Search Unity

Guides / tutorials for this type of multiplayer?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Gibbonuk, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Gibbonuk

Gibbonuk

Hi, im wanting to have a go at implimenting multiplayer into my project and from reading all the tutorials it appears that they do it more or less one way, and probably for a good reason (it works!).

But for how my project is setup I dont think it will be the best way and probably not needed.

My project is a flight sim and the flight model is very physics based with also a wind system integrated and ive been advised that the better way would be to:

Instead of spawning lots of the same physics heavy gameobjects, to just have one locally (you) and then the rest just "non-physics based game objects" that retreive positions and rotations from all the others?

The only data I would need to receive is locations and rotations, nothing else (as in rockets or anything)

So I was just wondering if there are any guides or tutorials floating about for me to work though?
    Or even a name for this type of multipler for me to google it.

Thanks
    Andy

2. scippo97

scippo97

you can simply use an RPC Call to the server, then the server can send an RPC Call to every client with the parameters required.

3. Gibbonuk

Gibbonuk

HI, im just bringing this back up because im currently struggerling to get somthing going.

If i understand correctly, For me to send transform data from my local physics controlled object over the network which simply sets the transform of a mesh object, the 2 game objects are different?

It seems from my test, If i send data using RPC, i can only receive that data via the RPC if its on the script attatched to the same game object it was sent from?

What am i doing wrong, or not understanding?

Thanks