Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Guide To Converting Project To Use Havok Physics

Discussion in 'Physics for ECS' started by IceBeamGames, Aug 20, 2021.

1. IceBeamGames

IceBeamGames

Hey peeps,

I am sorry if this is a total noob question, but I am having real trouble finding anything that useful on the web. I was wondering if there is a guide to converting an existing project over to use havok physics. I have followed the havok quickstart guide and managed to get the sample pyramid scene working, and attached the havok visual debugger, but I have no idea where to start when trying this on my own project?

The (very limited) havok documentation doesn't talk about dependencies, but it seems to me that havok requires the "unity physics" package in order for it to work? And that seems to use the new DOTs system? Is that true? And if so, does your entire code base need to be rewritten with an entity system approach?

I really just wanted to try havok first, to see the performance gains, and the changes in how the game feels to play, before considering making he jump.

2. PhilSA

PhilSA

Havok does rely on DOTS/ECS, so the question would be similar to asking how to convert a monobehaviour project to DOTS. And the answer to that is that it's not really possible without re-writing most of the project, because all of the APIs and object/scene structures are different

Last edited: Aug 22, 2021