Search Unity

1. Looking for a job or to hire someone for a project? Check out the re-opened job forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2020 LTS & Unity 2021.1 have been released.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Great move from Unity, Dark Mode is now free in the recent update for 2020.1 and 2019.3 LTS

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tmcdonald, Aug 12, 2020.

1. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes. Weeks ago.

And largely out of the reach of anyone that couldn't afford the cost of Unity Plus. Yes, some of the benefits will be able to be taken advantage of, but if you can't afford $40/mo for Unity Plus you definitely can't afford the cost of the assets needed to truly take advantage of it.

2. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

Just saw Dark Theme in the patch notes and literally yelled "Holy S***" out loud. It was that surprising. :D

3. neginfinity

neginfinity

There was a large discussion about this feature weeks or months ago, BUT.

As an indie, you won't be really producing those kind of assets in the first place.

ethanicus, vakabaka and tmcdonald like this.
  4. MDADigital

MDADigital

You dont need to, atleast not the megascans, they are part of the megascans library. Though I wouldnt be surprised if the tempel also is part of the library, its huge

5. neginfinity

neginfinity

Libraries are nice and all, but you really need to produce your OWN assets at this quality level to utilize this tech, otherwise you'll end up with a 3d rpgmaker game.

ethanicus, Ryiah and tmcdonald like this.
  6. tmcdonald

tmcdonald

What, you're not going to play my hot new game with photorealistic wastelands and programmer art models I slapped together in Blender?

Energy0124 likes this.
  7. neginfinity

neginfinity

(Yeah, I understand it is likely a joking comment, but)

I'd be much more interested in entire game being made with programmer art compared to programmer art being mixed with eerily detailed assets, because in case of everything being done in single style there will be a higher chance of some sort of cohesive vision. At least that's how I see it.

Basically mishmash of quality level indicates a low quality product, and over time reused assets become recognizeable and their use will result in a "samey" feeling. Which is what I meant by saying "RPGMaker game".

I'm sure I mentioned this earlier bunch of times, but daz 3d models are good examples of this happening. They became recognizable over time. Also, if you have high def model, and your game requires it to has a different clothing set which you also do not HAVE, that will be a problem unless you're capable of producing high res assets on your own.

8. MDADigital

MDADigital

You can Kitbash pretty amazing stuff with the quixel library, example.

Energy0124 and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  9. hopeful

hopeful

Just wanted to say thank you to Unity for the dark editor mode!

It's not the most important change, but it was a reasonable thing to do and I'm glad they did it.

10. Ryiah

Ryiah

Good luck getting character assets at that quality though.

11. neginfinity

neginfinity

Except you'll need characters and stuff they use and wear.

12. MDADigital

MDADigital

Artstation has great character artists. Will cost you a few grand if you want a custom one. But most will sell the ones they have for a few hundred but then there is a risk they will sell it to others, but it shouldn't be a problem for none hero characters.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
  13. Dev_Kittenz

Dev_Kittenz

To be honest I got a bit scared because of this after updating Unity.
    I thought it was a glitch and I somehow got the professional edition for free.

upload_2020-8-27_20-58-4.png
    In my opinion the theme shouldn't be called "Professional" anymore if it's free now.
    Light/dark theme would describe it better now.

14. khuongduy1897

khuongduy1897

Yay! They have updated theme name in 19.4.9f :D

upload_2020-8-30_15-33-5.png

15. Godrexofdeath

Godrexofdeath

No one is actually gonna make a whole scene with using assets. You have to make them. You usually use assets to make something on which you don't want to waste much time on. Cuz at the end it is your game. And no one wants a game with random assets in a level. Unity Plus is $480/year or $40/month while quixel megascans are free for all Unreal users. You can even use characters from paragon which are also for free. And if you want full levels if you hate level design then infinity blade assets are also free.

Mark_01 likes this.
  16. APSchmidt

APSchmidt

dogzerx2 and polemical like this.
  17. khanhabib

khanhabib

Strongly Agree

MadeFromPolygons and Mark_01 like this.
  18. repoluhun

repoluhun

AND you'll need Unity Forum Pro for that. I don't know if that's a thing yet but everything is possible.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  19. repoluhun

repoluhun

Yeah, Unreal is one beast of an engine.

20. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I agree that requiring the splash screen on personal projects has devalued the brand (and was probably a mistake), but don't agree that's all it has accomplished. I'm sure a large number of plus/pro subscriptions have happened specifically to remove the splash.

21. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Yeah, it’s the “nice game you got there, it would be a shame if people found out you were using... Unity“ business model.

unityunity