Search Unity

G's Forest

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Garen, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Garen

Garen

2. drJones

drJones

wow that's beautiful. the swaying vegitation really adds a nice subtle touch to the scene. FYI there seems to be some blue artifact around some of the boulders in the water reflection. 30 FPS +/- on an Intel iMac for full bump version.

the quiet ambiance you've created would be great for a myst type game.
    amazing job.

3. Morgan

Morgan

Really cool! And not a small environment either. The next realMYST?

The variety of plants is great, and the stereo sounds adds a lot!

One oddness I notice: the reflected waterfall is slimmer than the real one.

4. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

That's really nice Garen. Very calming with the sounds and the swaying foliage. They should use something like this in stressful office jobs... "Steve, you look really stressed out today. Take a 15 minute hike in the virtual forest." :wink:

The FPS controller seems a little too small/low to me, like you're walking around as a wolf or something. I'm only getting 10 frames a second (bumped version), but it felt like it was much higher than that.

5. Randy-Edmonds

Randy-Edmonds

That was impressive! absolutely beautiful. Thanks for sharing it.

I saw from a previous post, you are learning Maya and Unity. Do you have much prior experience with 3d modeling? What do you think about Maya? Is it worth the money?

Also, did you use a shader to do the swaying vegetation?

BTW... P4 3.06Ghz with Nvidia FX Go5600: I got about 20fps on the Bump Mapped Version, jumps to over 40 when i look straight up (for whatever reason). On the Faster Version I get 40 all the time.

6. taumel

taumel

Hi,

the enviroment is beautiful but to be honest i was more impressed by the stills. Some of trees are very beautiful some aren't - those at the end of the level. The person who is walking seems to be very small as all the plants, also the small ones like the farn are too big in relation to a normal person (if i'm not a dwarf, hobbit, goblin or whatever.
    One thing i really dislike is that the clouds are not moving. You have the wind blowing in the leaves, glowflys or whatever dancing in the air, the water somwhow running but as soon as i look at the sky the clouds are nailed there forever. This doesn't look right in my opinion. And the water doesn't look like water but that of course isn't your fault.
    Two things to the terrain. If you take the right curve left of the right tree it happened to me that fall into a tiny hole where i only came out if i jumped or rotated till it was really flat. It's a bit unlucky there. And the second thing was if i jump on a stone before the waterbridge(?) where the water runs through and so got behind the bridge i fell through the water...at least then i had 50fps... ;O)

The rest was running with something about 9fps (bumpmapped) on my mini...

Regards,

taumel

7. klindeman

klindeman

Think you could post a regular UB standalone player? I really wanna see how this looks at full resolution on my 23".

8. klindeman

klindeman

Because it isn't at the native resolution.

9. taumel

taumel

You've read too fast...i got it already... ;O)

10. Garen

Garen

Thanks for the comments! The water will look totaly different depending on your graphics card. It looks like a blue ripply thing and runs at 3 fps on my old G4 at work. :( I probubly should have adjusted a lot of things, added moving clouds and such, but I didn't. Maybe next time. I realy appreciate your thoughts. it's the best way to learn.

randyedmonds, my only experience with 3D was with Zbrush, wich is completely different than your normal 3D apps and is kind of backwards to start with, but gives you instant satisfaction. Zbrush has got to be one of the coolest apps out there besides Unity of course. Now Maya on the other hand, is such a huge overwehlming program that can do just about everything. If I was a big company or a much smarter person (to learn everything Maya is capable of) then I would fork out that much money. Instead, I bought the student version of Maya for a price I could afford with credit card payments. I didn't know Blender existed when I bought Maya. Damn this hobby is getting expensive.

Oh yeah, the vegetation was done with this shader http://forum.otee.dk/viewtopic.php?t=1498&highlight=blowing+wind
    23"!!! You spoil yourself :D . I'll post one friday or saturday, but my frame rate will probubly still suck. I have a lot to learn.

Does anyone Know of a good step by step tutorial for creating light maps in Maya

Thanks!
    Garen

11. Morgan

Morgan

Funny--I liked the trees at the end best :D

(One thing that might be cool is moving lights of some kind--because that really shows off bump mapping. Maybe the sun rising and setting or something.)

12. guategeek_legacy

guategeek_legacy

Love it! I get from 25 to 50 FPS in the browser and 45 to 50 FPS when I run it in full screen. I also love those final two trees, the ones that are more artistic and creative. If you do get a stand alone let me know I want to play it at full res also. Keep up the great work! Jeff

13. thylaxene

thylaxene

14. AaronC

AaronC

Cool-Best yet....
    My player got stuck a couple of times, but cranked at about50fps w bumped settings... Good work man. Dont be shy of developing a game...

AC
    The Harps business looks fun-lets hear some in a game uh?

15. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Very very nice indeed...bumped version gets 40-50fps on my G5+X800. I was able to escape the environment by climbing the rocks in a few places, which was fun. :) The mouse control in full screen was very jerky, which turned out to be due to USB Overdrive...funny, 'cause that doesn't happen with the standalone player, full screen or not (and doesn't happen with the web player in windowed mode). Guess I should report that as a bug, eh?

--Eric

16. jamie

jamie

This is really nice, very inspirational! I loved the two 'twisty' trees at the end too, thought they were the best! :D

17. Mr-Logan

Mr-Logan

Heya Garen, just tried the web game, i have a pc with
    Pentium D 2X2,8ghz (both clocked to about 3.5ghz), geforce 7800gt and 2gbram

i had a constant fps of 43-45 on the bumped version (even if i jumped off the cliff think it may be broken)

btw as said before the waterfall could have been a lot better, maybe try using a mesh next time. (the only place where the waterfall actually looks right is if you stand on top of the cliff opposit the waterfall)
    Reflections of stones in the water were much to blue
    and some of the trees had branches sticking out of them instead of growing out.. looks a bit odd but not somthing most people would spot,
    the waters animation is also to fast, half speed should do it.
    and clouds should defenety drift past.

All in all though it was very impressive. Especially the leaves, the fact that light and shadow can be seen through them, and the bloom effect also nice, textures were also good. didnt find any streached and wierd looking ones, grass blowing in the wind also a nice touch. ambient sounds in the background.. i mean as said before its a very relaxing experience..
    you should almost make a little alien planet with mysterious plants and biology and old ruins and stuff ^^

but absolutely unbelievably well done considering that you havent done anything similar before

EDIT
    just tried the unbumped version too and had same framerate, so its probably just not able to go any higher then 45/46'ish!?

18. podperson

podperson

Pretty. Nice except for quirks with the FPS controller ... and no reset if you fall off the edge of the world.

Averaged about 20fps (bump mapped version, although I don't think it works on my card) on a dual 1GHz G4.

19. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

web players cap the frame rate.
    You can probably go to fullscreen for more fps.
    (Or less depending on what resolution was used)

20. Mr-Logan

Mr-Logan

switched to full screen, no real difference.

Btw, perhaps you should make specular maps, for some of the rocks close to the water, give them a shiny (wet-ish) look
    (dunno how much control you have over maps etc in unity though, as i havnt tried it out yet =/ )

21. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

Very nice looking even on my radeon 7500.:) The very first thing I did is escape the map, now I can acctually go look around ;)

22. Guest

maybe... :)

23. Garen

Garen

Here is the stand alone for the two of you that wanted it. Everything is pretty much the same. I didn't make anything better so the waterfall still looks like poop.

Sorry It took me so long. I hadn't played a game in a while so I bought Prey and kind of got distracted. It's a lot better then I thought it would be. The detail they put into the game is beautiful.

Thanks again for everyones suggestions and comments. I think I'll leave it the way it is and start something new.

15.63 MB is kind of big so go ahead and take it off when you want.

24. Richard_B

Richard_B

Garen, looking very good - make some more! :)

25. Venkman

Venkman

Garen-

I noticed your trees casting shadows on the the rocks around your scene. Did you bake a lightmap in Maya or is that vertex lighting?

I would love to see a shot of your UV texture map, particularly any light maps you used. Work has kept me away from Maya and Unity so I haven't been able to experiment with it myself.

26. Garen

Garen

I haven't had time to try out light mapping either, so I just threw in a light cookie to add in some irregular shadows. If you want to see a good light map you could check out the FPS tutorial. My UV mapping skills are embarrassing right now :oops:

27. guategeek_legacy

guategeek_legacy

You will get the hang of it. I'm just starting to get results that I like with Mayas UV tools, sure is a time consuming process. Can't wait to see what your next project is! Jeff

28. Venkman

Venkman

Hey, it worked right? That's what it is all about!