Search Unity

GUI Texture color

Discussion in 'Immediate Mode GUI (IMGUI)' started by whittlong, Dec 19, 2007.

1. whittlong

whittlong

Am i correct in understanding that the ability to change the color of an individual GUI texture in runtime (not a global tint), which was part of the old GUITexture class, is currently not part of the new UnityGUI system?

If this is the case, has anyone come across a clean workaround?

2. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

Well, you can apply the "global" tint to a single control :) If you want to only color the background graphic and not the text on top, try something like this:

Code (csharp):
    2. GUI.backgroundColor = Color.Red;
    3. GUILayout.Button ("I'm the Red button");
    4. GUI.backgroundColor = Color.White;
    5. GUILayout.Button ("I'm back to normal");
    Now, if you want this as a more general-purpose thing, you just extend UnityGUI... Something like this:

Code (csharp):
    2. static function TintButton (position : Rect, text : string, tintColor : Color) {
    3.   // store the old GUI tint color.
    4.   var oldCol = GUI.backgroundColor;
    5.   GUI.backgroundColor = tintColor;
    6.   var retval = GUI.Button (position, text);
    7.   GUI.backgroundColor = oldCol;
    8.   return retval;
    9. }
    Stick this in a class, and you can now do
    Code (csharp):
    1. MyGUI.TintButton (Rect (10,10,200,40), "Why oh why does the GUI not support this out-of-the-box?", Color.Red);

3. whittlong

whittlong

hahaha. i appreciate both the humor and the help Nicholas. That should get me off and running fine for now. thanks.

4. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

Cool! This way of extending UnityGUI small pieces at a time are the way to go...

When I designed the system, I took a look at what various games did, and found they did just about everything (buttons that wobble on MouseOver? yup, animated rainbow buttons? check, random sound samples? indeed). So I focused on making a solid base that is easy to expand in small pieces for individual games.