Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

GUI.tooltip only available in EventType.Repaint

Discussion in 'Immediate Mode GUI (IMGUI)' started by nafonso, Feb 17, 2008.

1. nafonso

nafonso

Hi,

Is there a reason for GUI.tooltip only being available in EventType.Repaint? The reason I'm asking is because I wanted to see if a mouse clicked on a gui element once or twice, and to know if it is with the mouse over, I used tooltip. However, the clickCount is only available in EventType.MouseDown, which means that they aren't both active at the same time.

Do I have to workaround this situation?

Regards,
    Afonso

2. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

Yes - for performance, we don't always record it (and sometimes we don't even know!), so you need to cache it in a local string.

But isn't what you want something like
    if (GUILayout.Button ("DoubleClick Me!") Event.current.clickCount == 2)

3. nafonso

nafonso

Well, for the click count I could surely use that, it's just my mind hasn't got quite use to something like GUILayout.Button( "click me", "label" ); hehe :wink:

But I need to use guitooltip also, because I want to select a whole line, which is made of various strings, and I have to use a mechanism to know if I'm hover any of them to highlight the others. Here's a screenshot of what I did:

I got it working with GUILayout.Boxs and MouseDown + clickCount, but since it is kind of ugly, I'll re-implement it with Button just to look cleaner.

Thanks for the tip!

Regards,
    Afonso