Search Unity

Ground Plane not Working

Discussion in 'Vuforia' started by QianXiYa, Nov 14, 2018.

1. QianXiYa

QianXiYa

Hi,
    I downloaded the vuforia core example from the assetstore, packaged it and installed it on my phone

①.XiaoMi 8 SE : Ground Plane not Working
    Logout :
    session.cc:1117 FrameHitTest while not tracking. Returning empty list.
    ②.HuaWei P20 Pro : Flash back to run
    Logout :
    /usr/local/google/buildbot/src/android/ndk-r13-release/external/libcxx/../../external/libcxxabi/src/abort_message.cpp:74: void abort_message(const char *, ...): assertion "terminating with uncaught exception of type AR::pL::platformCV::ARCoreCPP::ARCoreException" failed
    * Assertion: should not be reached at mini.c:2215

My unity version is unity2018.2.14
    Vuforia version is 7.5.26
    Phone ARCore version is 1.5

2. meedabit

meedabit

Official Vuforia Employee Vuforia

Hello,

And you're observing these failures when running our unmodified Core Samples?

Thanks,
    Vuforia Engine Support

3. QianXiYa

QianXiYa

I don't quite understand what you mean. I haven't changed any code

4. meedabit

meedabit

Hello,

I don't know what error messages I'm looking at in your post. I don't see anything familiar from our samples.

You may just be facing an unsupported device for the Ground Plane feature. Vuforia Fusion will first try to select the platform CV solution (i.e. ARCore), and if the device is not supported will try Vuforia VIO. Check your device model against the following lists:

https://developers.google.com/ar/discover/supported-devices
    https://library.vuforia.com/articles/Solution/vuforia-fusion-supported-devices.html

If your device is *not* listed on either, then the Ground Plane feature will not work.

Thanks,
    Vuforia Engine Support

5. QianXiYa

QianXiYa

My device supports ARCore, because I have successfully identified the ground plane with the unity plug-in provided by Google. I would like to ask you to take a closer look at the error message of xiaomi

session.cc:1117 FrameHitTest while not tracking. Returning empty list.

Because the background keeps printing this error

6. meedabit

meedabit

Hello,

This indicates that your device has not successfully detected a ground plane. Thus, a hit test (i.e. tapping on the screen where you want the object to be placed) cannot return a result.

Due to the nature of the technology, Ground Plane may not be able to provide 6DoF tracking in all environments. This article includes some information for an ideal Ground Plane environment: https://library.vuforia.com/articles/Training/ground-plane-guide.html

Specifically, the following is relevant to this issue: Ground Plane utilizes images from the device camera to understand the basic geometry of your environment. Therefore it is necessary to stage Ground Plane experiences in settings that enable the camera to accurately capture the details of the surroundings.

Recommendations:
    • Stable lighting conditions
    • Moderate lighting - not too bright or too dark
    • Avoid glare and dark shadows
    • Surface details help to reveal geometry and improve accuracy and performance
    Doing our own experiments, we've found that in areas with low detail surfaces we were able to improve the experience by taking additional time to scan the environment before performing the first hit test. While not guaranteed to work, we were able to perform 6DoF/positional tracking in a wide variety of environments such as low detail carpet, tiles, and pavement.

The basic thought is that the more information the system has from environment scanning (floors, table tops, etc.), the more likely you are to gain a 6DoF pose.

Thanks,
    Vuforia Engine Support