Search Unity

1. Unity 2018.3 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Want more efficiency in your development work? Sign up to receive weekly tech and creative know-how from Unity experts.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Build games and experiences that can load instantly and without install. Explore the Project Tiny Preview today!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Want to provide direct feedback to the Unity team? Join the Unity Advisory Panel.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice

Hair Designer - Dynamic hair & fur tool

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by kalagaan, Sep 16, 2016.

1. kalagaan

kalagaan

I didn't try to play with alembic mesh yet.
    With my new skinning method, I can retarget the hair/fur on any mesh deformation (same vertices & triangles), so maybe it will work.
    I'll do some tests :p

2. kalagaan

kalagaan

Maybe there's some tricks that could help in this project of Gil Damoiseaux
    https://github.com/Gaxil/Unity-InteriorMapping
    This is a really nice version of the interior mapping.

I'll do some research on my side about parallax for the hair, but there's still too much things in my todolist... :confused:

neoshaman likes this.
  3. neoshaman

neoshaman

I'll share any progress I do to decrease the weight on your shoulder ;)

AlexanderElert and kalagaan like this.
  4. unity_zOvEB4IgVxRirA

unity_zOvEB4IgVxRirA

good ...
    and it would be great if be able to import hair guides from external 3d packages like as 3ds max, cinema 4d, maya and etc. :]

5. kalagaan

kalagaan

I don't think that I'll support these softwares :confused:, I don't have the licences and the idea is to create the design within unity.
    I'll improve my tools and my shaders for generating more advanced hair guides.;)

6. Velo222

Velo222

Hi Kalagaan,

I just purchased the asset, and I was following along with the YouTube video tutorial for fur (fur tutorial). I added a layer and the fur works (which is great). But then I went into the "Design tab", created a new mask, and when I went to use the "remove mode" tool, it doesn't do anything to the fur. It also doesn't add any fur if I fill the mask with "0" length. So, basically the mask edit mode isn't working for some reason.

I am using Unity version 2018.2.8f1. I'm not sure why the brush tool doesn't seem to be working. Could just be something simple, but I'm not sure.

Thanks, and so far it looks great. :)

* Ok I think I found the problem, maybe but I don't know how to fix it yet. It looks like the scale/location of where I'm painting is way off. So if I paint my animals belly, it paints hair on it's mouth currently. Or if I try to paint hair 5 meters away from my animal, it will paint it on my animal's tail......like that. Maybe its the bounds or because it's not uniform scale? I will continue testing to try to figure out what is happening.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  7. kalagaan

kalagaan

Hi, could you send me an email with a model that doesn't work? (contact@kalagaan.com)
    I could check what's gong on ;)

8. blackant

blackant

i did i trick on that but it doesn't look as precise as in unity

OfficialHermie and kalagaan like this.
  9. kalagaan

kalagaan

Nice start ;)
    Maybe you should use a higher tiling for the fur map.
    In unity the fur shader uses gravity, so the deformation between shells looks better than the sketchfab shader.

10. blackant

blackant

no, i tested using multiple configurations we cannot get something as good as in unity.
    your shader also does color variation from root to tip wich is not doable here.

11. kalagaan

kalagaan

I've submitted the verson 1.6.0 to the assetstore :)
    It should be available in a few days.
    It includes the new skinning system compatible with the blendshapes.
    It also fixes some weird behavior with some models (dues to scaled skeleton hierarchy)
    The new system doesn't require the T-pose and won't try to set it anymore.

This new system requires a conversion of the internal data for short hair and long hair layers.
    You can choose to convert (or not) a layer in design mode.

12. kalagaan

kalagaan

It looks that there was a bug with the asset store submision :confused:
    the basic version is already updated to 1.6.0, but the pro version is still in 1.5.7.
    I had to submit the pro again, so it will be available on the asset store soon.
    I can provide an update for pro users (send me the invoice number at contact@kalagaan.com) ;)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  13. spinaLcord

spinaLcord

Hello i buyed recently this asset, is there a way to make the visual node curve helpers on long hair layers little bigger. Its really hard to work with, tiny. I also noticed that Hair Designer Mono works correctly only with rootnode gameobjects, otherwise i can't brush.

14. kalagaan

kalagaan

The helper size can be changed in the Design tab ;)
    Handles ortho size & Handles persp size

Did you download the latest version (1.6.1), it fixes a brush issue for scaled gameobjects.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  15. spinaLcord

spinaLcord

o_O I'm blind. Thank you for the response, this helps me a lot for now.

kalagaan likes this.
  16. MrG

MrG

I've been watching this asset, but all I've seen is short hair / fur that seems rather stiff. Is long hair within reach, like this:

https://i.imgur.com/pxfW7cC.gifv

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  17. kalagaan

kalagaan

The current version includes a long hair motion system, but I'm working on a new version :)
    I'll post some videos asap :p

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    hopeful likes this.
  18. kalagaan

kalagaan

Here a WIP sample of the long hair motion

punk, nirvanajie, hopeful and 4 others like this.
  19. MrG

MrG

Is that supposed to link to a video?

20. kalagaan

kalagaan

No, I've first posted a link to a bigger GIF :p
    This is a quick record of the current version, it uses bones.
    I'll work on a more advanced hair layer with GPU simulation :D

21. MrG

MrG

So I guess I have a stupid browser that doesn't want to play GIF's today. I looked at it on another computer and it looks very good!

kalagaan likes this.
  22. kalagaan

kalagaan

WIP : Shoulders collisions

23. Bigpete591

Bigpete591

Does this asset support UMA at this time?

hopeful likes this.
  24. kalagaan

kalagaan

No, it doesn't support UMA yet :(

25. Ctttdaddy

Ctttdaddy

I am attempting t o add hair to my model but nothing is added. I select the mesh with a mesh renderer on it and the materials and select dran but no hair shows up. If I select fur, the whole besh does get fur though... can anyone help?

26. kalagaan

kalagaan

Hello,
    For the short hair layer, you can change the global scale of the strands in the inspector, maybe the strands are too small, because it could depends on the mesh internal scale.
    You could try on a basic sphere for testing the brush, if you have still an issue, could you send me a fbx of a model that doesn't work? (contact@kalagaan.com)

The fur layer is applied on the whole mesh by default, you have to go to the design tab for painting on the model.
    Here a tutorial

27. Ctttdaddy

Ctttdaddy

It works on a simple sphere. I cant get it to work on my model. My model is about the same size as the sphere so I dont think it is global scale...

28. kalagaan

kalagaan

The scale is set in the import settings of the fbx file.
    If you could send me a sample fbx, I could check why it doesn't work.
    Does the fur layer works?
    Is there any messages in the console?

29. Jakub_Machowski

Jakub_Machowski

Is that shader supporting skinned mesh movmement, I woudl to use it for beard but when my jaw, andlips are mowing beard should too, Will it work this way? Als oon forum i see new renders that looks better please ad it to asset store on your page cause there everywhere are old screeenshots and videos ;)

30. Ctttdaddy

Ctttdaddy

Yes the fur layer seems to work fine. I will send. Thank you

kalagaan likes this.
  31. kalagaan

kalagaan

Yes, the short hair layer generates a skinnedMesh, so it will react to the bone motion, and the BlendShapes of the original character. ;)

32. Jakub_Machowski

Jakub_Machowski

What do you mean by "short hair" and generate skinnem mesh, So I will get additional skinned mesh for that hairs? also is that possible to use only short hair for skinned mesh?

33. BPR

BPR

Hi,

your plugin looks very promising :)
    Is there a way to get existing hair style (geometry and textures) to be displayed with the atlas shader?
    When I put one of the materials that came with the plugin on one of our existing geometry it will become invisible. Meshes that came with the plugin also become invisible apart from the ones in the demo scene, am I missing a vital component?
    I would like to get some quick comparision of the shader lighting with our existing hair style to see how the shader performs.

Kind regards,
    BPR

34. kalagaan

kalagaan

There's 3 layer types :
    - short hair : You can paint the strands on the model and the generator will create a skinnedMesh with all the strands, according to the skin weights of the original character. So it's deformed by the bones of the original character.
    There's a motion zone system for sending the strand animation to the hairDesigner shader.

- long hair : The strands are defined by curves, each curve can be attached to one of the original character bones. The long hair layer create it's own bone system for animation.

- Fur : The layer generate fur shells from the original character, so it's deformed by the bones and the blendshapes.
    You can paint a fur mask on the model with the tools.

You can use many layers on your model. ;)
    Here a demo for the short hair layer and the long hair layer.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  35. kalagaan

kalagaan

Yes, I didn't noticed that :p
    The Length property is missing, so the shader is always invisible.
    The hairDesigner layer override the material data, so it works when you use a mesh generated by the layer.

So you can add the property in the shader :
    Code (CSharp):
    1. _Length("Length", Range(0.0, 1.0)) = 1
    I'll fix it in the next version ;)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  36. BPR

BPR

Hi,
    thanks I can see it now... love that smooth transparency of your shader!
    Initially had some sorting problems, could you briefly elaborate why two materials are used for each mesh? Is it a Unity thing for sorting or just necessary with your shaders? Did not even know my mesh could have two materials...

Kind regards,
    BPR

37. kalagaan

kalagaan

The first material is used for the opacity pass, with shadow receiver and shadow caster, the second add the transparency. :)

wetcircuit likes this.
  38. BPR

BPR

Thanks for elaborating :) And please keep up the good work!

kalagaan likes this.
  39. Jakub_Machowski

Jakub_Machowski

Thanks for reply! :) Sounds good :) I just saw no demo with facial animation an beard on it it is somehing what is missing on your store :) Thanks for info I think I will buy your asset ;)

40. MrG

MrG

Well, shoot...I bought this with UMA in mind. Is there something specific that is a barrier for UMA2 support? Do you need the UMA people to do something?

41. kalagaan

kalagaan

HairDesigner requires some scripts to be added on the mesh, and also needs some bones references and additionnal gameObjects (motion zones), so all must be deployed by script for UMA.
    I have checked this a long time ago, and the compatibility has been delayed because I had some features to add before ( like the blendshape support ).
    @Jaimi has already offered help for that, but I was really busy and I didn't work on it.:confused:
    I'll ask him more info about the UMA integration ;)

MrG likes this.
  42. akuei2

akuei2

Please show me a twin tail with hairband :(
    New purchase and looking forward like this :(

I will love you, if you show me something close to it ... :(

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  43. jorgia

jorgia

Every month I have a new hairstyle, I choose most of the hairstyles and styles here https://therighthairstyles.com/. A lot of tricks and innovations learned about hair care.

kalagaan likes this.
  44. Jakub_Machowski

Jakub_Machowski

Hello I bought your shader few days ago and tested it today :) works really good, But have a question, I would to bake my fur with atlas on it as standard mesh, and then add my shader to it ? I just would to dissolve shader on hair, Is there possible to bake mesh from fur? Of course I understan it will be static then, but it would be greeat to have it :)

45. kalagaan

kalagaan

You can try to duplicate the ponytail in the demo. ;)

Here a sample :

akuei2 likes this.
  46. kalagaan

kalagaan

You can export the mesh generated by the 'short hair layer' and the 'long hair layer' to the project folder :)
    You have to lock every layers, and the save option will be available.
    The atlas shader computes the UV of each strand according to the atlas size, if you want to use your own shader, you have to enable the atlas size in the design tab, the UV will be applied in the mesh data.

47. growling_egg

growling_egg

Hello, I think I may be having a similar issue to another user but I'm not quite sure. I've recently bought HD and am hoping to add hair to some of my characters. I can paint short hair onto a simple sphere, but if I try to paint hair onto my character, I don't see anything. The editor says that strands are being created, but I can't see them, and I wondered if I'm running into the missing length parameter you mentioned earlier? If so, can you let me know what the name of the shader I need to edit is? Thanks!

48. growling_egg

growling_egg

Just noticed there are warnings being thrown in the console when I paint the hair onto my model:

IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
    This error was found in TriangleLock.cs at line 213. I'm using a Synty Studios POLYGON character if you've had any experience with them. Thanks again!

49. growling_egg

growling_egg

Ok I think I've gotten the hair working while my comments await mod approval. Do you have any tips on how to make it look good? I've figured out the brush tool and I've played with all the settings, but I can't get my characters' hair to look as good as the demo. It's mostly the direction the hair goes in - I like how the demo character has hair that kind of sticks up in front and lays down on the sides. It feels like something I just have to practice a lot with, but if there are any hints you've found as you were working on this, I'd appreciate it!

Also, I realize it's a huge ask, but if there's any chance of getting some additional tutorial vids, it would really help!

50. kalagaan

kalagaan

Thank you for the feedback,
    I'm sorry that you had some issues with HairDesigner,
    I'll check why there's some errors with the TriangleLock class.

The final result rely on the textures, in the the material tab, you can open the texture generator.
    Most of the time à use an atlas of 16 cells (size 4)
    I edit the parameters of the first cell with a few hair count (25 or 30), and I copy this cell to the all atlas (copy with random seed). If you use less hair the hair card won't be visible and the haircut will look more natural.
    In the demo, I use different color in the hair atlas, by editing some cells, for adding some variations (some white hair)

I'll do a video tutorial about the texture generator ;)
    I'll also do another tutorial about the long hair layer when the new motion system will be finished.