Search Unity

Great interview with David Helgason - UE4 has had no impact on Unity

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sicga123, May 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tatoforever

tatoforever

Unity folks would be very happy if you post those issues in this thread: here. :rolleyes:

2. thedreamer

thedreamer

@ tweedie I totally agree with you ..
    Unity talk about nice plan.... But nothing made .. Unity say "UNET" And a lot of people were impressed
    But they do not tell when are they going to release unet.....
    soon or.. 5.X?????
    This is just like that ugui I was disappointed with UGUI they say "* close..." In January
    but ugui expected to be in the summer. "* close" mean 8 month? Unity team is too late and too slow

I really do not want to experience like this again!!!!!!

Last edited: May 15, 2014
  3. tweedie

tweedie

Thanks tatoforever, I've been following that thread and probably should have posted it in there looking back :p I just don't know how I'd phrase the problems to them, as I don't want to start a GUI debate, which isn't really my point - I just don't want to be disappointed with waiting for another feature again.

@thedreamer, yeah this is how I feel, I've waited for features to come through before but they never did, it's only started to bug me more as I've got more serious about development.

4. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Tada!

--Eric

5. tweedie

tweedie

I know, I know! ;) I'm very happy to see this post. Also pleased to see they're aiming for patches every couple of weeks. I seem to have bad luck with posting things and a convenient post comes along 10 minutes later making me look like an ignorant berk :)

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

That's the thing about food and software. You've got code which can be a spaghetti nightmare, and in some respects this is a parallel with Unity. You can have a noodle pot you make yourself with sauce code, it's cheap and it does the job. Or you can can invest in Unity noodles, which are more expensive to begin with but have a consistency and taste you may prefer.

7. tweedie

tweedie

It's almost tempting to quote that post in my sig purely for the 'sauce code'. Admirable pun making.

8. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Maybe it's not bad luck, maybe it's magic powerz! Anything you write comes true 10 minutes later!

--Eric

9. tweedie

tweedie

I prefer this version much better ;)

10. cannon

cannon

I have two guesses as to what this could be, and if it does turn out to be either one of those things... :D :D :D :cool:

11. S-0-L-0

S-0-L-0

Unity needs to revise their freemium revenue structure to be more accessible to indies if they want the community to keep growing. Look at what you can get for $19 TODAY vs what you can get for $1500 when Mr.Helgason promises you. Unity 5 is not even a relevant argument against UE4 because its not even out yet, and by the time it is; it will be surely lacking most of the promised features until 5.6, just before they announce a new set of promises for Unity 6.

UE4 is the most fully featured/indie friendly solution TODAY for $19 (not even a month because you can cancel at anytime)
    Cryengine soon followed with their new licensing model for $10 (no royalties)
    Project Anarchy (Havoc's new game engine announced at GDC 2014) is completely free and royalty free for android and ios
    Autodesk is going to announce their own game engine later this year: http://www.autodesk.com/campaigns/bitsquid
    And who knows what other game engine sdk might hit the market next year

Unity was great because of its accessibility, but now game developers have even easier access to more powerful tools; so if Unity wants to stay a relevant player in the space its time to start making adjustments to the revenue model. Gamers and Developers are starting to move away from the freemium model for a reason, take a look at Google who just refunded 19 million to customers who were scammed by this sneaky revenue model.

Unity already has the largest community and I wouldn't be surprised if most if its revenue is coming from the asset store, I think it should open source as many tools as possible, if not the whole engine, lower the upgrade price or revise the entire pricing model to be the MOST ACCESSIBLE/LOWEST RISK since its definitely not the most powerful/cutting edge compared to UE4, etc.

12. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

I don't think it was worth reviving a 4-month-old thread to post YET MORE Unity vs UE4 stuff.

angrypenguin and AndrewGrayGames like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.