Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Ground plane and Vuforia AR+VR Sample

Discussion in 'Vuforia' started by Sithdown, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Sithdown

Sithdown

I've been trying to use the Vuforia AR+VR Sample on iOS and the default scene works fine detecting the astronaut and switching between AR and VR.

I'm having some problems, though.

If I add a ground plane it is not detected on runtime. When I touch the screen to place an object on the ground the console says the device tracker is not initiated. I tried enabling it manually but it gets shut off automatically. I'm trying it on an iPhone 7 with iOS 12.

Any ideas?

2. meedabit

meedabit

Official Vuforia Employee Vuforia

Hello @Sithdown,

Under what conditions are you trying to use Ground Plane? In VR mode?

Thanks,
    Vuforia Engine Support

3. Sithdown

Sithdown

Yes, I'm trying to use the ground plane on VR mode.

I have it working -sortof- on Android, but the ground plane is not anchored to the scene at all and seems to drift over time.

On iOS, the device tracker is not initiated (even if I force it) and ground planes are not detected.

4. meedabit

meedabit

Official Vuforia Employee Vuforia

Hello,

The issue is related to using Ground Plane while in VR mode. VR mode is strictly 3DoF only, and does not support the camera. Ground Plane is 6DoF and requires real time camera frames to be aligned with IMU data.

The Ground Plane feature is based upon Visual Intertial Odometry (aka VIO). Thus, it needs visual features from camera frames to properly function. This is the same for ARKit and ARCore.

Thanks,
    Vuforia Engine Support