Search Unity

HacknPlan, the Trello for game development

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by chrisestevez, Nov 4, 2015.

1. chrisestevez

chrisestevez

The sale is for yearly subscriptions, check if you are selecting a monthly one, the green badge should appear then.

wccrawford likes this.
  2. wccrawford

wccrawford

Ah, so then I just hadn't actually clicked onto it. I thought I had, but I guess not. That clears that up. :)

3. Teila

Teila

Oh, Chris, I was just teasing. I am going to subscribe. You guys deserve it for the great job you did. :) Thanks for the support.

QFSW likes this.
  4. Teila

Teila

Got it!!!

QFSW likes this.
  5. aer0ace

aer0ace

I have to say that this latest release is the first time I feel like the product has taken a slight step back, solely due to the logged hours input. The introduction of minutes has forced me to type in logged hours rather than increment and decrement with the mouse, and I find this pretty inconvenient. Additionally, I can't type in 0h for no logged hours when completing a task, even though I had previously marked those hours prior to moving to done. I have to mark those with 1m to move to done. Lastly, if I over log my hours, I have to decrement by per hour, like -1h, when I really want to do -30m, which I'm not allowed to do.

Just some additional feedback, not sure if anyone else feels the same about this.

6. chrisestevez

chrisestevez

Thanks for the feedback. I guess is difficult to please everyone, because this has been the top 1 requested feature for a long time. Several things:
    • When completing a task, you can either press Esc or Cancel if you don't want to log anything (you are canceling the time logging, no the completion) or you can directly disable that popup from your user settings (Application tab).
    • We have replaced the insertion of negative values to correct mistakes with the direct edition and removal of the worklogs, go to the worklog section in the task editor and click on the buttons next to the entry (only admins can do this).
    I hope that helps. We will consider allowing choosing the old method of logging work (specially about the numeric input box), but the truth is we received several mails per week requesting the time logging to be more intuitive, because people had trouble with decimal values to add minutes and that lead to confusion and mistakes.

7. aer0ace

aer0ace

Thanks for the reply. The change is definitely not something that would stop me from using the tool. I appreciate all the efforts you guys are throwing into this. Thanks for taking the feedback!

8. chrisestevez

chrisestevez

Hi guys,

We have a new update! It's a small one this time, but it includes a few important features like the GDD exporter and the possibility of adding image attachments using copy & paste.

Read more: DEV DIARY 30 - DOC DOC

Dave-Carlile likes this.
  9. lemonhk

lemonhk

Hi Chris,

i'm interesting in hacknplan, but i'm think which plan we should take.
    we are four student group and we have to integrate with github.
    must all of us should take personal plus?
    or can we apple personal plus for the main person only, and other 3 person for free?

regards,
    lemon

10. chrisestevez

chrisestevez

Hi!

Sorry for the late replay, we've been a bit busy. If one of you purchase Personal Plus, then you can connect your repository to your HacknPlan project. The only inconvenience would be only the person with the premium account will be able to see the commits linked to tasks in HacknPlan. If that is ok with you then that is the best option.

11. chrisestevez

chrisestevez

Hi there,

HacknPlan has been updated! We have added some interesting features like importance level customization (Studio), design element references and more. You can read about all the changes at our blog:

DEV DIARY 31 - POST VACATION BLUES

12. Jake-L

Jake-L

Registered successfully => unable to login (wrong username or password, tried both the entered username and the entered mail, password was correct I'm sure!) => forgot password saying "no user with that mail registered" => re-registering saying "user already exists".

And now?

13. chrisestevez

chrisestevez

Did you receive the activation email and clicked on the link?

14. Jake-L

Jake-L

Got no mail so far. Even if I've entered a wrong mail address by accident, I should be able to login with the choosen username, right?

15. chrisestevez

chrisestevez

No, if the email address should be verified before being able to log in. We will contact you privately to solve the issue.

16. chrisestevez

chrisestevez

Hi everyone,

It's been 2 years since the first version of HacknPlan was released (this post is getting old!), and we wanted to celebrate it by offering a 30% discount on yearly subscriptions and upgrades.

Read more: http://hacknplan.com/birthday-promo?ref=unity

Cheers

17. chrisestevez

chrisestevez

Hi guys,

We have a new update! This time we have rebuilt our drag and drop system for a better performance, usability and mobile support. I hope you like it!

DEV DIARY 32 - DRAG & ROLL

18. chrisestevez

chrisestevez

Hey there,

HacknPlan has been updated! We fixed plenty of bugs and added some interesting features like design element creation on selection, more sorting fields, convert subtasks into tasks (premium)... You can set up a custom background for the app too!

Read more: DEV DIARY 33 - NOVEMBER RAIN

19. chrisestevez

chrisestevez

Xoduz likes this.
  20. aer0ace

aer0ace

Has anyone else had any problems with failed drag/drop of tasks? When arranging my tasks, I noticed you have to be more accurate than before when dropping a task, otherwise, it fails the drop.

21. chrisestevez

chrisestevez

Yes, you are correct, that is an issue we are working on. Before, when you dragged the task out of the list (even slightly) and released the mouse button, the task was dropped on the last valid place you were. Now, when this happens, the task goes back to its original place. That is not the intended behavior, but there was a bug with the previous method that caused tasks to disappear in certain scenarios, so we switched to this method until we fix the bug. Sorry for that.

22. chrisestevez

chrisestevez

Hi there,

We just announced a major update of HacknPlan coming during Q2 2018. It will improve the flexibility, usability and performance of the application, the UI will be enhanced, and the first version of our public API will be available.

You can read more details on our blog: http://hacknplan.com/hacknplan-update-2018/

Cheers!

Xoduz and theANMATOR2b like this.
  23. nicepeaches

nicepeaches

Is there a way to bulk import users from a csv or xls document? I would like to use this for my classroom but I have 120+ students.

24. chrisestevez

chrisestevez

Hey there. I'm afraid that is not supported at the moment, every user account has to follow the registration process and validate their email, so I guess each one of your students has to register themselves.

What we could do, however, is helping you with the setup of projects, so you don't have to invite them one by one. You can write a support request from the application (lifesaver icon on the header) and we can take it from there.

By the way, we have made partnerships with some schools and universities so they can enjoy all the features included in the Studio version at a special price. If you are interested, contact us.

25. aer0ace

aer0ace

Error establishing a database connection

Help?

26. QFSW

QFSW

Weird, works for me

27. aer0ace

aer0ace

They fixed it already. They pinged me on Twitter.

28. FloHal

FloHal

I use hacknplan and it's a really good tool! It just need a fresh design, but i see in the roadmap that this is plan for the next release.

Good works!

29. aer0ace

aer0ace

I thought the interface already looked great, but the update looks even better! I like how more slick and streamlined it looks.

30. zakdank

zakdank

Just started using this, looks great. One thing I absolutely loved with trello is being able to work offline from my phone. It meant I could work on things while travelling about.

Will there be any mobile app and offline support?

31. recursive

recursive

Slowly but surely, my Art Director is making some of our contractors use it regularly. Which is more than I can say for when I tried running phabricator on AWS and nobody used it.

EDIT: It's a fantastic tool, I just need to work on making it easy to on board people to use it more often. Based on my experience a lot of indie projects have issues with getting people to use PM tools in general. Are there any new video guides I could point people towards?

32. one_one

one_one

This looks quite interesting! Is there an API for creating cards/issues, e. g. for an automatic feedback/bug report tool integrated into a game? Is there maybe even a plugin/integration for unity for that already?

EDIT: Just read the FAQs, no public API as of now. I have to say that the ability to handle feedback & bug reports automatically is a must-have in my books. Plus, since there only seem to be integration with GitHub, GitLab and BitBucket, we'd have to write our own corresponding git hook scripts. So a public API would be pretty important there as well.

EDIT 2: Alright, just signed up, giving it a spin right now. Definitely would have liked having this on my radar earlier, but I have to admit the name kinda put me off because it sounds quite amateurish (sorry).
    Anyway, reading the latest posts on reddit the public API seems to be a priority, so I won't pester you with that. Since I seem to be missing the obvious stuff: Is there already a more convenient way to add additional data to cards? The only option I seem to have figured out is the 'Add' dropdown menu, which quite frankly is cumbersome. Using Trello right now, adding new information and assigning cards is a breeze, in most cases literally a single click or drag & drop. Same with FogBugz/Manuscript.
    I also find the layout to be a bit quirky, especially the way the 'real' information only gets about half of the screen real estate and then sits on the right side. I certainly see the merit of having a list view of tasks on the left side to quickly open up other tasks in a single click, but the task list seems to get way too much horizontal space. And maybe I'm just too used to it because of FogBugz/Trello but there's just something nice about having the 'area of focus' (i. e. an open task) in the center of the screen. I guess it's about visually communicating what the most important thing is right now.
    Especially for the design model, I think a grid/square layout would be a nice alternative to the lists. And speaking about general UX, call me clumsy, but a lot of the buttons seem to be needlessly small: expanding folders, adding stuff etc. Maybe even buttons in general. I guess that's part of my gripe with the add dropdown as well. Common actions need big buttons, Fitt's Law etc.
    Anyway, just my initial feedback for now, hope it wasn't just stuff that's on the to-do list anyway. Definitely will be trying this out further.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  33. one_one

one_one

Right. Guess their subreddit is getting read more frequently but I don't feel like joining reddit just for giving feedback.

Anyway, not sure if this has been reported but: When dragging Game Design Model items onto another item, they sometimes just get... lost. I was assuming they simply vanished, because they can't be found via the search function either. Until something seemingly triggered the Game Design Model to refresh (?), there they were again.

Oh and a feature request: It would be cool if references worked both ways - i. e. an item has a list of all items that reference it. Would particularly help with the Game Design Model in seeing how things are related.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  34. amyzenwork

amyzenwork

35. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

It looks okay, but it will never beat hacknplan here as hacknplan is geared towards game development and everything from the UI design to features show that.

I also fee like we get more for the free version of hacknplan than zenkit from looking at the pricing.

36. aer0ace

aer0ace

I ran into a bug today. While shifting around tasks between boards, I noticed that when clicking on the "i" button (next to Add Task), the Estimated Hours does not get updated. However, when checking Metrics, the correct Estimated Hours is displayed.

37. aer0ace

aer0ace

Error establishing a database connection?

EDIT:
    Okay, it's back up...

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019