Search Unity

Gzip Compression In Webgl

Discussion in 'Web' started by mma1377, Oct 6, 2019.

1. mma1377

mma1377

Hello,
    I used this method https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/webgl-deploying.html to use gzip compression in webgl.
    The loading time of my webgl wasn't reduced at all. So I downloaded .unityweb files separately from typing their directory address in my browser. A file with 5MB size was increased to 19MB after using native gzip in my server. Then I removed gzip from my server. The result was that the download size of that .unityweb file was 5MB.
    It seems when I configure my server to host gzip instead of reducing the size it is making them much bigger.
    If I am wrong can anyone explain what is exactly happening?

ThiagoPaschoalini likes this.
  2. doctorpangloss

doctorpangloss

You must correctly set the mime type in your server.

mma1377 likes this.
  3. mma1377

mma1377

What mime type should I add?
    There is nothing about mime type for apache in the document!

4. jukka_j

jukka_j

Unity Technologies

It just is not possible that an uncompressed file would be 5MB and a gzip-compressing that file would grow up to 19MB. This reads like a misconfiguration of some sorts.

The MIME type does not affect the actual size of the bytes that are transferred, but doctorpangloss is correct that the MIME types should be set appropriately:

The file game.data.unityweb should be served with HTTP header Content-Type: application/octet-stream.
    The file game.wasm.code.unityweb should be served HTTP header Content-Type: application/wasm, and
    the file game.wasm.framework.unityweb should be served with HTTP header Content-Type: application/javascript.

If the files are pre-gzipped on disk, the web server should be configured to add the HTTP header Content-Encoding: gzip when serving them. If automatic HTTP server "on-the-fly" compression is used, then the project should be exported Uncompressed from Unity project export settings, and HTTP server should manage setting the Content-Encoding: gzip header as it does the compression.

Use Chrome Developer Tools Network tab to troubleshoot and debug what HTTP Response headers are actually getting set by your server: https://developers.google.com/web/tools/chrome-devtools/network . That tool can also be used to debug the download time and transfer sizes of the network download.

mma1377 likes this.
  5. doctorpangloss

doctorpangloss

Your server is misconfigured for sure. Unity will correctly make an `accept-encoding: gzip` request, but your server is for some reason not responding to this correctly and decompressing the file for Unity.

Don't use apache. Try to use a hosted file service like S3, for which there are clearer and simpler routes to getting what you need.

mma1377 likes this.
  6. ghubert_twin

ghubert_twin

Hi guys, sorry to dig this out but i can't find a solution anywhere on the web right now and everyone seems to have knowledge that i dont and i can't get my hands on it :(

I'm using unity 2021.1 to build Webgl builds and i can't get rid of that message when uploading my game to my website hosted on OVH :

"You can reduce startup time if you configure your web server to add "Content-Encoding: gzip" response header when serving "Build/BuildGzip.data.unityweb" file."

i get a warning for each file concerned and i don't uinderstand why nothing i do or search is making me progress,

tried using .htaccess to get things done, doesnt work
    tried looking on OVH for some settings to setup correctly wut didn't find anything either,

Can someone light me up on what i am missing here ? i'm 3d artist with some dev skills but clearly don't have any reliable knowledge on webdev

thanks,
    regards

radiantboy and sama-van like this.
  7. sama-van

sama-van

I just asked about it to the OVH forum, let see if someone reply...
    - https://community.ovh.com/en/t/unity3d-webgl-ovh-server/10568