Search Unity

Hair Designer - Dynamic hair & fur tool

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by kalagaan, Sep 16, 2016.

1. kalagaan

kalagaan

That's weird :confused:
    I've never seen this before...
    What is your version of unity?

2. martin-zs

martin-zs

I've got contant issue on 2017.1.0f3:

ArgumentException: GUILayout: Mismatched LayoutGroup.Repaint
    UnityEngine.GUILayoutUtility.BeginLayoutGroup (UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options, System.Type layoutType) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/IMGUI/Managed/GUILayoutUtility.cs:301)
    UnityEngine.GUILayout.BeginHorizontal (UnityEngine.GUIContent content, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/IMGUI/Managed/GUILayout.cs:286)
    UnityEngine.GUILayout.BeginHorizontal (UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/IMGUI/Managed/GUILayout.cs:276)

Could publisher help?

3. sonjar

sonjar

Hey Kalagaan
    Thank you for that great Asset, it’s a awesome tool to create hair!

Sadly I have an odd behaviour on my MacBook Pro (3,5 GHz Intel Core i7, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB)

Unity crashes when I do the following:
    1. Clicking on a already existing HairDesigner Script and entering the Edit Mode. (therefor unlocking the hair layer)
    2. Changing sth, like adding some hair, brushing it etc. (it doesn’t seem to matter what I change)
    3. I save while editing (The Edits are really saved, when I restart Unity after the crash)
    4. (Either locking or don’t locking the layer again – I tried both, didn’t change anything)
    5. Leaving the Edit Mode and changing the scene or enter the play mode or editing another game object -> Right at this Moment Unity crashes
    Furthermore I have to restart my Mac after the crash, because Unity is still running in the hidden processes.
    My Unity Version is 2017.4.1f1.
    It doesn’t happen, when I add the Hair Designer Script to an object and create a new layer. The first time I create a layer, I can customise everything and save it without a crash.

Can you retrace my problem? Thank you a lot in advance!

—best regards, Sonja

4. kalagaan

kalagaan

It looks like an error of the editor GUI,
    if you collapse the hairDesigner Editor, you won't have these errors.
    Could you send me an email (contact@kalagaan.com) with more informations about this issues?
    What kind of layers you use and when the message is trigged.

5. kalagaan

kalagaan

That's weird :confused:
    I had some crashes before because of the cloth component (from a version of unity to another)
    Did you enabled the cloth on your hair layer?
    I've removed the hair component from my demo scenes, but maybe the scene wasn't updated correctly.
    Does it crash with one of the demo scene?
    Could you send me an email with a package including a scene with the problem?
    Do you use the latest version of HairDesigner?

6. blackant

blackant

hi Kalagaan, i'm using latest version of unity 2018.1.0f2
    i suppose this may happens to with futures updates...

7. kalagaan

kalagaan

I don't have this kind of problem with 2018.1.0f2 and 2018.2.0b4 :confused:
    Do you use the new render pipeline?
    Did you tried to reimport the shader folder?
    Is there an error in the inspector when you select the shader file? (HairDesigner/Shaders/HairDesigner_Atlas.shader)
    What is your target platform?

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  8. sonjar

sonjar

Dear Kalagaan, thanks a lot for the quick answer! I just updated the asset to its latest version, and it feels like it is crashing less, but it still happens sometimes. I sent you an Email with an video of a crash in a demo scene and one in custom scene of mine.
    And I just remembered, that I deleted the whole fur in the asset (before I updated it), because it triggers an error for building the project (maybe only on mobile) – that's also on the video :).
    Thanks a lot in advance!

9. Zed001

Zed001

Hey Kalagaan, I just got Hair Designer as an alternative to Hair Tool (RIP). I can't seem to get it working though.
    Kinda expected, as I'm using 2018.2.0b4, and the High End SRP. However my problem is I can't place hair guides on my skinned mesh. I can't imagine the SRP would mess that up, but I'm wondering if you have tried it. Thanks!

10. SemaphoreStudios

SemaphoreStudios

Hi,

When running the demo scene on PS4 I can see that the hair is there and the physics are working but the shader itself is pink. Any idea how to fix that?

Also, we use morphing in our game in order to allow the user to customize their character. Is there a way to make the hair follow the normals of the mesh so it adapts to different morphs?

11. GrandMasterTux

GrandMasterTux

Hey Everyone,
    Not sure how I can duplicate hair. I am holding down Option+Shift and tried clicking on the strand and everywhere that I can think of, but no luck. Not sure what I am missing. A few things need some more love.
    1. The videos/docs so the community can help drive more engagement. Most certainly a learning curve, where I watched the video's in ultra slow mow many times.
    2. A templating system of hairs (community driven)
    3. What release of Unity the plugin is currently tested with. I am seeing some things that I have to switch back and forth from Designer to Material to Designer as the hair strands fly all over the place. Trust me I understand the amount of time needed to regression test with each release of Unity.
    Overall love the plugin, how involved your with the community, and the time invested. Purchased Hair Designer Pro to show my support!

Duplicate Hair.jpg

OfficialHermie likes this.
  12. local306

local306

Hey @kalagaan, I've been browsing through this forum and checked out some of the included demos. I gotta say this hair solution looks impressive!

I have a female character in need of some longer hair. I saw in one demo a female with longer hair which was good, but I'm curious whether you have any more examples that you could provide just to check it out and see whether it'll be a good fit.

13. kalagaan

kalagaan

I've tried the new SRP, and for now, my shaders are not compatible with it.
    Anyway, you should be able to create the hair curves, if you have issues, maybe there's a problem with the character.
    Some skinned mesh could have problem with the T-pose mode.
    I'm working on a fix.

14. kalagaan

kalagaan

Unfortunatly I don't have a PS4 dev kit.
    Could you send me an email with your invoice number and the error message on shader compilation?
    I could send you some fix.

The blend shapes are not supported, I'll do some tests for regenerating the hair mesh at runtime according to the new morph.

15. kalagaan

kalagaan

Thank you for your support :)

When you hold Alt+shift the duclicate button should appear at the tip of the strand

then you can hold Alt and move the duplicated strand.

1. yes, I should add more video tutorial. :confused: I've a lot of work, but I'll try to add one for the long hair layer.
    2. the strand library will add more possibilities. A overall template for the hair is more difficult, because the hair mesh is skinned with the character bones.
    3. I do my tests on each version from 5.4 to 2018, I have to create specific DLL for each version because the unity API change. This bug is the T-pose bug, it's really hard to fix it because it depends of the bone hierachy.
    I'm working on a fix.

16. kalagaan

kalagaan

Thank you :)
    sorry, I don't have other demos yet. :confused:
    This is in my todo list... but there's always someting else to do before... :oops:

local306 likes this.
  17. r3ndesigner

r3ndesigner

Still watching the thread, i love your work kalagaan, hope strands come soon. I am sending a inspirational video for you.

wetcircuit likes this.
  18. kalagaan

kalagaan

Wow! really nice workflow :)
    Thank you for sharing

19. local306

local306

How challenging would it be to modify the hair mask at runtime (assuming that it's a mask that controls the regions where the fur can grow)?

I'm thinking it would be super cool if you could do custom beards / body hair for a character creator. Where the user can grow out the hair in these regions, then using razor or trimmer, they could shorten or remove hair from spots.

Fluffy-Tails likes this.
  20. Steviebops

Steviebops

IS Hairdesigner compatible with Unity version 2018.1.6?

21. kalagaan

kalagaan

For the fur layer you can use your own mask and change it at runtime.
    For the tool, I do some raycast on the model and get the UV to modify the mask :)

The other layers (short hair and long hair) don't use mask, the hair data (curve, normal...) are stored into the layer and can be modified to generate the finale mesh. So it's more complicated, because it require a T-pose, but you could be abble to write some tools like I did in the editor.

local306 likes this.
  22. kalagaan

kalagaan

Yes, it works with unity 2018.1.6 ;)

23. Steviebops

Steviebops

Im having some trouble on my skinned chars, the short hair isn't appearing when I paint it. It works fine on standard meshes, but not skinned ones.

24. kalagaan

kalagaan

Could you send me a version of your character ? I could do some tests.
    Send me an email (contact@kalagaan.com) with your invoice number and I'll send you a fix. ;)

25. Steviebops

Steviebops

Ok, I'm sending the character and invoice number now, thank you :)

26. blackant

blackant

Hello,

i'm on Unity 2018.1.5f1 and i cannot use hair designer tools.

i have no error message, but using painting brush is just doing nothing.

there are a lot of alerts

Code (CSharp):
    1. Assets/HairDesigner/Scripts/Core/Editor/HairDesignerGeneratorFurShellEditor.cs(117,35): warning CS0618: `UnityEditor.EditorApplication.playmodeStateChanged' is obsolete: `Use EditorApplication.playModeStateChanged and/or EditorApplication.pauseStateChanged'
    3. Fail to fing 3 different vertices
    4. UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning(Object)
    5. Kalagaan.HairDesignerExtension.HairDesignerEditor:CreateColliderAndTpose() (at Assets/HairDesigner/Scripts/Core/Editor/HairDesignerEditor.cs:159)
    6. Kalagaan.HairDesignerExtension.HairGeneratorLongHairBaseEditor:OnInspectorGUI() (at Assets/HairDesigner/Scripts/Core/Editor/HairDesignerGeneratorLongHairEditor.cs:144)
    7. Kalagaan.HairDesignerExtension.HairDesignerEditor:OnInspectorGUI() (at Assets/HairDesigner/Scripts/Core/Editor/HairDesignerEditor.cs:592)
    8. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)
    10. 'Assets/HairDesigner/Demo/HairCut/model/HairCutDemo_HairDesigner.prefab' is not a valid prefab since it has no root game object.
    12. 'Assets/HairDesigner/Demo/HairCut/model/HairCutDemo2_HairDesigner.prefab' is not a valid prefab since it has no root game object.
    14. 'Assets/HairDesigner/Demo/Fur/model/Layers_HairDesigner.prefab' is not a valid prefab since it has no root game object.
    16. 'Assets/HairDesigner/Demo/HairCut/model/HairCutDemo4_HairDesigner.prefab' is not a valid prefab since it has no root game object.
    18. There are inconsistent line endings in the 'Assets/HairDesigner/Shaders/HairDesigner_Standard.shader' script. Some are Mac OS X (UNIX) and some are Windows.
    19. This might lead to incorrect line numbers in stacktraces and compiler errors. Many text editors can fix this using Convert Line Endings menu commands.
    21. There are inconsistent line endings in the 'Assets/HairDesigner/Shaders/HairDesigner_FurShell.shader' script. Some are Mac OS X (UNIX) and some are Windows.
    22. This might lead to incorrect line numbers in stacktraces and compiler errors. Many text editors can fix this using Convert Line Endings menu commands.

27. kalagaan

kalagaan

Hello,
    could you send me a sample that doesn't work? (contact@kalagaan.com)
    I'll do some tests and I'll send you a fix.

28. OfficialHermie

OfficialHermie

I would very much like to ask if it would be possible to introduce hair cards to Hair & Fur Designer.
    I would like to create beard hair like the Blacksmith Beard Hair.
    This would be the bomb if you find the time for that.
    Or perhaps that is already possible, and I just haven't found it yet?
    Here is what the creator of the Blacksmith Hair explained to me about what he did:
    I made several clusters unrapped and textured, after that i started to assort them over the head, they repeat, not unique.
    blacksmith beard cards.jpg

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  29. kalagaan

kalagaan

In the demo I've used the short hair layer to create a beard, and the texture generator for creating different strands. :)

30. OfficialHermie

OfficialHermie

Wow, amazing!
    I never noticed that. It looks exactely like what I needed. Thank you!

Attached Files:

31. OfficialHermie

OfficialHermie

Only when you find the time to reply (I can wait):

I'm not sure if I'm experiencing a bug here. I think the 4 textures do not match.
    I would tend to say that it happens when I play with "Width root".
    I have only unlocked the layer to be able to show it in this screenshot. Usually, it's locked.

hair1.jpg

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  32. OfficialHermie

OfficialHermie

And could you perhaps help me with another problem when you have the time?
    Somehow I managed to wreck it up, I think.
    When I paint hair now, I just see the orange outlines of the mesh, and if they show up, they don't stay for longer than like 100 ms.
    hair2.jpg
    hair3.jpg

33. AlexanderElert

AlexanderElert

Hi Kalagaan! When I decide to finish the design of my hair, I lock all the layers and press the "Save layers" button but I get the following error:

'Assets/.../Model/Layers_HairDesigner.prefab' is not a valid prefab since it has no root game object.
    UnityEditor.AssetDatabase:SaveAssets()
    Kalagaan.HairDesignerExtension.HairDesignerEditor:ExportMesh()
    Kalagaan.HairDesignerExtension.HairDesignerEditor:OnInspectorGUI()
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

What am I doing wrong?
    How can I reuse the design in other models? It has not been very clear to me in the documentation.

Unity Ver. 2017.3.1f1

Thanks!

34. GoRolyGo

GoRolyGo

yea to generate hair cards whould be amazing! (awsoe if could be dynamic)

kind regards
    Daniel

35. OfficialHermie

OfficialHermie

@ORKA43 Huh? I think you can create hair cards. You just need to set the dimensions to 1-2 or however planes you want.

36. OfficialHermie

OfficialHermie

I would like to ask if it's perhaps somehow possible to paint single hair cards at an exact location. Currently, it's a "spray"-like painting. I'm dealing with a thin beard, and the spray is just too rough. If placing single cards would be possible, it'd help a lot. Perhaps this is already included, and I just don't see it?

37. sasob8

sasob8

@kalagaan do you (at least roughly) know when will hair designer support HDRP?
    i am doing HDRP project and i would need it asap :) (if it's not in a month i'll need to find another way :()

thank you

OfficialHermie likes this.
  38. kalagaan

kalagaan

Thank you for the feedback,
    I can't reproduce this bug :confused: what is your version of unity?

39. kalagaan

kalagaan

You need to drag&drop the material ''HD_TextureAtlas", then the UI will be available. ;)
    You'll have to drag& drop the "HD_TextureAtlas_transparent" to the 'transparent material' slot

40. kalagaan

kalagaan

Thank you for the feedback,
    This warning is trigged because I use the asset as a mesh library, not as a prefab.
    I'll add an empty gameObject to avoid the warning ;)

The hair model are linked to the mesh renderer (skin & bones), so you can't use it on other models.
    If you want to create a generic hair cut, you have to use HairDesigner on an hidden scalp, then you could create a prefab and assign it to different characters.

AlexanderElert likes this.
  41. kalagaan

kalagaan

The short hair layer and the long hair layer generates hair card.:)
    I'll add more options for the generation.

42. kalagaan

kalagaan

You can change the "min spacing" in the layer parameters, if you set it to a very small value, you'll have more precision.
    I'll move this parameter to the brush settings ;)

43. kalagaan

kalagaan

Sorry I don't know yet, when I'll work on the HDRP support :confused:
    I'll probably do more tests in september, but I don't know when I'll release it...

44. OfficialHermie

OfficialHermie

@sasob8 Yes, support for HDRP would be great.
    It's a bit blocking right now.
    I do all my stuff with HDRP now.

45. OfficialHermie

OfficialHermie

@kalagaan For me, the Hair Designer starts with the Brush pane selected instead of the Paint pane. Is that intended?

46. OfficialHermie

OfficialHermie

And I would also very much like to vote for HDRP support. Even though it's officially still beta, I consider it really stable.

BD2017 likes this.
  47. hunz

hunz

Hey @kalagaan thank you so much for this amazing tool. I've been using it for a bit with skinned meshes and it's awesome.

I've been playing around with FleX 1.0 over the weekend and noticed that Fur and Long Hair works fine with it but Short Hair seems to not work at all. There is something unique about the way Short Hair works as it clones and setups up the parents when using the tool that doesn't happen with Long or Fur.

Anyways, I'm sure it's not something HUGE on your list of the many things to fix but incase you ever got to it, I would be really appreciative ^_^

48. BD2017

BD2017

+1 for HD Render Pipeline support.

CoderGirlEx likes this.
  49. Aaron2348

Aaron2348

Hi can the hair be exported to put in a character creator like Uma for example?

50. sasob8

sasob8

For current project i would need HDRP support even if it wouldn't work realtime or it would be buggy :)

OfficialHermie and BD2017 like this.