Search Unity

GUI 2 cancelled?

Discussion in 'Immediate Mode GUI (IMGUI)' started by orcinus, May 27, 2013.

1. orcinus

orcinus

I have a Pro trial at this moment (v 4.1) and I don't see the new GUI 2 Editor that has been in development and announced for 4.0 for almost a year now:
    http://blogs.unity3d.com/2012/06/29/the-new-gui/

Has it been cancelled as an idea in favor of forcing us into Scaleform?

2. Dantus

Dantus

3. orcinus

orcinus

That is most unfortunate. I presume release date is not available and since Nicholas left Unity, we shouldn't hold our breath either?

4. Dantus

Dantus

They are working on it. But as the new GUI will depends on lots of new functionality like nested prefabs, a timeline, ... we have to be patient and let them do their job. I am sure Nicholas was not the only person working on it. At the moment at least Aren Mook, the guy who implemented NGUI, is working on it.

5. Tiles

Tiles

There`s already a new guy working on it. The one who made NGui.

6. orcinus

orcinus

It is very hard to plan timeframes for a real product without estimates for critical tools like new GUI model. I hope this will happen sooner than we have to start implementing production GUI.

7. Dantus

Dantus

If you want to be on the save side use an alternative from the asset store. There are several really good gui implementations.

8. dkozar

dkozar

I often wonder why they didn't build on top of a temporary base solution, and when those are finished switch to them? That's how it's often done in programming (and engineering in general).

btw I'm also using prefabs with my system - currently I cannot nest prefabs within each other, but when prefabs 2.0 are ready - it should work. But that's just a detail.

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  9. Dantus

Dantus

It is rather pointless to discuss that as we don't know the internals. Of course it is common to use temporary solutions, but as you know it can be very complex. As far as I know Unity makes a lot of changes like the mentioned ones and further things like a new event system because of the new GUI. So there is clearly a reason why they want those features. In that case it makes sense to avoid any temporary solutions.
    Beside that it would be wrong from a political point of view to tell the Unity community: "Hey there! You waited so long for the new GUI. Now here it is... with placeholders for some core features..." The reaction from the community would be interesting :) .

10. arkon

arkon

And there is the reason why Unity won't be in any hurry to implement something that will eat into asset store sales. They must make a fortune out of everyone buying 2d GUI frameworks for unity, why kill that cash cow?