Search Unity

GT Grass

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by wuy420, Aug 23, 2022.

1. wuy420

wuy420

GT Grass is a well optimized stylized grass with the geometry + tessellation shader, which allows you to paint mass quantity on any surface. Built-in, URP and HDRP are supported.

Unity Version: 2019 and above
    Render Pipeline: Built-in, URP, HDRP

Asset Store Link: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/vfx/shaders/gt-grass-230939

Please leave a post or contact via yanart0606@gmail.com if you encounter any problem.

Key Features
    • GT Grass can be used in open world environment with massive quantity of grass
    • You can paint grass with a built-in painting tool.
    • Simple Lit and Unlit shaders are included in Built-in and URP, and Lit and Unlit shaders in HDRP
    • A base texture is supported. You can use this to customize your vegetation to be grass or flowers.
    • The Grass Diversity can be adjusted from color, width, height and bend.
    • The Wind Map is supported.
    • The Player Interaction is supported
    • The GPUInstancing is supported so you can repeatly use the same grass mesh.
    • The Fading System allows you to optimize the performance on GPU.
    • The Data Management System allows you to easily manage your grass data during development.
    Example Scenes are included, showing you how to use GTGrass in Built-in, URP and HDRP. A documentation is included. Please check out the Read-Me before using GTGrass.

v1.0.3 Released:
    • Interaction with multiple characters is supported now. Instead of setting the interaction radius and strength on the material, they can be configured differently for each character on GTGrassPlayerInteraction.cs now.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2022
  2. Crzed

Crzed

3. wuy420

wuy420

Thank you for leaving a post here. GTGrass is trying to be better as much as it can. Both of the link and GTGrass have pros and cons. Minions Art did a wonderful contribution to the community. If you have time to dig deep in and only need several core features, you can try the link and it is free. It can allow you to paint grass in a relatively small environment in Built-in / URP.

However, GTGrass provides these additional features:
    1. HDRP Lit and Unlit grass.
    2. Custom shape of the grass.
    3. Procedurally mesh generation so that you can have a fading system.
    4. Data management system allows you to reuse the grass easily.

4. wuy420

wuy420

For anyone encounter the following error when making a build

Assets\Downloads\YanArt\GTGrass\Scripts\GTGrassPainter.cs(7,19): error
    CS0234: The type or namespace name 'SceneManagement' does not exist in
    the namespace 'UnityEditor' (are you missing an assembly reference?)

Please add #if UNITY_EDITOR and #endif in the GTGrassPainter.cs at line 6 and 9:

Code (CSharp):
    1. #if UNITY_EDITOR
    2. using UnityEditor;
    3. using UnityEditor.SceneManagement;
    4. #endif
    This will be fixed in the upcoming version 1.0.1

Last edited: Nov 22, 2022
  5. wuy420

wuy420

If you have compilation error when importing the package and don't have Universal RP and High Definition RP installed, please follow these steps to avoid the errors.

If you are using Unity 2020.3 and above, you can add this line to the very beginning of the first SubShader block in GTGrassSimpleLit and GTGrassUnlit shaders:

PackageRequirements{ "com.unity.render-pipelines.universal" }

Add this line to the very beginning of the SubShader block in GTGrassHDRPLit and GTGrassHDRPUnlit shaders:

PackageRequirements{ "com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition" }

If you are using Unity 2019.4, you can import the Universal RP and High Definition RP from the package manager as a workaround. This will be fixed in the upcoming version 1.0.2.

6. CPULL

CPULL

Hello. Just bought and installed the asset.
    I was reading the documentation and it says to "initialize" the GrassData.
    But there is no button to do it (the image in the doc is not the same as the inspector.)
    I tries to find what obejct is but all I try gives me erros.

How I can use this asset? I am in version 1.0.3 and Unity is 2021.3.15

7. wuy420

wuy420

When you first create the GTGrass GameObject, right click in the hierarchy and choose "GTGrass > GTGrass". The INITIALIZE button should show up as long as the Grass Data and the Mesh are null. By default when you first create the GameObject, the Grass Data and the Mesh are set to null, so you should see the INITIALIZE button.

CPULL likes this.
  8. CPULL

CPULL

OK. It is working, thanks.
    In the instruction is written to "add the mesh renderer, filer, and component" and if you do this the "initialize" is not there.

9. wuy420

wuy420

Thanks for declaring the confusion. I will rephrase the documentation in the next version.

10. PaulaCharlotte

PaulaCharlotte

Hello, I just bought GT Grass to paint grass in my HDRP project but I have some shader errors (screenshots below).
    I can't use GTGrass_HDRPLit shaders.
    I tried to use the Unlit shader and I followed the instructions in the PDF but the brush is not painting or showing.
    I uploaded screenshots of my GT Grass and Custom Pass settings in case someone sees I missed something...
    Thank you very much for your reply! Error_01.PNG Error_02.PNG

Attached Files:

11. wuy420

wuy420

Hi! Different version of HDRP has different changes in their shader library. In your picture, it shows that you are using 14.0.6. What Unity version are you using? I will upload an update about this version afterwards

12. backwheelbates

backwheelbates

Hi @wuy420 can your grass be spawned automatically on terrains? Can terrain layers be used to control the spawning?
    Thanks!

13. wuy420

wuy420

Hi @backwheelbates , you can spawn the grass on terrains with the brush tool coming with GTGrass. Unfortunately, terrain layers cannot be used to control the spawning. However, you can still use the grass with the terrain in another way. You need to create a child gameobject of the terrain and use GTGrass there. There are examples in the asset to show you how to use the Grass with terrains. I hope this is helpful.