Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Guids on meta files changed after I pulled my teammate work...

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by Rafarel, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Rafarel

Rafarel

Hello there,

I just pulled the work of my teammate that is ahead of my local version, he has updated some graphics and animation. Just after the update, Collab 2.0 tells me that I have some changes to push ... Sounds weird right ?
    So I checked the diff, and it appears that Unity is changing the guids of the files I just pulled ...
    What is happening here ? I am on the path to have a super corrupted project with missing references everywhere ?

@ryanc-unity Any idea ?

guid_diff.png

dan_ginovker likes this.
  2. Rafarel

Rafarel

I think that my teammate delete a folder, then recreate one with the same name and put in this folder its new version of his work then push to collab. It looks like a real mess and a lot of guid are messed up. How a tool like collab allow to do this? It is supposed to help with people that are not familiar with versioning. Collab is a huge waste of time in my project because almost a quarter of the time is used to fix these kind of mess since two years ... Two years that I'm struggling with this tool, and I am about to simply give up on my own project because I just can't work on doing my game, I'm always fighting against Unity bugs and versioning issues ...

3. leos_unity

leos_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi Rafarel, I can understand how painful that can be. Unfortunately, these types of issues are caused more broadly by the Unity Editor and stemming from multiple problems, though this is definitely an area we want to improve.

Sounds like the repro steps for this case are:
    1. Remove a folder that is under version control.
    2. Add back the folder with the same name.
    3. Note that the .meta file will show a different guid for the folder.

Please do let us know of good repro steps as you run into these problems. Also, which version of Unity was this? I believe there have been a bunch of fixes in 2019.3.

4. Rafarel

Rafarel

Hello there !
    We are working on Unity 2019.3.0f6

5. leos_unity

leos_unity

Unity Technologies

Hm, reading the repro steps a bit more carefully, I think this is what is happening:
    1. Remove a folder with assets that already has .meta files generated.
    2. Add back the folder and assets with the same name.
    3. Loading these assets / folder into Unity.
    4. Unity thinks these are new assets and regenerates the .meta file (and the guid).

Is that accurate? I assume that this would be avoided if the new assets were copied on top of the existing ones? This is tricky since Unity doesn't know about the previously generated .meta files.

Did the changes to the meta files resolve automatically when downloading these changes?

Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  6. Rafarel

Rafarel

Hi @leos_unity, I just can't tell you what did my teammate and neither can he ...
    I just deleted all the stuff that seems to be corrupted in terms of guids and restart all over again.

We are using the last collab 2.0 ang I think that my teammate delete a folder then recreate it.
    The folder is marked with a grey icon, but does not appears in the change list.
    Anyway the change list of the 2.0 is soooo bugy ...
    On my side I have a git repo to really see what's happening with my files.

Have a nice day :)