Search Unity

growing mesh particle renderer proportionally

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by BouliBouli, Nov 21, 2013.

1. BouliBouli

BouliBouli

This might seem like a dumb question, but I see no way of doing this without having to remake entirely the prefabs I spent days working on...

So, I'm building a space scene for a supernova. A star is in the center and it explodes.

I spent several days making mesh particle renderer (legacy) experiments for the explosion, the beans of light it would emit and so on...

Turns out that when I started doing the star and the planets, they have to be much bigger then the mesh particle renderer prefabs I fine tuned for days. What should be a particle model explosion of a star is like 1/100 of the size of a simple moon on the scene. It simply disappears compared to the star size.

I really like the effects I've achieved, I would like to grow their proportion so they remain behaving and looking the same way as they do in their small size, but in a proportion that fits the star explosion, but I couldn't do this.

If I grow the entire object on the scene, it looks different, if I grow the emiter, the particles remain small, if I grow particle size... The main problem is that some prefabs are complex, with 3, 4 different particles.

Is there a way to make legacy particle prefabs bigger while keeping the look? Making the rest of the scene smaller would make the planets look too small (It's an oculus rift experience, so they have to be huge). I was thinking about making the camera 'smaller' with all the rest of the scene while particle prefabs remain the same... But that just seems weird.

Heres one example, this is a simple prefab from the FT impact effects package:
    $Screen shot 2013-11-21 at 3.39.11 AM.png
    Any ideas?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013