Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Grfx Drivers and Computer Stability in Unity

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by ippdev, Jun 6, 2020.

1. ippdev

ippdev

One thing does concern me. I had 2019.3.0f15 open to my working scene. In the background I was using the system Uninstall app and uninstalling all older versions of Unity and other useless apps. I was given a warning at choosing uninstall for Unity 5.5.0b8 that I have to close my working scene in 2019.3.0f15 to uninstall. Why is it referencing the first Unity version installed on that machine from 4 years back?

2. ippdev

ippdev

Lower resolution had the same result.. Screen tears and silent crashes to desktop with no crash logs.

3. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

This sounds like more of a Windows issue than a Unity specific issue. Sometimes multiple application in Windows will reference some of the shared DLL files. Maybe that is what the Windows uninstaller was concerned about. As a general rule on Windows, don't install or uninstall anything while you are trying to work. Sometimes there is a file being shared by multiple applications. I even recommend rebooting after any major install or uninstall, just to make sure nothing was stuck. Windows 10 is better about this stuff in general than older versions, but Windows can still be picky at times.

adrolter, ippdev and JoNax97 like this.
  4. bobisgod234

bobisgod234

If you can find the crash dump file (https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/LogFiles.html) and configure VS to use (https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/WindowsDebugging.html), then you can open the dmp file, and inspect the stack yourself. Might get some insight in to why the memory address is null.

I would suspect that there is some single problem that is causing both the graphical glitches, and the crash. Trying to access null memory addresses is a virtually unrecoverable error, it is unlikely that the Unity Player makes any attempt to recover from it. There are a billion things that could cause this error. Bad memory, bugs in Windows, drivers, Unity, slightly unstable CPU, corrupt dlls etc.

The SymGetSymFromAddr64 errors are just saying that it is unable to get a human readable name from the stack dump. These aren't causing any crashes.

Martin_H and ippdev like this.
  5. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

It is also worth running a malware scan, just to be sure there is no malware messing up the computer stability. I strongly recommend using MalwareBytes Anti-Malware. That is the best software for detecting and removing malware on Windows PCs.

I do not recommend the paid version with the constant active scanning, though. That gets in the way. I recommend the free mode, which you can run manually. On an important workstation, I would recommend manually scanning at least weekly.

If it detects anything, remove the malware, reboot, and then run the malware scan again. Repeat the process until it stays clean.

ippdev likes this.
  6. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

Another thing I recommend is booting the computer to Memtest86 (with a bootable USB or CD), and then let Memtest86 run memory tests for a few hours. Sometimes Windows will have weird problems that are caused by hardware instabilities. Memtest86 can detect some of those possible hardware issues. It is definitely worth running Memtest86 if you are running into strange instabilities.

adrolter, Martin_H and ippdev like this.
  7. ippdev

ippdev

Thanks for the advisories folks. I will do it after some well deserved sleep.

ShilohGames likes this.
  8. ippdev

ippdev

FGThe one issue here is that most crashes are silent. There is no crash dump file to investigate. Since June 1 I have had hundreds and there are only two crash logs in the temp folder.

9. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Heya, just saw this thread (been really busy last couple of weeks). I assume this is a new issue that started happening recently? As in, it's different than the one you were facing a few months ago?

Even for silent crashes, you can generate crash dumps using this method: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/wer/collecting-user-mode-dumps

Make sure to use DumpType = 2 (Full). That way it will capture as much information as possible. Once you have a dump (it will probably be pretty large), compress it to a zip file, upload to Google Drive/OneDrive/DropBox/etc and send me the link. I might be able to figure out what's triggering it.

It's hard to say whether the graphical glitches are caused by the same issue without having more details.

angrypenguin, adrolter and Martin_H like this.
  10. ippdev

ippdev

Been getting one after the other in the motorcycle sim scene. One terrain and a motorcycle and a character with IK. OTOH I have been in the terrain scene and getting work done without too many silent crashes. 100 terrains and tons of trees. I have cleaned everything and reinstalled Unity from scratch, made sure that the GTX 1080 is the card running Unity and everything else uses the onboard Intel chip, opened as Administrator. I am going to get another computer in about two weeks with AMD processor and AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT just to get work done. Will do the above mentioned. I am curious as to why. The build of the sim hasn't crashed ...yet..but I have not run it alot.

Edit: Never used Registry before. So I navigated to LocalDumps and created a key named Unity.exe and it has a folder looking icon. The Name = (Default), Type=REG_SZ, Data=(value not set). Looking at a similar one for Cinema 4D.exe it has four keys under the main key but they are not folder looking icons but entries one below each other in the folder like I created for Unity.exe. The C4D one has a default like I get initially. I cannot get any more entries inside my created Unity.exe. It will only create subfolders. How do I do this?

Edit #2: I am opening Unity..I left the default Registry Key for Unity.exe there until I get proper procedures to go thru. I did hear hard drive massive clicking which I never heard ever when opening Unity. Editor crashed after about 15 seconds. Second time opening I did not hear the drive

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  11. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

You can add additional values by right clicking on the blank area:

upload_2020-6-12_19-47-4.png

12. ippdev

ippdev

Got it..was thinking I had to create a new key for each entry..at least I think I got it.

13. Seratonin

Seratonin

I still have an issue with 0xc000005. However, I have a 2080 founders and a 3900x. Not sure what to do anymore but it’s refreshing to me that I’m not the only one to have this problem.

14. ippdev

ippdev

Solved my problem with a new AMD card. Given the amount of research I did and the way nVidia ignored this specific issue for years I am never again spending money on a nVidia card.