Search Unity

Hack n' Slash, Beat em' Up

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by AustinK, Apr 24, 2013.

1. AustinK

AustinK

Hello all.

So, I've been reluctant to post anything about the game that myself and a friend are working on because of updates. With work, me being married, our exercising routines, and us wanting a social life sometimes those updates are few and far between. But it seems that some members here still like to see the growth of a game instead of just seeing it when it's close to release, or beta.

Anyways, the team is just us two. I'm a programmer and he's an artist, so with our powers combined *holding rings into the air*... we wanna make a game (I hope I was still able to get the Captain Planet theme song stuck in your head).

The Game
    The game has no name as of yet, but if you want a name I suppose we can go with....... Project Corvus. It will be a Hack n' Slash / Beat em' Up style game. Gameplay wise we were largely inspire by Castle Crashers and the God of War series. Art inspiration has come from Darksiders II and Diablo III. Our inspiration for story, well what little story the game will have, is coming from Norse Mythology. Now, of course, when I say inspiration I don't mean anything is going to look or feel like the aforementioned games. We just want to give you an idea.

So, I'm hoping we can update often enough to not get deleted by breaking the rules (it is only 1 time a month after all), but we will of course be trying to post updates more often as to not lose your guys interest either. Now, with this post we've given a screen shot of a weapon we have created. We hope you like it. The artist is AMAZING at what he does. I can't wait to see more of his work, and I hope you do to.

Please keep in mind most updates will be art for now. I'm still building some systems, learning mecanim, and just trying to get things SLIGHTLY functional before showing anything.

Take Care.
    - Austin

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  2. SuperSlonik

SuperSlonik

Dat hammer! good luck!

3. AustinK

AustinK

Thanks SuperSlonik.

***These are some updates for coding. This is everything that has happened since we started a couple of weeks ago***
    • Simple menu system is up going.
    • The character selector accepts multiple players now.
    • The camera follow is simple but working.
    • My player input script is sending out events when certain buttons are hit.
    • I've got some animations working with a model I got from a tutorial. I'm still learning mecanim though.
    • I've got HUDs showing up in the correct positions depending on what player controller they belong to.
    ... I think that's it for now.

Also, I have some small updates graphically; A health potion and a magic potion.

- Austin

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  4. helioraanswer

helioraanswer

pics or didn't happen :)

5. AustinK

AustinK

Well that's weird, they aren't showing up on certain browsers/OS's for some reason.

We do have pictures though.

Anyone know why this would happen? I figured unity's forums would handle this sort of thing.

EDIT: Okay, I believe they are showing up now for everyone? Let me know if you don't see the images.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  6. dr-electro

dr-electro

Sounds interisting! I am working on a similar game so i'm curious what you guys come up with! ;D

7. AustinK

AustinK

Cool dr.electro! I took a look at what you have so far, and t's looking good.

What are your target platforms?

8. AustinK

AustinK

Okay, I think I finally got this pictures working. The

9. AustinK

AustinK

Wow. So it's been a while since any updates. Life has been pretty busy. As I said, we're going pretty slow right now, but we are going. heh. Anyways, here is another item we've created.

As for programming updates:
    • I re-wrote the item system allowing for future expansion. We have the idea that maybe the player will be able to create their own items using in game currency collected from killing enemies and what-not. For example, a potion that is both mana and heal. Or maybe you've picked up a major potion but want to share it, well turn it into a throwable item and whoever is within the radius gets a partial heal.
    • The character selection screen is more complete, allowing you to go through a list of character and choose one and wait on other players to select one also.

Most of my time has gone into the item system lately. I put some of the items in game to see how that works, since this is all new to me. Ummm, I think that's all I've really update so far, except for minor updates here and there but aren't worthy of making the list. Thanks everyone! And sorry things are so slow.

- Austin

10. Squeakbox

Squeakbox

This is looking amazing! I should learn about how to do those kinds of textures, it really makes everything stand out! Are you using uv and uv2 textures, or texture3d? It's very stunning!

11. AustinK

AustinK

Thanks Squeakbox! Each item on this thread is rendered in Marmoset with 1 unique texture. We are planning on buying a shader package later down the road since I don't know shader programming (or maybe I'll learn, but there are some beautiful packages in teh asset store).

I hope that answered your question?

12. Squeakbox

Squeakbox

Sure, I'll probably look into it tomorrow. Keep up the awesome work~