Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

h.265 playback performance?

Discussion in '2019.1 Beta' started by marcusestes, Nov 27, 2018.

1. marcusestes

marcusestes

I’m really excited about the new support for h.265 video. I’m hoping that it improves performance of the panoramic shader, which has previously had difficulty with 4K files.

Has anyone had a chance to test this out? I’m going to be updating some old projects this week, I’ll post results here when I have them.

2. LostPanda

LostPanda

@marcusestes any news for that? h265 is better then h264.

3. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

h265 has better compression but it's not easier to encode or decode, so performance wise it may be worse.
    files will be smaller with h265.
    Some new video cards and cpu's have dedicated hardware h265 support to speed things up.

4. FrancisBert

FrancisBert

Unity Technologies

Hi @marcusestes,

As mentioned by @Lars-Steenhoff, the H.265's performance is tightly linked to its hardware decoder implementation.
    Note that where hardware support is not provided, a software fallback implementation might be available, but, obviously, provides less than ideal decoding performance results.
    The major gain of the H.265 codec is to offer similar video quality as the H.264 codec with approximately half the bitrate.
    It aims to reduce storage space and bandwidth use.

That being said, I'm curious to see the results you get when updating your projects.

Don't hesitate if you need more info on the H.265 support.

satchell and Cromfeli like this.
  5. afasdfasf

afasdfasf

So it is 2019 July. Does Unity support H.265 video now?