Search Unity

Feedback gui layout

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by laurentlavigne, Sep 18, 2020.

1. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

every few major update of the hub gives the hope that something will be done about that layout.
    and it never is.
    some suboptimal elements seem to be made for a purpose of being inviting to new users - a mistake given the complexity of unity - while others have no purpose and can be logged as bugs or oversights.

so here is a list and i'll let you sort out those that fit the purpose in the hope those who made sub optimal decisions won't let their ego feel threatened. The goal of this is to better a tool that we use every day, and when prototyping I can tell you that we see a lot of the hub. It's called the hub after all.

the top bar is too vast with little information density
    upload_2020-9-18_12-28-51.png

the search bar is still hidden behind a button which makes no sense in 2020 - every app has search bar ready for input by default. There is tons of space to place it. And consistency it should be like in unity: always there.
    and because the search field is hidden behind a button i use the scrollbar so it's then obvious that the vertical layout of projects is still 2x too tall
    upload_2020-9-18_12-27-29.png
    which is why the scrollbar is so tiny
    it is sub optimal on desktop, on laptop it is bad.
    why is the menu so huge? unity cannot be used on a touchscreen which is the only reason why you'd want that
    upload_2020-9-18_12-30-31.png
    finally the icons are lacking the il2cpp and console
    upload_2020-9-18_12-33-52.png

Attached Files:

marwi likes this.
  2. dreamer2

dreamer2

project list can also be divided with filters
    Projects (all)
    - Synchronized
    - Local
    - Cloud (available)