Search Unity

Ground Plane crash on iPhone 6

Discussion in 'Vuforia' started by rgarrett7, Feb 4, 2018.

1. rgarrett7

rgarrett7

Ground plane does not work on my iPhone 6 Plus. I am running iOS 11.2.5, Xcode 9.2, and Unity 2017.3 Patch 4. Vuforia version: 7.0.47 .

Ground planes worked fine on my iPad Pro 10.5 using Unity 2017.30f3, but now they crash with Unity 2017.3 patch 4. I hate to roll everything back. I upgraded to patch 4 because the Vuforia documentation said I needed a later patch release to enable ground plane support for the iPhone 6.

According to Xcode, the crash for the iPhone is in UnityGfxDeviceWorker -> AddCreatedTexture(). The crash for the iPad is in a different location:
    UIApplicationMain

I am using the Astronaut prefab. Otherwise, the scene is the same as the Ground Plane tutorial, which as I said, works fine on the iPad.

Just for good measure, I tried using a plane 3D Capsule instead of the Astronaut. Same error.

Oh no, it is worse. I tried running an old scene with an Image Target. It crashes, too. These were previously working on the iPhone.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  2. Vuforia-Strasza

Vuforia-Strasza

Official Vuforia Employee Vuforia

Is the crash you're seeing in the Image Target scene the same one as the crash in the Ground Plane scene?

3. rgarrett7

rgarrett7

Yes, I think it was the same error. I submitted a bug report to Unity and got a reply back that they were investigating.

I reverted to 2017.3 Patch 2 (rather than Patch 4). Everything seems to work fine with that version. I have done both ground planes and image targets with an iPhone and an iPad.

4. Vuforia-Strasza

Vuforia-Strasza

The crash doesn't look to be related to Vuforia based on the message you shared above so I'm not sure how much support I can provide. Have you tried reproducing this in a simple Unity project without Vuforia?

5. rgarrett7

rgarrett7

Good idea! I did not think of trying a completely independent project. In any case, I submitted this as a Unity bug, and they are working on it. I mostly posted this message as a "heads up" to any other developers who might be having the same problem. I have been using Patch 2 for several days with no issues, so I will probably stick with that until 2018.1 non-Beta is released.

Thanks for looking at this!

Vuforia-Strasza likes this.
  6. AAK_Lebanon

AAK_Lebanon

Hi, I downloaded yesterday unity 2017.4.1f1 and I deployed my Vuforia AR project successfully to android, however today I wanna deploy to my iPhone (like I always do with the preview Version 7.0.47 I think) and when I start the app it will crash. I have an iPhone 6 plus with iOS 11.3. I am investigated right now and I am building a simple empty project to see where is the problem. I appreciate if anyone can help ...

7. Vuforia-Strasza

Vuforia-Strasza

Could you provide more information on the crash? Such as a screen shot or some of the text you receive when the crash occurs?

8. AAK_Lebanon

AAK_Lebanon

Sorry for the late response, I don't know why I don't get notification when someone replay in this forum.
    I don't know how I resolved the problem :) it was from a long time ago. however I am using now Unity 2018.1 and the latest version of vuforia ...

9. monark

monark

I'm seeing the same issue on starting ground plane detection but I'm using 2018.2.10 and 2018.2.14 with Vuforia 7.5.26

Funny thing is I have 12 identical projects but with different resources and 9 work and 3 give me this error in UnityGfxDeviceWorker -> AddCreatedTexture()

0x1004484e4 <+60>: mov x19, x0 —— UnityGfxDeviceWorker (33): EXC_BAD_ACCESS (code=1, address=0x1)