Search Unity

Guidance for project

Discussion in 'World Building' started by Artist_Dragon, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Artist_Dragon

Artist_Dragon

Good morning! (Sorry for possible grammar mistakes. English is not my mother language)

I am a young 3D generalist that just finished college. I have two projects in development but I don't know how to start with one of them.

This project involves visualizing data in a 3D environment. Using spheres for example. I'm aiming at showing around 10 million data units. But the FPS start decreasing with 40.000 3D objects (My PC doesn't have a good GPU, that could be the issue). I am planing on making it more simplistic. The user would be choosing what to check from more simple (Metadata) to more complex (Singular data). So I wouldn't be showing 10 million data units at once.

The question is... is it possible to make a 3D environment with 10 million 3D objects at once without breaking everything? If not, I have another question. How would you do to make 3D objects float and orbit around a bigger 3D object? Think about a galaxy of data, and each planet would be a 3D object holding data.

I'm already testing all this with C#, but if anyone can show me some guidance, I would appreciate it.

Thanks a lot!!

2. Antypodish

Antypodish

Hi,

Your best option would be using ECS
    Entity Component System and C# Job system
    providing you just work on simulation.

But if you just starting journey with C# and Unity, this may be heavy nut to bite.

Artist_Dragon likes this.
  3. Artist_Dragon

Artist_Dragon

I've never heard of ECS. I'll check that and see how it works.

Yes, I'm starting Unity and C# since that's what I learned at college. I'm aware this is going to be hard. But If I just work simple things, I won't ever learn.

Thanks a lot!!