Search Unity

Guidelines for developing Oculus quest games?

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by steveh2112, Nov 19, 2018.

1. steveh2112

steveh2112

I know there will be no dev kits or even detailed docs for Oculus quest until next year, but just wondering, any basic guide for developing for quest? for example, how many polygons should i limit my characters and static assets to? what total poly count should i be thinking about in a scene? thanks

2. DaDonik

DaDonik

Check out some Oculus Go games, the graphics capabilities should be pretty much the same. The Quest will have slightly better hardware, but also higher resolution, which will most likely result in similar performance figures than the Oculus Go.

3. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Have Oculus abandoned desktop VR? Two mobile devices short after each other and no word about desktop. Sad...

4. Ostwind

Ostwind

Watch OC5 talks on their channel a they give examples how to prepare or dev for quest without the device.

5. Ostwind

Ostwind

Well there is the rumored Rift S for desktop but in general mobile VR is much more profitable than desktop VR. PC hardware is lagging behind in terms of performance and cost or desktop VR eye tracking, etc. have not advanced enough to reduce rendering load.

6. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Well because of the ultra low end hardware in those the games need to look like they are form last century :) not very ideal.

tobii did the eyetracking for StarVR Valve/Oculus should hire them to fix foveated rendering

7. Ryiah

Ryiah

I would love it if they didn't immediately outdate the Rift I picked up a few days ago. :p

8. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

haha, if you are late to the game, pay the price! :D
    Its probably at least one year until anything new comes out thats worth upgrading.

9. steveh2112

steveh2112

have you seen the demo's? they look pretty good considering the hardware in use and freedom from wires and the price point makes it VERY interesting i think. i'll get one as a user for sure, but would like to start developing something now to port later

10. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Oculus sent me two Rifts with Touch for free when I contacted them. If you haver a good video of your game they probably will send you one too.

11. steveh2112

steveh2112

awesome, my son works at facebook so i'm trying to get him to get me something too

12. unity_17maca

unity_17maca

I have a trash computer at home. When I run my VR game in Unity, will it run on my PC or on the Oculus Quest hardware?

13. sxa

sxa

If you build it for the Quest and upload it onto the Quest, it'll run entirely on the Quest.

14. unity_17maca

unity_17maca

Can I run the game on the Quest in Unity's game view? So I still can use my trash computer and I don't have to build it every time when I'm developing?

15. sxa

sxa

Im not sure I quite understand your question. Are you asking if you can use the Quest as if it were the VR output for the PC, ie as though it were a wireless Rift?

16. unity_17maca

unity_17maca

I have seen in Youtube videos that you have to build the game every time when you want to test it on the Quest. That takes some time and it’s hard to debug. Is there a way to run the game in the Unity program, but still use the Quests hardware?

17. Ostwind

Ostwind

No, Quest hardware does not have video input support and Unity only supports PCVR in the editor play mode. Even Oculus recommends using Rift while developing.

If you don't have a Rift or any other PCVR you could use a hacky way, eg. ALVR/Vridge with the Quest and set Unity platform to Desktop while doing main work and sometimes switch back to Android to build on the device and test real performance.