Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

HacknPlan, the Trello for game development

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by chrisestevez, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Roni92pl

Roni92pl

Please fix adding new task in random place between others, it should show up on top or bottom, it's really cumbersome to look for every just created task.

2. chrisestevez

chrisestevez

They should be always added to the bottom of the list, we will try to detect when this is not happening and fix it.

3. chrisestevez

chrisestevez

Hey guys,

We updated HacknPlan today! We added some interesting features, like task filtering and sorting, popup to update the total cost of finished tasks, performance improvements...

http://hacknplan.com/dev-diary-9-2016-03-27/

Cheers!

4. chrisestevez

chrisestevez

Hi there,

A new version of HacknPlan is live. We added login with Google and a new task edition panel integrated into the board to improve the productivity. Check out the details at http://hacknplan.com/dev-diary-10-2016-04-26/

Cheers!

5. Ony

Ony

The login page isn't loading for me. The site is, but when I click login it just sits there loading. Anyone else?

voltage likes this.
  6. voltage

voltage

Same. Hoping to try the 'login with Google' once it's back up.

Ony likes this.
  7. virror

virror

Wow, this sounds awesome, have to check it out right away!

Edit: Looking good so far! but the animation for the Category Distribution is seriously annoying : D
    Another thing i noted when i was going to add Game Models was that when i click in Name field the default name should be selected, its a bit annoying to have to remove the old one first i think.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  8. Ony

Ony

Ok, it finally loaded up. All is well. :)

GarBenjamin likes this.
  9. virror

virror

Just to bother you some more : p
    There are a lot of space just sitting there next to "Boards" tab when in Boards view, this is a big waste of space i think, would be a lot better if this space could be used to show more of the board instead. The more cards i can see at one time, the better : D

Also, any plans to allow for customization of the "Main" categories (Planned, in progress)? I like to have my bugs separate, and my screen is wide, so it would allow (again) to get more cards on the screen at the same time since most of the names are pretty short. This and the ability to swithc the left panel to a "mini view" (maybe just show the icons for the categories) wold make its super awesome, i think Trello really manage to get a lot of screenspace for the cards which is the thing thats most important for a planning tool of this kind.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  10. QFSW

QFSW

I love this
    This is gonna replace my 10x post it note 'to do' list

11. chrisestevez

chrisestevez

Thanks for the feedback. We are about to reorganize everything a bit, which will fix some of the issues you mention. We will also add a board configuration panel to select what you want to display.

12. virror

virror

Yeah, saw you posted on facebook just a few mins after i made my post here, really love the new slick look!

13. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

Any plans on making a tut for this?

14. chrisestevez

chrisestevez

Sure, we even started to create a full user guide, but we are waiting because we are about to make important changes that would require to rewrite a big part of it.

Master-Frog likes this.
  15. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

Cool. I'm sure you have some ideas on how this should be used.

16. chrisestevez

chrisestevez

Hi guys,

A new version of HacknPlan is live, you can take a look at http://hacknplan.com/dev-diary-11-2016-05-08/. This one has been a UX improvement iteration, where we have redesigned the navigation scheme of the site to reduce clicks and make the tool more intuitive and simple. I hope you like it :)

Cheers

Ony likes this.
  17. Taschenschieber

Taschenschieber

This is a really neat tool, am using it to keep me organized in my current mini-project and am loving it so far.

Two things I miss are a more precise way to keep track of actual hours, at least down to 15 minutes as the base unit (I do many short sessions as a hobbyist), and a "clock in / clock out" feature that automatically tracks time spent on a task.

QFSW likes this.
  18. QFSW

QFSW

This, if you added this the service would be complete for me

19. chrisestevez

chrisestevez

Thanks for the feedback guys! The time tracker is coming soon, probably before the summer. About the time units, we allowed the cost to be a decimal number to put things like 0.25 hours (15 mins). Anyway, I'll see if this is not working for more people and will look for a solution.

Ony and Taschenschieber like this.
  20. Taschenschieber

Taschenschieber

Didn't realize that. But now you told me, it works fine.

21. BYD

BYD

Google login doesn't work for me. Everytime I try the login page appears again without me being logged in (using Safari and Firefox).

22. aer0ace

aer0ace

I just signed up yesterday, as I'm going through a shift in my development process, of sorts. Of what I've used so far, which wasn't much, it was a good experience.

Currently, I'm using a self-hosted MantisBT server for my bugs, and I've also been using it for features, which is obviously pretty awkward.

I also vote for a self-hosting feature. Also, is there a way to download backups of your project database? That would be awesome.

Ony likes this.
  23. Ony

Ony

I love HacknPlan. Seriously, I started using it thinking "oh, this looks interesting maybe" and now I use it for all kinds of projects, even things that aren't specifically game dev related. It's even on my resume as one of my preferred organizational tools, because I find it so useful for production.

Great job on this great tool. Keep it up. Definite fan here. :)

aer0ace likes this.
  24. KnightsHouseGames

KnightsHouseGames

When I came into this, I was skeptical, thinking "I thought Trello was the Trello for Game development." But looking at your UI, this actually does look rather useful. I might take a look at it for my next project

Ony likes this.
  25. chrisestevez

chrisestevez

Thanks for the comments guys, I'm glad you like the tool :)

aer0ace and Ony like this.
  26. chrisestevez

chrisestevez

Nobody reported issues with the Google login before. Did you manage to make it work? It may have been a temporary issue in the server.

27. chrisestevez

chrisestevez

The backup is in our backlog :)

28. chrisestevez

chrisestevez

29. Gekigengar

Gekigengar

Is there a way to convert my whole Trello project to Hacknplan?

I have so much cards, its going to be ridiculous to move everything manually :(

30. chrisestevez

chrisestevez

Nope, sorry. We want to build an importer but we didn't have time yet :-/

Gekigengar likes this.
  31. Gekigengar

Gekigengar

Well, glad to know its being planned!
    I will be waiting for the converter, and continue with Trello till then!

I fell in love with the Hacknplan features!
    Will convert asap when an importer is ready!

32. Gekigengar

Gekigengar

Hello. how do I setup due date for milestones?
    It always disables the 'create' button whenever something is entered within the due date text field.

And please make it possible to delete the default Category & sub category (Not just disable it).
    I don't see why they should populate the category list if they are not applicable in the current project.

Having them on the list just makes things more cluttered..or maybe its just my OCD :p

But hey, it helps people like me a lot!, I always have this unexplainable tension whenever I see things that are cluttered. :(
    I don't want to feel the same thing whenever I open up my category editor.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  33. chrisestevez

chrisestevez

Which browser are you using? The due date works well for me. It's a standard HTML5 date field, but you know some browsers don't apply the standard very well... We are planning to create a custom date selector to avoid those issues.

About deleting the default categories, well, yes, we could allow it, but we didn't just in case some people want them back. Sometimes we just wait for the users to give us feedback :)

34. Gekigengar

Gekigengar

Firefox v39.0.0

And yes, I would love for the ability to remove them! :D

35. SprinkledSpooks

SprinkledSpooks

Registration process is very easy and professional. Only suggestion I would add is to optimize the site for mobile devices.

36. chrisestevez

chrisestevez

Thanks for your feedback. We are already working on the mobile site, it will be ready during this month probably. We also plan to provide a native app at some point.

37. Gekigengar

Gekigengar

While we are using this, we will be adding more and more [Wishlist] that will make
    things much more convenient for us to use!

Current wishlist :
    1. Deleting multiple sub-task
    2. Undo
    3. Deleting default template categories
    4. Assigning due date in milestones (Bugged?) (Update button becomes disabled upon entering anything in the due date)
    5. Changing task categories by Drag & Drop

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
  38. chrisestevez

chrisestevez

Thanks for the feedback. About the date in milestones, we are currently working on replacing the default html5 date field, which doesn't work in all the browsers, by a custom one. The rest of the features will be implemented at some point, except the undo functionality. To be able to perform undo operations, we need to internally keep data you deleted, which is tricky in the cloud (from the legal point of view), you can see this feature is not very common in cloud services.

Gekigengar likes this.
  39. QFSW

QFSW

Would you be able to have undo that only works during that session? so rather than logging it in the cloud, keep it cached while the page is open?

40. chrisestevez

chrisestevez

That would work for single users, but it would be really confusing when there are several people working on the same project. Anyway, we'll think about it.

41. Gekigengar

Gekigengar

Updated Current wishlist :
    1. Deleting multiple sub-task
    2. Undo
    3. Deleting default template categories
    4. Assigning due date in milestones (Bugged?) (Update button becomes disabled upon entering anything in the due date)
    5. Changing task categories by Drag & Drop [New]
    Hmm, is it possible to have a tree diagram for an overview mode of the project's board as a whole? (Categories, and tasks from all/selected milestones)

I feel like this will help provide us information of the project as a bigger picture.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
  42. GODS_MONSTERS

GODS_MONSTERS

This looks promising! Are you planning to make a mobile version for this? With mobile version, we can access this almost anywhere and everywhere.

43. chrisestevez

chrisestevez

This is planned, it will come this month or next one.

This is interesting, we don't have anything planned in the short term, but we want to provide a lot more reports in the future, and a global overview would be nice (although is a challenge, especially if the project is big).

44. chrisestevez

chrisestevez

Yes, we plan to add full mobile support. The first step is to improve the mobile version of the website, that has issues at the moment, and we'll work on a native app after the service is officially released (last quarter of this year).

45. chrisestevez

chrisestevez

Hey guys, HacknPlan was updated yesterday.

We released our brand new task search engine plus a task dependency system that will bring a new level of organization to your boards, allowing to block tasks that depend on others and being able to visually spot bottlenecks and possible issues. We also added some other improvements and bug fixes.

http://hacknplan.com/dev-diary-13-2016-06-06/

Hope you like the new stuff :)

Deleted User and GODS_MONSTERS like this.
  46. GODS_MONSTERS

GODS_MONSTERS

Thanks for the update! I registered it yesterday and will probably start using for my future projects! Keep up the good work :)

chrisestevez likes this.
  47. chrisestevez

chrisestevez

Thanks! I hope you find it useful :)

GODS_MONSTERS likes this.
  48. GODS_MONSTERS

GODS_MONSTERS

Other than "Planned, In Progress, Testing and Done" can we add more cards? Or will that be in the future updates?

49. chrisestevez

chrisestevez

That will come in the future. I want HacknPlan to be usable and clean, so I need to find the way to add more columns in a way it doesn't end up as other tools which have too much information on the screen and are difficult to manage.

GODS_MONSTERS likes this.
  50. aer0ace

aer0ace

I find myself using HackNPlan a lot more lately. I have a couple of feature requests from my particular user path:

1. On the Kanban panel, I wanted to be able to adjust the hours completed/estimated directly in each task widget, such that I can "batch" change task hours much quicker.

2. On the Kanban panel, I wanted to see what date a task was moved to the Completed bucket. If it's moved back out of the bucket, the date is cleared, and if it's moved back onto Completed, the last date it was moved is given.

These requests may already be part of the plan. These are just things I ran across while using it.

Keep it up!