Search Unity

Guide to make human character to appear well in the game?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Grinl, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Grinl

Grinl

Maybe its just me but it seems most human models in Unity games are straight out of a Sims game or counter strike.
    Low detail and somewhat looking like stick figers and even then when in the game world they are running around it feels as though they have no weight if that makes sense.

either its the camera, the sound effect or the model itself.
    I would love to see something like the DAZ Generation 8 bodies for men and women
    seen here: https://www.daz3d.com/genesis8

Is there something similar available to Unity? is purchasing a licence with DAZ the only way? Even for a free game they require licence payments. Is there an alternative available? Maybe a guide to recreate these results with something else?

2. Bill_Martini

Bill_Martini

There are models of all qualities. Most games the models are displayed so small that that level of detail doesn't make sense. There is a performance price for high detail, if your targeting mobil that might become a problem.

3. mleeuwen88

mleeuwen88

Did you scale the objects down afther generating them?
    You can smooth / patch them up in blender aswell.
    As far as i know make human is the best free option for generating free to use assets.
    I belief they also have a marketplace for plugins, you might find beter quality there for a price (never checked it out)

4. mleeuwen88

mleeuwen88

Along sides make human you also have he option for manuel bastions plugin for blender, you will need to make clothing hair and texture.

5. Xepherys

Xepherys

You can certainly use them in Unity. See this video:

But, as mentioned, most games don't require that level of detail. Even most AAA games in Unity or other engines (include in-house engines) don't push that LoD to models.

For movement, it depends on what you're doing. Does the model have a Rigidbody? Is it moved via script? Is it moved via physics? You can have anything from a sprite to a Daz model, and movement from cartoonish to ultra-realistic. It depends on the needs of your game and the amount of time you put into it.

6. Deleted User

Deleted User

1.) Is/are Unity and/or Daz on/in a boat(s)

2.) If on/in boats, does Unity-boat have torpedoes, and can they reach whatever DAZ is

(I'm sorry)

But yeah you can spend your GPU on finger muscles or whatever, you have to think, that could be some NPC's brain (egh, compute shader) or just like, an entire scene worth of objects. But no, we gotta have finger muscles.

170+ transforms. For one character. Yuck. That's for pure CG. Hmmm, more yuck. I guess Genesis 7 outgrew the business lol

Edit, egh, I mean, I guuuuess you could buy some of these if you were maing like... Training software, but then why do they need to be this weird uncanny valley detail level; you've not gonna animate them well, all that extra work is just gonna be hell. This is a if-you-have-to-ask question man, to get that kind of detail level you'll need to learn a lot about 3D modeling, set up LOD at the very least, and by that time whoops you forgot that animation is a whole trade and you still haven't programmed a game. You're asking someone to tutorial like three different books.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2017