Search Unity

Grenade physics

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Not_Sure, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

I'm struggling to get the physics down for my grenade launcher.

I'm wanting to get something close to quake:

But as of right now the grenades tend to cling to the ground and roll. They don't stop. Also, I've got telescoping every other shot.

I'm currently using a sphere collider and here's the setup for my physics:
    Dynamic Friction: 0.75
    Static Friction: 1
    Bounciness: 0.25
    Friction Combine: Multiply
    Bounce Combine: Maximum

Any suggestions?

2. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

At a guess I would say increasing angular drag would be useful to cut down on the roll. Or you could leave it as-is, and have a script that reduces angular velocity after collisions.

What is "telescoping"?

YBtheS likes this.
  3. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner

Could you just not use the physics engine at all? Usually when I want exact control over how something behaves, I script it myself.

I'd move it in the Update function and do a raycast to determine whether or not it's current path is clear. If it hits something, I'd do a Vector3.Reflect on it's trajectory to bounce it off of a wall (as well as reduce it's speed.) I have a weapon that works very similarly to the Quake grenade launcher and that's how I did it.

Personally, I'd be concerned about the size of the physics objects anyway for grenades. I'd think it' be quite easy to accidentally toss one though a wall. Unless you use continuous collision, which is expensive.

Martin_H likes this.