Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Grid of planes with edges randomly flickering

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by jameskanestl, Nov 24, 2017.

1. jameskanestl

jameskanestl

Hi, forum squad -- I'm working on an office-like maze design that just uses a very modular pattern of 5x5 unit hallways (x3.5 units tall) composed of Unity planes with a carpet texture, and a light stucco texture for the walls and a tile texture for the ceiling.

This looks fine in a lot of places and blends seamlessly. However in other random places within the same scene, using the exact same primitives, textures, prefabs and geometry, there are border lines between the planes that are pretty noticeable when the camera/player is moving.

There is no overlap in the geometry, but neither should there be any gaps. All planes are scaled to .5, or 5 units in length, and are set exactly 5 units apart. As I said, in many cases this works fine. Elsewhere, randomly, greyish seams appear. And the locations where it looks bad are always the same.

What am I doing wrong? I've tried messing with the player camera near and far clipping planes, but it has no effect. I have also tried setting the texture Wrap Mode from Repeat to Clamp. I just don't understand why it works in same halls and not others. Any help much appreciated!

Good:
    good.PNG

Bad:
    bad.PNG

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  2. jameskanestl

jameskanestl

Well, I fumbled around and found a solution eventually. In my scene lighting settings, I changed the lightmap size from 1024 (set by default) to 256. The number of jobs in the baking blew up, but the took about the same amount of time and now I have smooth textures throughout now. Not sure if this is the optimal solution but I'll take it. Thoughts, anyone?

3. jonglaaa

jonglaaa

did you get a better solution?