Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Greyed out / locked inspector

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Marc-Saubion, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

Hi.

As the title says, I do have some un-editable assets because the inspector is locked when I select them. Renaming the asset unlock it but it's back if I put the original name. Same if I move it to an other folder.

Some of these assets are mine so I don't understand why they are locked. This is new since 2018.3.something.

Anybody knows why it happens? I tried to do some research but only come up with results from last year or older.

Thanks

2. kdgalla

kdgalla

Are you sure you can't edit them? The new post processing profile object has all the default values greyed-out to indicate that the default settings will be used, but you should still be able to change them.

3. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

Certain. If you look closely you'll notice everything is greyed, an not some part of the post process. This issue also affect materials: same deal, I can't edit anything and have to temporary rename them to do so.

I submitted a bug report but my project is too big to be sent. since this is present on two of my project, I hope I can find someone else in this situation.

Thanks

4. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

Mystery solved. It wasn't a bug but feature lacking indication.

Since last week I have replaced Collaborate with Plastic scm and used the corresponding version control setting in the editor preferences. As it turns out, if you haven't "checked out" your asset, unity will keep them locked. There is a window proposing the user to do so on situations like prefab edition but in the inspector, it's a button in the right bottom corner and this is not obvious this is linked to it.

Renaming the object unlocked it because Unity will automatically check out the asset in this scenario.

5. LensLens

LensLens

Sorry, Where is the button you pressed to make the attributes editable?
    Even Renaming my asset doesn't make it editable. Is there something else i can do?

6. LensLens

LensLens

Even when I create a new material my inspector is greyed out!

7. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

It's the "check out" button you can see in the lower right of my screenshot. If you don't have it, ut's probably because you are not using a version control tool like plastic and your issue might come from somewhere else.

8. ElderGodfather

ElderGodfather

Thank you soo much, i just did that and solved my problem which was of ripe age of 1 and half hours, thankyou soo much