Search Unity

Guesswork - 3D word puzzle game

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Tom163, May 22, 2009.

1. Tom163

Tom163

After a long pause, I've returned to Unity because I had this inspiration:

http://web.lemuria.org/~tom/unity/Guesswork.html

AFAIK there's no game like this in existence, so even if it's a small thing, it's unique and I like that. :)

I'm currently pondering turning this into an iPhone game, though controls will be a bit tricky.

It's not yet 100% done, but I consider this to be the final version with only more words (current wordlist is only about 120 words) and some polishing left to do.

Feedback welcome.

2. Tom163

Tom163

Darn, it's broken.

Apparently, when you use Finder to create a .zip, it decides to just skip a script or two, which means your resulting Unity build will be... well, broken.

Sorry. Will fix this on monday, can't get to the source before then.

3. DC9

DC9

I don't know where it's broken. I just tried the game out and it worked fine.

This is a really neat idea. The concept is fairly simple - word puzzle. The introduction of the first person action and 3D elements work really well at drawing the player into the game. Good job.

One thought I have for improvement would be once the player has made the guess correctly, automatically move the camera to centre and back far enough to clearly see the result.

Edit: Windows XP/Firefox - I just ran it again without any problems.

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

It crashed on me (running Firefox on a Mac) when I hit Start Game.

5. lues de fabulam

lues de fabulam

Nauseating.

6. Tempest

Tempest

Fantastic. :)

I enjoyed it, though it took me a moment to realize the word was German.

7. Tom163

Tom163

Ok, I fixed it now, english words, latest version, etc.

Sorry for the troubles.

8. Tom163

Tom163

Ok, put that into the version that's online now. It's a good suggestion, though I did kind of like the feeling it created when the word "rose around you" when you guessed it while you're right in the middle of it, or even between the letters.

Maybe later I'll make it an option. Plus I think I should move the camera further back than the starting position, so that the entire word is visible.

9. Tom163

Tom163

Yes, that was the broken part. Please try again now, I checked (same configuration, Firefox/Mac) and it works fine for me.

10. Tempest

Tempest

I agree with you. I like how the letters "rose around you", instead of it being perfectly clear upon completion. The main goal is to solve the puzzle, not read the word. The puzzle is complete when the words rise, not if you can read it, and I think that is conveyed to the player.

One thing I did notice was that when you revealed letters by using the "?" hints, they sank, so when the word "rose up" the hinted letters were offset from the rest of the word.

11. Tom163

Tom163

Yes, I know. And when you use the "hard" difficulty settings, where it uses lowercase letters, the parts below the baseline go into the ground.

That's some of the reasons why it's not yet finished. :)

12. Tom163

Tom163

Uploaded new version. Bugfixes, some feedback considered, a couple all-around improvements.