Search Unity

Hacked my own Webplayer!

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Agrios, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Agrios

Agrios

So finally I decided to verify what people say and opened my game prototype with Reflector
    to see... EVERYTHING including Debug log statement :eek:

Is it really like that, or only free Unity version does that?
    Can I at least remove my Debug notes and log messages from compiled version?

Also, I noticed that some scripts, server specific are included in the client side build.
    I am quite certain, none of them or any of variables is used in client, and yet they are part
    of client build.

2. justinlloyd

justinlloyd

This topic has been answered multiple times on the forums and Answers, but in essence, yeah, that's pretty much all there is too it. I can take any non-obfuscated Unity project and read through what the programmer did, pull out textures and models and sound effects.

3. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

Do editor scripts get included in there?

4. Dreamora

Dreamora

no, they exist only in the editor, nowhere else

5. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Thanks dreamora

6. Agrios

Agrios

I just need some time to let it sink...
    Probably Debug.Logs in WebPlayer were the most shocking part to me... aren't we suppose strive for smaller builds here?
    Is there a software to prepare source C# for compilation by removing Debug and comments from code?

7. Dreamora

Dreamora

you strive for what you want. If you tell the webplayer to output a debug log it will do so into the webplayer log file and thats for a reason: you want to be able to get such informations in case users have problems, don't you? Because blind guess debugging will never wokr out :)

8. Agrios

Agrios

And why would I want to do this if I have sources ?
    Seriously, why would I want all my source TODOs and NOTEs and comments and Debug.Logs be embedded in compiled package and available for everybody to read?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  9. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Comments aren't included. You want Debug.Log to work for the reasons dreamora said. Debug.Log isn't for notes and comments; if you're using it for that, you shouldn't be.

--Eric

10. Agrios

Agrios

I've been using Debug to trace variables and program flow, but will have to find other way of doing it.
    Also will have to develop some scrambling of strings holding important data.