Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Hair Designer - Dynamic hair & fur tool

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by kalagaan, Sep 16, 2016.

1. OfficialHermie

OfficialHermie

@kalagaan Can you please add a feature to the Long Hair drawing?
    I'm spending really much time orienting the hair so that it grows correctly outwards.
    Can you please add the feature that the hair grows outwards automatically? Something like a grow preset?
    I recently underwent a hair transplant myself, and I noticed that they put the hairs at a certain orientation, so it's not random.
    It's something that could easily be put into a preset.
    This way, we can speed human hair up very much.

And can you please use your own HairDesigner more?
    If you do, it will become better because you notice what it requires to be able to work conviniently with it.
    Currently, it's really hard to use.
    The theory is great, but the practical side of HairDesigner is still not very developed.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  2. Ruberta

Ruberta

@OfficialHermie Can't you just edit your post? I think two posts a time are really much here. Kalagaan is working on HDRP fur and I want him to focus on that. If it's not a bug or a big deal then I think it can be waited.

3. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

This seems like a long-shot request, but I'd like to make long hairs where the texture atlas is side-by-side, to get better use of the UV map.

an 8x1 atlas, as opposed to a 3x3 grid.

OfficialHermie likes this.
  4. kalagaan

kalagaan

The generator can provide diffuse/normal/AO/specular,
    but it won't be as accurate as a handmade texture like this one.

If you want to use other textures with the shader, you can do it,
    but this one includes the specular lighting, so it could be weird.

5. kalagaan

kalagaan

The long hair is a curve system, so moving the top of the curve is the easiest way to edit the hair strand.
    The short hair layer provides this kind of feature, maybe you should use both layers (short & long) to achive what you need.

6. kalagaan

kalagaan

Creating haircuts is really hard, I tried different methods, and it's always a pain with a 3D software.
    The current tool generates the mesh, the skinning, the blendshapes, and provide shaders & tools for generating the textures... It's really a time saver...
    I'll continue to improve the HairDesigner workflow, and I'll add more tools ;)

7. kalagaan

kalagaan

Don't worry, I won't work on other features until the HDRP fur is ready ;)

Ruberta likes this.
  8. kalagaan

kalagaan

You're right,
    I've think about it from the beginning of the texture generator :p
    I wanted to create some templates for the texture atlas but it's still at the bottom of the todo list...:confused:

wetcircuit likes this.
  9. OfficialHermie

OfficialHermie

kalagaan likes this.
  10. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

wow, those braids.

11. kalagaan

kalagaan

The shape of the strands is the most missing feature in HairDesigner,
    I'll add a tool for this kind of design ;)

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
    wetcircuit likes this.
  12. OfficialHermie

OfficialHermie

@kalagaan How could I create such tubular strands with HairDesigner, please?

Edit: I just saw that you already answered this question.

13. kalagaan

kalagaan

I'm working on a node based tool (like shadergraph or ASE) that will be able to generate this kind of strands ;)
    The idea is to generate a strand mesh that could be deformed by the curves in long hair & short hair layers.

Ruberta, GarbageCat and wetcircuit like this.
  14. kalagaan

kalagaan

HDRP Fur WIP

Better brush & gravity

Ruberta and wetcircuit like this.
  15. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

It looks soooo good.

i don't get it. It's shader shells, right? I see the shell granularity… but how is it doing the "tufts"? This is a texture? An atlas?

Is there fur geometry?

16. kalagaan

kalagaan

This is a same shell technic than the standard fur shader,
    but it uses the HDRP Hair Master node in ShaderGraph, so there's transparency this time ;)
    The shells are deformed according to the brush texture so the tufts are made like an extrusion of some vertices of the shells.

The advanced fur shader will be a geometry shader, so it will use an atlas,
    but it won't be ready for HDRP until Shadergraph provide a way to use geometry shaders :confused:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    Ruberta and wetcircuit like this.
  17. Ruberta

Ruberta

Does this means I cannot create feathers with standard fur shader? :( Can't we combine atlas and shell shader together? :p

18. kalagaan

kalagaan

The standard fur & the HDRP fur can't generate feathers.

But you can already create feathers with a short hair layer and the atlas shader ;)

You can also mix a short hair layer and a fur layer :p

19. kalagaan

kalagaan

I've added Emission to HDRP Fur & Atlas shader :p

20. OfficialHermie

OfficialHermie

I would like to see how the Afro in the demo has been done.
    Is there a way to get the hair cards so that I can have a look at its production stage?

21. neoshaman

neoshaman

This going into neofur territory, the replacement we needed and deserved

kalagaan and wetcircuit like this.
  22. OfficialHermie

OfficialHermie

Can you please add this to the demos? The figure is amazingly creepy and fantastic!

23. kalagaan

kalagaan

This haircut is a short hair layer, the textures made by the generator are really important in the final look.
    You can edit the layer to learn how it works.

24. kalagaan

kalagaan

It was a quick test, very easy to generate with the fur editor :p
    I'll add a sample like this in the demo scene ;)

25. kalagaan

kalagaan

Curly version :D

Ruberta and Xskey like this.
  26. OfficialHermie

OfficialHermie

1) I have dialed "Gravity" up in the Design tab, but it doesn't do anything. My hair is totally stiff. I though it would bend down. I have also tried higher gravity values, but it didn't do anything. The doc just says "Gravity: The gravity factor".

2) As I have created a new Unity project with HDRP template, I'm have used the Demo_HDRP.unity file. I'm also not sure why new hair is still partially pink.

3) I don't see how I can make the strands / hair cards wider. Edit: I think I found it: "Taper".

Thank you.
    hair1.png

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  27. OfficialHermie

OfficialHermie

Can you please also tell me why my blond hair looks so unrealistic while your brown hair looks so realistic?
    Thank you!
    unreal.png

28. kalagaan

kalagaan

1)The gravity factor in the design tab is not used in the HDRP version, it has been overrided by the by the Gravity parameter in the material tab. I have to unify the system for all shader pipeline.

2) It's a bug :confused:, you can fix it by switching once to the material tab .

3) Taper, or 'global scale' or the 'Scale' brush ;)

29. kalagaan

kalagaan

I've just realized that int he HDRP demo, I used the same textures than the standard demo, so the texture generator parameters haven't been saved in the layer.
    You can find the settings for the texture generator in the original demo.
    - open 'HairDesigner/Haircut/HairCutDemo_AtlasShader' (all models will be pink :p)
    - Select the 'head' gameObject
    - Select a layer and in the material tab click on the 'Tecxture Generator' button.

It will open the texture generator with the settings I used ;)

30. DJ_Design

DJ_Design

Amazing progress over the years man, keep it up! :)

kalagaan likes this.
  31. OfficialHermie

OfficialHermie

Sorry, I don't really understand what I should do where. What do you mean by "original demo"? In which Unity (3d, urp or hdrp) should I open it?
    It's really confusing. Or should I wait until you have updated?

32. kalagaan

kalagaan

The HDRP demo is a copy of the original demo made for the built-in render pipeline, but I didn't regenerate the textures, I've used the original textures that was already in the project.
    So the texture generator settings that was defined for these texture are stored in the original scene.

If you want to see the settings I used for the haircuts, you have to open this scene that is not defined for HDRP.

- open 'HairDesigner/Haircut/HairCutDemo_AtlasShader' (all models will be pink :p)
    - Select the 'head' gameObject
    - Select a layer and in the material tab click on the 'Tecxture Generator' button.

The texture generator will be loaded with the parameters I used for that layer ;)

33. hridpath

hridpath

I am new to this tool. I have a few questions. Once yuo have your hair generated,
    • can you comb it?
    I am trying to create Long Hair and it looks like I will be creating hundreds of hair curves.
    • Is that normal?

34. kalagaan

kalagaan

1) Each layer generate a single mesh by combining all the strands.
    you can enable 2 layers at the same time, but the 2 meshes won't be combined.

2) you should try to use the lower count of curves as possible.
    One way to do it is to create large strands for covering the maximum area.
    Have a look to the 'hairCutDemo_AtlasShader' scene, and edit the 'Long hair' layer.
    For this sample I've used 25 curves.

35. kalagaan

kalagaan

I've finally finished the HDRP Fur.
    I've added the wind force and the motion zones :)

I need to fix some small bugs in the workflow and I'll push it to the assetstore.:D

Xskey, hopeful, jjobby and 1 other person like this.
  36. Demhaa

Demhaa

Can the fur cast shadows onto itself?

37. kalagaan

kalagaan

Yes, the fur casts the shadows on itself.
    You can also disable the shadows or enable/disable it with the LOD system, according to the camera distance.

38. Eman_resu

Eman_resu

Hi! You're doing a really good job! and I'm looking forward to using the fur for hdrp! :p As for long hair.. Will it ever be possible to mass-comb the guidelines to speed up the workflow? As in xgen for maya for example. Thanks!

39. r3ndesigner

r3ndesigner

Ready the spline positions from hair guides ll save lifes.

40. Eman_resu

Eman_resu

Yes yes, but I'm talking about a system like this:

41. DeadSeraph

DeadSeraph

Hi there. I have a couple questions:

1) I noticed that this does not include mobile support. Does that mean it can't be used for a mobile game, or just that there is no support if you're using it for one?

2) Is it possible to use this to generate FBX files for use in tandem with other models? I really REALLY hate modeling hair and this looks like a huge time saver. I don't need fancy shaders or dynamic hair that blows in the wind or interacts with other objects. I just need nice relatively low poly hair models and textures (PBR maps for each style generated).

3) I've checked out the demo but it's more of a preview than an actual demo. Is there a restricted free version somewhere that I can test drive just to see what it does and doesn't do? Paying well over $100 for something that might not even do what I need seems like a big risk. Although it does look fantastic, I am mostly concerned about the mobile thing, since I am currently working on a mobile project with UMA integration. I don't need it to work flawlessly with UMA per say, but mostly just need it to spit out decent hair models and I can do the rest in my 3d apps.

42. kalagaan

kalagaan

I'll add a way to use a brush system for the long hair, like I did for the short hair layer ;)

43. kalagaan

kalagaan

1) The shaders are not optimized for mobiles, and I can't test it on many devices, so I don't support mobiles.
    I'll support LWRP/URP later, so it will be more mobile friendly.
    You can use the tool to generate the hair model, and you can choose if a strand is dynamic or not, and the collision system could be disabled. You can also use your own material/shader for the haicut.

2) The final mesh is stored in the project folder, so you can use it without the HairDesigner component.
    The package includes a tool for generating PBR textures.

3) Sorry, there's no free version, you can get the basic version, and if you need to have a look to the source code, you can upgrade to the pro version later.

44. Eman_resu

Eman_resu

Great! A system of brushes, with the added possibility of modifying with bezier curves, like few others. ;) As for the selection of the single long hair, I would prefer the button not only on the tip, but also on the root. It's possible?

45. Ruberta

Ruberta

Any update?

46. kalagaan

kalagaan

The HDRP Fur is now available on the assetstore ;)

And I'm working on the advanced fur shader (DX11 geometry + compute shader)

Here a better quality

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
    neoshaman, adamz, Xskey and 2 others like this.
  47. adamz

adamz

@kalagaan

This asset look great. Can you provide some more long hair renderings please? I know the previous images you posted was from months ago, so I'd like to see where the tool is at now. Also, from the past screenshots the hair has a lot of spacing towards the ends, wondering if it's possible to group the strands together.

Also will this asset work with mobile? I wanted to see if this would work for the Oculus Quest.

Thanks.

48. Grosnus

Grosnus

Hello, I really like all the options in this asset. I am wondering, what would be the best way to setup slow motion for this system? Is this supported?
    Time Scale parameter in project settings seems to only dampen the motion effect instead of slowing down the movement. The wind doesn't react to Time Scale changes at all.

I am using Pro version of the asset and V2 motion system.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  49. kalagaan

kalagaan

I've worked on the HDRP fur and the advanced fur, I'll continue to improve the long hair when the advanced fur will be finished.
    Each strand can be scaled along the curv, so you can scale the tip to avoid the spacing, it can also be done in the texture generator.

The shader are not mobile friendly, so it could work but it won't be optimized. It would be better with a URP version of the shader, I'll work on it but it's not on the top of the todo list...
    The advanced fur won't work for mobile, it requires a DX11 compatibility.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  50. kalagaan

kalagaan

Thank you for the feedback,
    the time scale should work, I'll have a look ;)

unityunity