Search Unity

Guide: How to access Preview Builds for ProBuilder!

Discussion in 'World Building' started by gabrielw_unity, Dec 20, 2018.

1. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

(edited for clarity)
    Look, IMHO finding a bug is like peeking into Schrodinger's (theoretical, we hope) cat-box: the result only manifests upon measurement, therefore you created the bug, and you should fix it. I'm told that's not an option, so instead here's a super-simple guide to accessing preview versions, so you can try cool new features early, and help us find and fix bugs before the final version ships. An acceptable compromise, I suppose.

---
    Important! By enabling these, you’ll have early access to features that are still under development. That means you’ll experience a less stable Unity, so please use with caution. Additionally, we cannot guarantee when or if these experimental features will be completed.
    ---

Ready to learn? Great! Here we go:
    1. Open your project folder
    2. Find and open the folder named "Packages"
    3. Open the "manifest.json" file
    4. Scroll to the end of the file, and replace the last two lines with these three:
      },
      "registry": "http://staging-packages.unity.com"
      }
    5. Save the file
    6. Open your project in Unity, if not already open
    7. Open the Package Manager (Window > Package Manager)
    8. In the top of the Package Manager window, click "Advanced" and enable "Show Preview Packages"
    9. Select the package you want to install (ProBuilder, in this case)
    10. In the upper right, click the version drop-down and choose the latest (or any) preview version
    11. Click Install!
    That's it- you are on the bleeding edge of box building technology. Go forth and break it! Just don't forget to tell us what broke, and how you broke it, with which versions...and thanks very much, your help is invaluable! :)

---

FAQ:

Q: I don't see the package and/or preview versions?
    A: Close and re-open the Package Manager window.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
    tarahugger and Kurt-Dekker like this.