Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Greenlight] Where do you post to get gamers attention?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aldo, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Aldo

Aldo

Lol that was thinking that you had no money to buy pro so it would be a classic 1-4 non payment studio for X time. No one would be rich but I have seen people waste 10k - 60k and not get 1k back :p

2. Aldo

Aldo

3. cgoz.com

cgoz.com

You got my yes.

I recommend you to improve your shaders and lighting in the future.Your environments seems cool but no actual focal points created by lighting in the scenes.

I also recently submitted our game, about 5 days ago and now attention on the game is almost zero so it's all about the spreading the word and the votes you get in the first two days.Now i lost my believe on that but will try to boost the attention in the future via social network PR, that's the only way you have.

I got 500 yes so far and about 200 was on the first day and 20-30 of them are people I'm in contact with.Also your close friends and colleagues have to play a big role and share your product genuinely on their fb or twitter accounts without repulsing anyone.

good luck with it, your game obviously has potential.

4. Aldo

Aldo

Thank you cgoz.com, I will do some extra research on lightning.

Also, which is your game and % of yes votes? (I am refreshing like very minute to see if it changes XD)

5. cgoz.com

cgoz.com

this one is mine
    Steam Greenlight :: Mirrored

Currently I have %37, which sounds terrible, I have a %8 ask me later.
    It was %55 yes in the first two days and started to drop and i got a comment saying put more gameplay and i was kinda late to do that, probably lost too many potential upvotes, live and learn, isn't it?

I will make a page update today along with an IndieDb page, will share the results here if you want?

6. Aldo

Aldo

You made an escape the room? I love those!!! Watching your game has quality and everything I believe I might end up having the same outcome.

Please do, I made the IndieDB page today (thinking it would be better to start it fresh) and it will take some time for it to be published >.>

7. cgoz.com

cgoz.com

Well basically it is a story-driven puzzle adventure but calling it "escape the room" is an easy way to describe a game with only one room :)
    I updated the page, added some images to make it more rich and tidy.I've created an IndieDb but it's now waiting for confirmation.
    I'll update you.

Aldo likes this.
  8. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Well I think you should try to redo the trailer maybe. I want to be able to understand it in a 30 second spot. "Mind-bending puzzles, non-Euclidean geometry, two realities, engaging storyline". (or whatever it is). Though it probably wont make a difference now anyway.

So it seems like you need thousands of votes and the guy gave away free copies to get his game greenlight. I am guessing you have to get some external traffic from somewhere else to get greenlight.
    http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/ColmLarkin/20140611/219126/Getting_Your_Game_Greenlit_In_2014.php

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  9. Aldo

Aldo

At this time it is between 1k and 3k votes in first 15 days, and yeah I have seen that many of the 7 day greenlit games offered up to 2k freekeys, I won't do that.

From today I can say that most of my external traffic has come from twitter (and I am a nobody there)

10. Aldo

Aldo

Yup about the same, first day after going to bed 200 votes, 25 hours 300 votes (total).

I believe 30-50 votes came from friends and twitter while the rest are from steam itself

11. cgoz.com

cgoz.com

Agree with you about the freekey offers, on the other hand I've started an ad on Facebook to boost a post about my steam page and paying FB (Which I don't like)...So it might be an option to give free games to potential fans instead of giving money to these corporates.
    p.s. don't try that FB ad thing, you are just getting fancy hit stats, no actual effect unless you spend thousands, well at least on my experience

12. Aldo

Aldo

Oh FB didn't make 1 sell on a game for IOS at the studio I work for

On the other side groupees.com contacted me for a greenlight bundle,
    Same thing about the keys, you give like 3k -6k keys, you get some thousand yes votes and hope valve won't mind.

And you get a share of the bundle but not that much.

13. frosted

frosted

Hey guys,
    I'm trying to prep my game for release. I'm in an incredible time crunch and running solo.

Because I have so little time and I need to try to actually finish the game, I need to really prioritize the time I spend on PR and prep for the greenlight release.

Seeing you talk about FB/twitter/etc and share real numbers is incredibly valuable.

Why question for you guys is:
    what produces the most bang for the buck? If you needed to triage out as wasted time as possible, what sites/techniques are the most effective? Which elements require the most active participation?

14. Aldo

Aldo

You need press, some Spanish small site made a post about my game and it pumped the stats (like 30 votes, but those are 30 more than I would have).

Also make an IndeDB at least a week before you start (I am still waiting for it to be accepted)

And try using twitter (I don't understand it but you get feedback fast)

15. frosted

frosted

I've heard a lot of conflicting information about indiedb - although the closest thing to a consensus is: you get out what you put in.

In terms of indiedb, how much value does this provide?
    Is it more about people finding it through indiedb or is it more about people using indiedb to track a project they're already interested in?

16. Kaji-Atsushi

Kaji-Atsushi

Anybody have any recommended blog platforms to start a game dev blog?

17. Kondor0

Kondor0

IndieDB is pretty useful, you can write articles/devblogs and they make you appear in the front page, also you can see stats showing where your visitors come from.

18. Aldo

Aldo

cgoz.com did you also get a huge boost of % today?

I heard they are taking down cheaters but 10% is a lot!

19. olaHalo

olaHalo

That sucks too because it was a very good game with great reviews
    I think they released for free recently through Xbox Games with Gold and it got a lot more exposure

20. drewradley

drewradley

Heck, I'm happy to have made it 12% of the way to the top 100 without any real marketing. I plan to start marketing my game, I'm just too busy preparing it for final release. Gonna get it up on all the platforms first, then put out a bunch of press releases to the various game review sites and see what happens. Got Android and PC done. Going to do a Kindle build tonight and with any luck an iOS and Mac build this weekend.

She's not much of game, but I'm proud of her. My first finished game. Eight hours of gameplay aint bad for a one person game I guess.

21. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

I just wanted to bump the thread to show you this game got on steam, was made by the same dev who made the slaughtering ground. I just think theres something wrong (he just used asset packs from the asset wholesale -- but decent games cant get through).

22. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

I guess if people are very familiar with the Unity Assets they may sit there and say "hmm looks like a Unity asset" but I think few people are really so familiar with the items to even notice and many wouldn't care anyway. The important thing is this reviewer seems to be kind of "getting into the game" even while he is pointing out the flaws. Appears to have a lot of chests and other containers to loot. Environments "feel" right. Battles seem well done as far as enemy movement speed, projectile speed, damage inflicted and so forth. The magic net is a cool touch. Overall it looks great for an Early Access WIP in my opinion.