Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.

Guidance and Setup for 2d Isometric 8-direction Bone-Based Animation?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by ZolnierGames, Aug 6, 2022 at 2:43 PM.

1. ZolnierGames

ZolnierGames

Wow, that title was a mouthful! So, would love some best-practice guidance as I embark on taking on 2d isometric (8 direction) animation using bone-based skeletal animation.

I have a properly structured and layered PSB for my Player, grouped by each major direction (up, down, sideways, NW, NE, SE, SE) with all body parts separated out as you see here:

Player
    -Down
    ---ArmL
    ---ArmR
    ---ForearmL
    ---ForeArmR
    ---[etc...]
    -Up
    ---[same parts, etc,]
    -Left
    [and so on...]

So, for best practices here, I assume I need to set up separate sets bones for each direction (Down, Up, Left, etc.) and put the animator controller at the top "Player" layer so I can control each direction from there, correct?

What else do I need to know to properly set this up for success? What are the tricks to making sure that a controller that controls multiple directions/sets of bones works well and any tips on building my sets of animations (ie, idle animations for each direction, running animations for each direction, etc.)

Do I need to make sure I "disable" each unused layer as I build an animation sequence? For example, when creating a RUN animation for my LEFT character, should I disable each other layer (up, down, etc.) specifically in the first frame of that animation?

Thanks for the help and "perspective" on this! (pun intended, I guess... hah!)

unityunity