Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Video H.265 Import Failure

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by prismexpress, Mar 28, 2024.

1. prismexpress

prismexpress

Hi all,

We're working on mobile VR app that utilizes many large 360 videos, mostly encoded with H.265. As the number of videos has grown, we've been encountering more and more import failure errors. Despite all videos being encoded with identical settings, some of them consistently get stuck during the import process.

At times, we've managed to resolve this issue by re-rendering the video again with a handful of black frames at the beginning or end, but this obviously isn't ideal and often doesn't even work.

We're currently using Unity 2021.3.36. but the issue also exists in Unity 2022.3.22.
    I've tried to import on multiple Windows 10 machines and they same videos fail on each machine. I'm personally working on a Windows 10 machine with up-to-date drivers and all the necessary H.265 extensions installed.

For reference, in general the videos are 5120x2560 29.97. The bitrate depends on the file, but doesn't seem to correlate to whether the file succeeds or fails.

Below is the error message extracted from the Editor.log:
    I've used ffmpeg to remove the audio stream of a file and the video still refused to import.

Our primary reason for importing these files into the editor is to package them into Addressable bundles. We're not using Unity to retranscode or anything. Switching to H.264 seems to resolves the issue, but we'd prefer to continue using H.265 due to concerns about file size if possible.

I'm at a loss as to what's causing this so any help would be appreciated.