fur applied to it. Is there anything that can be gleaned from this?
    We are on Unity 2020.2.16f1, if that can help.
    (EDIT: version is 2020.3.16f1)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2023
  32. kalagaan

kalagaan

What do you mean by multiple hair deletion?
    Could you send me more informations about your issue at contact@kalagaan.com.
    If you have error messages or crash log it would help.

33. kalagaan

kalagaan

HairDesigner use a system based on the name of the shader for assigning shader control script.
    You can modify the shader scripts 'HairDesignerShaderFurShell' and 'HairDesignerShaderFurShellEditor' or create your own version.
    If you duplicate the shader with the name 'HairDesigner_FurShellCustom' and create the scripts 'HairDesignerShaderFurShellCustom' and 'HairDesignerShaderFurShellCustomEditor'
    you'll be abble to create your own functions for updating the shader.
    If you have issues, please send me an email at contact@kalagaan.com

34. kalagaan

kalagaan

That's weird, I never had these errors...
    What is the render pipeline?
    Does it happen only in your project?
    I'll install this specific version of Unity, could you try to update your version?

35. PatchNote

PatchNote

We are using the URP. Unfortunately, we are at the point in the project where changing the version would most likely break more than it'd fix, and since I am just a seat on the project I don't think I have the ability to try it in a new project. The fortunate thing is that, at least currently, it doesn't seem like it's actually causing anything to break (as far as I can tell). We're also getting weirdness with the polygon fur floating off the model when painted, which is something on our end, so it very well could be something to do with our assets.

And as an edit, the version is 2020.3.16f1, not .2.16f1

36. kalagaan

kalagaan

I did some tests with this version in an empty project, and there's no error messages.
    Do you have these errors whith the URP demo scene?
    Does this is specific to one of your model?
    If you have a way to reproduce these errors, please let me know.
    If you could send me a sample scene or a model and your invoice number (contact@kalagaan.com),
    I could do some tests.

37. PatchNote

PatchNote

After some trial and error, it looks like the issue for that specific problem was due to the motion zones parents not transferring over when a layer was loaded as a prefab (first motion zone would load the correct bone, then all others would say None). Currently working on an issue where the fur doesn't get lit by scene lights during runtime, but does when paused or stopped, which looks to be something we did that is causing that bug.

38. PatchNote

PatchNote

Is there a way to change the furs' layer in URP? Our real-time lights have a culling mask but the fur doesn't seem to inherit the layer of the object it's applied to.

39. kalagaan

kalagaan

Thank you for the feedback,
    the fur layer is the same than the gameobject, but there' a bug with the mesh instancing method.
    So the best way is to switch to the GPU_INSTANCING (in the design tab) until I fix that.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2023
  40. Hummy91

Hummy91

How does this tool fare for female hair styles, short and long?

41. Duende

Duende

@kalagaan Any news about blendshapes compatibility with long hairs?

42. kalagaan

kalagaan

Sorry, I'm currently working on a game that will be release this year, so the development of HairDesigner is in standbye. :confused:
    HairDesigner v2 still requires optimisations and fixes, and I need to be focused on it.

43. kalagaan

kalagaan

Here some samples made with the long hair layer

44. danyakh

danyakh

Looks really cool when the shadow is added.

45. LeraEclera

LeraEclera

Hi, i have problem with Hair Gravity in Windows Build. In Editor all fine.
    In build my hair gravity = 0 or don work.
    I am use Unity 2021.3.7f1, Urp

46. MrG

MrG

Hey @kalagaan - Just checking in to see where you are with getting back to V2 and maybe UMA support.
    Merry Christmas!

47. kalagaan

kalagaan

For now, there's no much work on the V2, sorry.
    2023 was very intense, I got a lot of work, and I had to take some rest for Christmas.
    I've been working with Unreal for my last job, so I've to check the feature I missed about the latest Unity versions.
    The development of the V2 will depend of the free time I'll have the next months.

48. J_Kasowski

J_Kasowski

Any tips for HDRP? Your demo haircuts are pretty good but I can't seem to make them the same when attaching to a different mesh... I see messing around with the texture generator can get good results but I don't fully understand it. Sometimes I'm getting hair that comes in "chunks". Like the hair will be 10 inches long and instead of one long strand it's separated into 3 strands that repeat in the air (so the hair is broken which gives the effect of floating hair).

Also, any idea why the colliders aren't working with my mesh? If I turn up gravity it just goes right through the head:
    upload_2024-1-3_22-2-38.png

49. kalagaan

kalagaan

Hello,
    When you generate a texture, you can set the grid size to generate the number of variations inside the same texture.
    You have to set the same number in the material settings 'Atlas size'.
    The collision system is defined into the motion tab, you have to enable the collisions and you can add some capsule colliders instances into the list.
    Have a look to the "long hair" layer in th 'Haircut_HDRP'sample scene, the collision system is setup properly.
    If you still have issues, please send me an email (contact@kalagaan.com)

50. Juneav

Juneav

BIG QUESTION hehe
    Is it possible to just use the shaders to render hair cards instead of designing, drawing the hair?
    And also mave the motions without the designing part.
    Reason: I want to use my current model's hair meshes.