Search Unity

GTA V minimap and radar system

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by imDanOush, Mar 25, 2017.

1. imDanOush

imDanOush

Hello.
    My in-game city is huge (As big as Miami) So I need a mini-map and radar system just like the one in GTA IV or GTA V but I don't know where to start making them, Are there any asset that does so? Would be very happy if someone helps.

2. Murgilod

Murgilod

Do you have defined roads or do you just have a map the size of Miami?

EternalAmbiguity likes this.
  3. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

I recommend googling "unity mini map system" rather than making new threads, because you'll get multiple asset store hits and more than one tutorial.

Martin_H likes this.
  4. Murgilod

Murgilod

I'm willing to bet that the OP wants a GTA style GPS system as well, given the ridiculous size of their map, which most assets and tutorials don't cover.

5. cdarklock

cdarklock

It's a pretty simple concept.

- Allow player to select desired position from map
    - Find path from current position to desired position
    - Overlay visual indicator along path your AI would follow

If you can't figure all of those things out, your game is never going to be released anyway because none of your world's inhabitants know how to go anywhere and even if they did you don't know how to display them doing it.

6. Murgilod

Murgilod

Oh, absolutely, it's simple enough. But unless you define your roads, which I'm willing to bet the OP hasn't done nor do they have any intention of doing, your pathfinding will take you through carparks and gardens on your way to the destination.

7. cdarklock

cdarklock

And their traffic AI has the same problem, which clearly they will need to fix.

8. imDanOush

imDanOush

As a test I did defined the newly created roads in a test scene with a custom A*-path-finding system but I didn't do that for the main project. However the roads are still being built, so I can define them after I make them.

What I mean by "something like GTA" , I actually mean a map system that uses an SVG file which is being streamed and being functioned just like the one that the game has. Not a simple top-down camera. I couldn't find a clue for it on the Net. I just searched the Net very quickly so I might missed some good tutorials, though.

Bingo that is the exact point, I want to make a SVG supported Stream-able map with GPS just same as the one that GTA V and GTA IV has.

Good points I like your post, there is a misconception there so I try to clear it:
    The path finding system for the map and for the "inhabitants" that you called are two different systems. I will use a custom A* path-finding system for the actual "inhabitants" and the others like cars but lets - for the sake of simplicity - assume I use the unity's Navmesh system - Which I've already used for my AI class in a university - but this is not linked to a map system (I haven't thought about it, though). Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think those two are actually one system in GTA V or GTA IV.
    So we can conclude that if a game doesn't have a "gps-minimap system" then that doesn't mean its inhabitants and cars couldn't find a path to their destination. Hope this cleared up.

I actually did that as a test, that is easy as I did it after I had added a new road network, it does take too much time if the new road network is connected to an older one. But how could this help make the radar? Is it possible to make an SVG file out of it? what is the idea you guys have.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  9. cdarklock

cdarklock

A map is just a picture of a place. If you identify a specific point within that place, you must be able to find the same point on your map, if only to say "you are here" to the player. And if you can do that with where the player is, then you can do that with where the player is going, and with every waypoint between the player and the destination. And then you can draw lines between them.

It doesn't have to be "linked" to anything. The path exists in the world. If the map reflects your world, the map can reflect the path. All you have to do is draw it.

10. Frednaar

Frednaar

Maybe this could get you started
    http://www.siepman.nl/blog/post/201...ection-Create-your-own-navigation-system.aspx

you could create those nodes by hand or by extracting some data from easyroads (crossings ?)

to display the minimap the usual way is to create prefabs with 2d or 3d objects (circles, or spheres) which have different layer from the 3d view layer and show them only to the topdown camera...

hope this helps
    Fred

ChakibChemso likes this.
  11. ChakibChemso

ChakibChemso

yo, anything new with this thread?
    it's 2020 and I'm searching for such solution lol
    and ye I think the node idea is the same used in rockstar games' games* that can be obviously noticed when u change the road given by the GPS

*the new ones iv/v

12. ChakibChemso

ChakibChemso

updated link :) : https://www.siepman.nl/blog/create-your-own-navigation-system-with-a-graph-node-and-connection-class