Search Unity

Ground plane is very unreliable

Discussion in 'Vuforia' started by Le_Tai, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Le_Tai

Le_Tai

I tried to use Ground plane according to the guide, but tracking quality is very poor: object doesn't stay correctly on the surface of the ground but some random distance into the air, they don't stay in place but move all over the place, sometimes they just slide out of view.

The camera also out of focus most of the time.

All of this does not happen in ARCore demo. I thought Vuforia use ARCore for ground plane?

Tested on:
    Unity 2017.3.1f1
    Galaxy S7 Edge
    Android 7.0
    Vuforia 7.0.47

2. Vuforia-Strasza

Vuforia-Strasza

Official Vuforia Employee Vuforia

Hello @Tai-Le

Vuforia doesn't currently utilize ARCore, but will be using it in a future version.

Thanks

3. jariwake

jariwake

@Vuforia-Strasza Now that Vuforia does support ARCore, I find it the ground plane tracking still not as good as with ARFoundation or with "pure" ARCore. Is this a known issue, or should the feature point and plane tracking be as good as with "pure" ARCore?

Also, every time I build my app I get this notification to console:
    "If you want to enable ARCore support for Vuforia, please follow the steps outlined in the library article below.
    https://library.vuforia.com/content/vuforia-library/en/articles/Solution/arcore-with-vuforia.html"

I have added the .aar file to the project as instructed. Shouldnt the notification dissapear then?

Im using Unity 2018.2.3f1 with Galaxy S8.

4. meedabit

meedabit

Hello @jarileon,

Apologies, but I cannot comment on the performance issues you're observing with ARFoundation or ARCore. Vuforia only allows the enablement of ARCore, via Vuforia Fusion, on supported devices.

I'm digging a bit further to confirm, but I believe the console message is informational only and is not meant to reflect whether or not ARCore was successfully implemented in your project (I cannot envision how this feedback would get to the Editor console to clear the error). If I hear otherwise, I will respond again to this thread.

The best way to confirm whether or not ARCore was successfully enabled on a device is either via Vuforia APIs (e.g. getActiveFusionProvider() ), or through Vuforia logging messages.

Thanks,
    Vuforia Engine Support

5. jariwake

jariwake

@meedabit , regarding this "If you want to enable ARCore support for Vuforia, please follow the steps outlined in the library article below. https://library.vuforia.com/content/vuforia-library/en/articles/Solution/arcore-with-vuforia.html" message: Is it really still necessary to include the .aar file in the Assets/Plugins/Android folder? At least with the latest Unity (2018.2.5f1) it seems that the Vuforia and Ground Plane detection works well without the .aar file and VUFORIA_SENSOR_FUSION is returned by the GetActiveFusionProvider().

Is the instructions just misleading or am I missing something?

6. Vuforia-Strasza

Vuforia-Strasza

@jarileon VUFORIA_SENSOR_FUSION means that you are using Vuforia's VIO and not ARKit or ARCore. Including the .aar file in the Assets/Plugins/Android directory will allow you to utilize ARCore. When ARCore is active, GetActiveFusionProvider() will return PLATFORM_SENSOR_FUSION.