Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

HACKING, extremely important

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by abul_ooz, Oct 7, 2009.

1. abul_ooz

abul_ooz

Hi All,
    I am testing a multiplayer game locally on our local network.

today i found a hacker that connected and hosted a game that i can join!!!!!!???

i checked his IP address and hes in another country?

is he hacking into the local network and getting access to files on our hard disks and launching the game and creating a session???

how can i prevent hacking?

please help, thanks

2. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

I guess you are using the masterserver and have not changed your games name that you use for the masterserver list.

3. abul_ooz

abul_ooz

so when i change the game name noone can access it except people who have the game name?

sorry, im a newbie

4. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

Yes, since you were probably using the same gamename for the masterserver as the unity networking tutorials(?) anyoe could see your game being hosted, and you could see other people games...even though the games itself might be completely different.

5. abul_ooz

abul_ooz

oh ok, i panicked there for minute... thought there was a hacker or something.

so this is dont to test connectivity and multiplayer functions like joining games, hosting games and such.

but u cant test actual ingame functions like character damage etc cos u might be loading a completely different game that happens to have the same gamename...

right?

6. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

If I understand you well:

Yes, you'll always be able to connect..but the networking and game logic wont match...so network messages will make no sense and will probably generate errors.

7. abul_ooz

abul_ooz

ok great, thanks for ur help

cheers

8. haxoan87

haxoan87

thanks , I'm a newbie .I have a question :
    How to check gametype exactly when using masterserver.
    Because gametype name may be same or version game different but have same gametype name.

9. zumwalt

zumwalt

FYI when starting your server (regardless of the master server) you have a 3'rd parameter for the server, that is a password. So your server can have a password, but currently the master server which is nothing but a broadcaster, doesnt' have a password, so anyone using Unity can use your master server if they know its ports and IP, but not anyone can play on your game server if you have setup a password.

Game Server: password
    Master Server: no password
    Game Client -> Master Server to get a list of games, when connecting to a game from the list if the game requires a password, the client must supply the password.

You need to read up more on what each piece of this puzzle is. In the Wish List I have a wish for the master server to be allowed to have a password also. Now granted I can add a password feature into my own master server but it does me no good since I have no access to the client or server code that is built in to Unity to add an overload that allows that password to be used. That is what I am hoping they add in 2.6, it is very important.

Go vote for that wish!