Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Guidance for optimizing server resource usage?

Discussion in 'Game Server Hosting' started by dchipman, Jun 2, 2023.

1. dchipman

dchipman

I'm trying to reduce the CPU usage threshold of my servers, but could use some clarity on specifics to Multiplay.

The server application target frame rate is configured to 20, with vsync off. I'm able to connect a remote profiler by IP, which is very helpful and shows that besides some occasional spikes, frame duration generally stays under 16ms (which should leave plenty of headroom for a target of 20 fps). The Multiplay server dashboard reports the CPU usage going as high as 3Ghz, which I guess is quite a bit higher than I was expecting.

So I have a few questions pertaining to this effort:
    • Is the CPU usage reported on the dashboard a high watermark, or an average value?
    • When a session is terminated for exceeding resource limits, is this based on average usage or can a sudden spike trigger the threshold and cause the termination?
    • Is the hardware consistent across all server instances? In other words, is there some frame duration to CPU frequency usage conversion I can use to use as an optimization target?
    • Are server instances relegated to a single CPU core? If not, is the CPU usage a summation of core usage?
    • Obviously every game has different usage and needs, but is there a "sane" expected range of CPU usage you generally see or would recommend?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2023